Hot Rod Forum banner

What Material Do I Need To Sandblast Under My Car ? ? ?

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  oldred 
#1 ·
Hi again Guys :welcome:

Bought a sandblaster from: HarborFright. I'm getting to be a Harbor Fright Freak :drunk: lol

I have little rust and ol' undercoating under my '66 Ford Mustang that I'm restoring. I didn't start the sandblaster YET.
I took a shot on the material H/Fright had on sale.

(25 lbs. of CRUSHED WALNUT SHELLS )

QUESTION(S) Is the the right material I should be using to clean-up the stuff under my car :confused:

My sandblaster is a 40 pounder.

Can you guys kindly tell me if I'm on the right street with this choice :confused:

THANKS GUYS
GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Schooner :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
Walnut shell is not abrasive enough to remove rust,and I doubt that it will remove undercoating either.
Even with heavy abrasives like copper slag,undercoating is still a real bugger to remove.
You might want to try and burn the undercoating off or scrape it off and just blast the residual bits.
I use about six tons of walnut shell every year for blasting wood( www.woodblaster.com ),and found it not very useful for anything automotive,you'll want something more abrasive,like copper slag or black beauty,kleen blast or even sand if that's all that is available.
If you don't have the proper safety gear,you WILL do some damage to your lungs.

#3 ·
You are going to wind up scraping or burning that undercoat off and then just blast the rust spots with starblast or one of the media mentioned..

That little 40lb blaster is good for spot blasting the areas you cannot get to with a sander or grinder..Which to my mind is a good way to go..

Sam

#4 ·
I will be blasting under mine soon. I have a ScatBalst (?) 99# pressure blaster though loaded with black beauty. This stuff cuts... I did remove most of the tar with a scrapper and heat gun. There where places where it was thicker than 3/8". I'm waiting till I get some epoxy primer before I even start blasting. Anything I have blasted before has pretty much rusted before my eyes afterward...

I have been using chem strip and navel jelly inside the car though. I Will hit some of that with the blaster also for those hard to work places, and real deep rust. It's a lot of work, but it's amazing seeing shiny metal on the floors of a 50 + year old car.

I'll let you know if it cuts to deep....

Good thing is it should point out any weak spots, and by point out I mean destroy.

#6 ·
First thing is get a GOOD RESPIRATOR!!! If you are using the 3 HP compressor you mentioned in another thread you will have to use a 3/32" nozzle in the blaster or you will not have enough air. Even the 3/32" is going to work a compressor that small pretty hard so plan on taking your time. Also DON'T!!!! sandblast body panels! You will warp them beyond repair! It is ok to use sand on the underside, engine compartment, door posts and rockers but it WILL ruin your doors, fenders, roof, hood, etc. With a compressor that small (assuming that is what you plan to use) and the small nozzle I would think you will need an aggressive small grain media like sand but some of the more experienced blasters here may have a better suggestion on what media to use. Properly used a sandblaster can be a really good tool but if you get careless with it you can totally ruin your car so be careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.