What made you a Muscle Car fan? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What made you a Muscle Car fan?

For me it was my father. He grew up during the muscle car wars. He had a few cars that would hold there own on the streets in the '60s and '70s like 409 Impalas, 390 GTA Mustangs, 65 GTO's and a real nasty '55 Chevy, he even had 62 Vette that someone had transplanted a duel quad 327 into, I think he said it never really ran right (cam was all wrong and carb's were messed up) . One of the cars he had was '69 Chevelle SS 396/375. When he turned 18 he inherited around 6 grand from his grandmother and did what any red blooded American teenager would do at that time. He went looking for a fast new car. He eventually had it narrowed down to the 1969 Chevelle SS 396/375hp 4 speed, bench seat, black on black hard top with the orange stripes down the sides, or the 1969 Road Runner 383/335hp, auto on the column, bench seat, hemi orange hard top with black interior. After test driving both of them more than a few times he felt that they were pretty well matched stop light to stop light. Of course with six grand he could have afforded a 440 or the mighty HEMI, when I asked why he had not test drove a HEMI, he said because he raced so many 383's with his other cars, and new what they could do, the hemi never even crossed his mind. Anyway do to his girlfriend at the time he settled on the Chevelle SS, she liked the interior in the Chevelle more than the Road Runner. Never under estimate the power of a hot girl on an 18 year old guy. So he's driving the new Chevelle around the streets of 1969 Seattle for a few weeks at this point, street racing and beating cars like 428CJ Mustangs, SS Camaros, SS Nova's, 442's , and GTO's. Thats when a good friend of his showed up at Golden Gardens (the spot in Seattle where allot of street racing went down) with the same orange 383 Road Runner that he had test drove just weeks earlyer. They started talking and my dad told him that he felt the Chevelle pulled harder in the top end and that he thought he could take the Road Runner heads up, although he had beaten some of Detroit's more popular muscle (at least in Seattle) he had not run any Mopars yet. So the bone stock Chevelle SS and show room Road Runner lined up. My dad said he felt pretty confident until he heard the stall starting to load up from the big block Plymouth. He rapped up the big 396 a few times to make him self feel better. Then all HELL broke loose! He let the clutch go and slowly featherd the gas to the floor. He had made it though 1st gear with good traction and went for second, going to 2nd the traction gave just enough for a good chirp or two. It was then that he looked over, 90 degrees from his driver seat was the Road Runners right rear quarter panel and he was starting to see some chrome from the bumper, he didn't panic he figured that he would make up some ground when the Mopar hit 2nd. Just then it did hit second, he had made up some ground but the Chevelle was still losing by a fender, he checked the tach it was reading 4600 and he started to prepare for 3rd,
the Plymouth was still slowly pulling away and he was back to staring at the 1/4 panel again. He grabbed 3rd and now was in uncomfortable position of seeing the glowing red tail lights of Road Runner out of the corner of his eye.
He still had hope that 4th gear and top end power would save the day. He herd the Plymouth's beefy 727TF hit 3rd and the 383's rpm's drop and start to clime again. It was time for 4th gear and the Chevelle's last chance. The shift was perfect! and the black Super Sport started to pull hard, his front bumper was on the Mopars rear bumper and gaining he checked the speedo they had passed 100 and the chevelle still had plenty of rpm to go. But unfortunately so did the Road Runner, as they came though the power band, the Plymouth started to pull away again, Dad new it was over and shut it down. The two cars raced many times after that, and the Chevelle only won when the Road Runner would loose traction off the line. Over the next year both cars had allot of speed parts throne at them and no matter what my dad did the Road Runner was always the faster car. The next year Dad traded the Super Sport in for the new 1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440x6, AirGrabber hood, 4 speed, Bucket Seats, Dana 60, HEMI orange hard top. Now he could take the 383 Road Runner 5 out of 10 times (Remember the 383 was no longer stock). He even took down a mostly stock '68 HEMI Charger R/T 2 out of 4 races. Now the time had come to make him a Mopar guy for life. All of his car buddy's were talking about the new '70 Chevelle SS and the new 454 LS6 that you could get in it. Should he have waited 3 more months for the new Chevelle?
The only way to find out was to take on the first one that would run him.
It took about 3 months before he ran across one. The guy driving it didn't want to race at first, but after a little s#%t talking he came around. buy now the 440+6 had headers and the sixpack had been tune in by the local Speed shop. They ran the two cars and the big 440 shut down the bigger 454 by a full car length. Thus my father was sold for life. I have grown up around Mopar Muscle my whole life and there is no other way, don't get me wrong I do respect and love all muscle cars. The '70 Road Runner is still in the family
and luckily my dad was always really anal about his cars and its still beautiful, so shes has never needed to be restored and we still drive her when the weather is good. I have owned 6 Mopars, my first car was '70 Dodge Dart Swinger 340, then I got a '67 Coronet R/T 440 Witch I still own she's pretty much a race car now and running 10.60s pretty consistently, the next car is a '70 Dodge Challenger R/T 383 Thats really impressive on the street with 562hp at the crank and an 833, under the hood looks dead stock if you don't notice the headers and the painted Indy heads. I've also got 3 project cars that are in different stages of restoration.
1. 1968 Plymouth Road Runner 383 95% done, stock resto
2. 1969 Dodge Superbee 426 HEMI (not matching #s) 25% done, She's in bad shape
3. 1970 Plymouth Cuda AAR 340+6 1% done, just started Disassembly

So as you can see I love Mopars and look forward to reading your story's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plymouth-roadrunner-1970b.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	27922   Click image for larger version

Name:	plymouth-roadrunner-1970h.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	27923  

Advertisement

Last edited by 67Coronetr/t; 02-11-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Body man

Last photo:

Personally. To keep this short. Growing up watchin my ol man and neighbor build them then hearing the constant sound of,

fraaaaaaapppp frapppp frapppppppp frappppppp. Personally. The sound of a fart muffler on a rice burner is quiet annoying after some time lol.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Why do the import guys think that crap sounds good.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Body man

Last photo:

Maybe you should read my post again. I said I hate them and the sound of the fart muffler they bring.

Tyler

I grew up watching my ol man and neighbor building old mussel cars. I also grew up around a rice burner (my brother built it) and it got OLD fast hearing the frapppp sound all the time from the fart muffler every time he started it up.

Im a mussel car kinda guy.

Last edited by chappell; 02-11-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Clear up my post
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

My dad always had muscle cars. Other than that, all my friends in high school were into hotrods and street racing on Friday nite and Saturday night.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappell
Maybe you should read my post again. I said I hate them and the sound of the fart muffler they bring.

Tyler

I grew up watching my ol man and neighbor building old mussel cars. I also grew up around a rice burner (my brother built it) and it got OLD fast hearing the frapppp sound all the time from the fart muffler every time he started it up.

Im a mussel car kinda guy.
I understood you, Ever since the fast and the furious came out the import guys think they can run my Challenger on the street. I'll smoke one every once in a while, but its normally a complete waste of time and gas.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Body man

Last photo:

Oh ok my apologies. I thought you were insinuating I was a rice burner fan. Complete opposite.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Rust Buster

Last journal entry: birthday surprise
Last photo:

5 Years old, laying on the back seat of dad's 68 charger. The sound....OOOOHHHH the sound! Hooked ever since!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 AM
cmscott

the sound of a big cam through flowmasters....the sound and feel of a full throttle pull from the drivers seat....and pulling up to the stoplight next to a rice burner and revving my engine to make his cd player skip!! LOL
Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I grew up with them, they were EVERYWHERE when I was a teenager............ Damn glad I was born when I was.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

I like them all, all muscle cars from Ford, Chevy, Mopar, AMC, I've got pics of my buddies 73 BBC Camaro & our 74 Camaro and a couple friends 70, 72 Chevelles and a 1 owner 69 Fairlane 428 Super Cobra Jet 4 speed with the drag pack, he ordered it when he got back from Vietnam and my cousins mini tubbed 66 Chevelle thats been in supper chevy magazine. my uncle hooked me on muscle cars, as he helped me with my 1st car, a 67 GTO. my uncle hooked me with his a 63 Impala SS with a built 427 & a M22 4 speed. he had a big block 66 Chevelle. and a Built 428 cobra jet & a 4 speed in as 69 Cougar. My 67 GTO beat several 69 and 70 Chevelle SS with 396 4 speeds. and several 1st Gen Camaros. there was a bad big block 2nd Gen Camaro around in them days, there was some quick 70 to 72 Monte Carlos and Oldsmobile 442s and Big Block cutlass and a couple bad Buick Skylarks. there was a quick 66 Buick Skylark 401 4 speed and some 69 & 70 Big Block 455 Buick Skylarks. there was a couple mean 66 Fairlane GTs and some 66 Fairlane GTAs with 390s & C6s, one was a 428 super cobra jet (the 66 Fairlane GTA with 428 SCJ & C6 is another story) plus others. but there was big & small block camaros chevelles & nova's, plus the Pontiac GTOs 64 to 72 & 69 & 70 Judges, and a few Fords. there was some Mopars around that held there own, mostly Road Runners, GTXs, couple 340 4 speed 69 Darts. there was a bad 74 Cuda with a built 340 and a 4 speed. I don't know anyone that bought a new muscle car in the late 60s to mid 70s. theres still some 66 Chevelles & several BBC & SBC 2nd Gen Camaros (we have one) theres still a 390 C6 1966 Fairlane GT around, a BB 55 210 post car. several early 70s Chevelles. a couple Novas. mostly these are ole rodders from the 70s. and theres some customs too that are more street rods with A/C & power windows shaved door handles & lots of chrome. mors show than go, but there cool.

my son in law had a 69 GTX, 440 4 speed that was complete and #s matching with a factory warranty replacement engine with paper work, everything but the original wheels were there. it was ready for a restoration but wasn't rusty. his dad bought it for him when he was 14yrs old in 95 when his mom & dad divorced. he sold it about 5 yrs ago for $10,800 (I think his dad paid $4,500) I talked to him about not selling it, but he sold it for part of the down payment on a house for my 2nd oldest daughter and him and my 1st grandson that was on his way.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:

when i was a year old my dad bought a 73 pontiac fire bird for my mom. old beat up pos but he cleaned it up really nice. it wasnt by any means a show car but she was a daily driver. anyway when i was about 8 my dad started teaching me how to work on it and it just stuck. it was 2nd nature to me. we still have the fire bird to this day. only difference with the car is that its up on blocks getting a full rebuild ground up. i grew up around a real classic muscle car and i loved it. i have so many memories in that car ill never get rid of it.

i hate the sound of fart can cars. they make me laugh because the owners think a fuel economy car can be fast with a muffler and a air intake. i love pure american muscle. just about every time i drive my car i get these cute cars rev on me wanting to race. i roll down my window and tell them they arent worth my gas. they get all butt hurt and turn up there music. puts a smile on my face

DEATH TO FART CAN CARS!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:15 PM

I guess I got into muscle cars from video games, Need for Speed and the like. I remember being very unimpressed by the ricer cars. Then I saw a '71 or '72 Chevelle SS, and thinking it was way cooler than the Hondas. When I was given my grandmother's old '73 Chevelle after she passed, I was all in. I know it's not a "real" muscle car, but who can afford a big block Chevelle, or a first-gen Camaro anymore? I know I can't.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:19 PM

muscle

My old man is an old time hotrodder from the 1950s--into flathead Mercs, mostly. So I liked gears from him, but then thought musclecars were for more for younger guys like myself!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:10 PM

muscle

My old man is an old time hotrodder from the 1950s--into flathead Mercs, mostly. So I liked gears from him, but then thought musclecars were for more for younger guys like myself!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.