What main bearings should i get for my 383 stroker? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What main bearings should i get for my 383 stroker?

I have a 1973(generation 1) Chevy 350 small block that is already .030 over. I am getting the stroker crank new, so i must use 350 bearings. From what i have been told clevite series h is the best for its buck. i am planning for about 400 hp. It has stock 4 bolt main.

Also i have the block at the the machine shop and i am ordering parts so what do they mean my upper or downward groove? and with the information i have given could you tell me.

Any heads new heads/ used heads you would recommend
i have old 1.94 heads that I can "rebuild" or buy 2.02s

And lastly if there are any comments or suggestions for my 383, please offer them so I can take them into consideration because i am still very early in the build?

thank you very much

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

If you are using an iron/cast steel (Scat 9000 type) street crank. "P" series bearings are more economical and work as well or better. These cranks don't need high radius/narrow bearings

I use "P" bearings in most street engines. They are more forgiving to contaminates in general use and will handle 4-500 horsepower.

Upper groove only. Full groove bearing use is way out dated. For street use you want the maximum bearing surface and conformability of a non full grooved type bearing.

I have built many 383's with 1.94" heads for street cars and street rods. Great torque and mid-range horsepower. Great in heavier cars/trucks.. Think,, How often is this motor going to rev 5500+ rpm?.

Most of Chevy production heads will work. No 624's, 305 heads, or pre 1973 heads. I have used port matched 882's (best of the worst) and made great performing "budget" engines.

Short duration high lift cams work well..
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM

ok thank you, and yes i am using a cast crank.

Also, std 350 bearings are correct right?
because on the summit website the journal size for the 3.75 stroke crank is one thousanths different then the std 350.

Do u recomend a kit for the heads?
or a valve/guide brand or any brand for certain parts of the head. and what kind of combustion chamber volume do the 350 1.94 heads create.
just wondering because i am planning to use a 5.7 rod with 12 cc dished pistons and i want to make sure i dont get to dangerous of a compression ratio.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Std 350 bearings are correct.

Being in the machine shop business. I usually have a lot of head cores around. Most 350 Chevy production heads are about 76 cc.

I usually mag/check the core, check for bad studs, bad/worn guides, repair with bronze liners, then mill .005-.010" to flat. I usually have a bunch of Vortec valves around. These are a good quality street valve, single groove and decent flow. Polish the back sides, cut two angles and install them in the heads that are lightly bowl blended, rough port match and three angled seat.

Most of these get a "Z/28" style spring and aftermkt steel 7 degree retainers. NO shields. About 110 lbs on the seat. Most of this type engine gets less than .500" lift cams so there is no problem with pulled studs, guide plates, hydraulic lifters and cam break in wear.

Blue Fel-Pro positive intake seals and rubber umbrella exhaust seals work great.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:56 PM

thank you for all the help.
just for future knowledge in most cases h series is really needed with a forged crank?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.