What is the Most Comfortable Car You've Ever Owned (or Driven)? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i had an old buick electra . i cant remember the year.im thinkin late 70's.had square head lights anyway.it was white in and out. leather with 60/40 seat.it was like floatin on a cloud.dang comfey car.now i got to go for mpg in these dang little beer can cars . my dad had a 63 caddy that road dang good.he let me drive it to school till i skipped and went to mexico in it.those 2 cars are my pick.they were nice old sleds.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

most comortable car

When I think comfortable, I think Big wheel base cars. now you asked about older cars too. Well that would have to be my buddies 1932 Shovel nose Packard. Had a Lincoln Rearend, and torsion bar front end, and a caddy 500 engine, Would cruise down the highway like on a cloud.

Bob
Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Test drive a Lexus. My wife's Camry feels like luxury after driving my little Tacoma all week. American car? Look at the Buicks.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Late model affordable

BUICK

They ride just about as nice as a TownCar or Vic/Marquis,
parkable in most spots, and get good gas mileage
Old 03-27-2011, 05:10 PM

I have owned "3" 1977-1979 Thunderbirds. I regret getting rid of every one of them. They ride like you are on a cloud. I'm currently looking for number 4. I anyone has one for sale pm me.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:10 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

The best riding/driving car I have owned was the Chrysler Cordoba with 400 engine. It was the quietest car I ever rode in, had enough power to stay in the fast lane, and the torsion front suspension could not be beat. I have owned a Riveria, good ride, and the wife has had three Eldos but none could compete with the Cordoba. My wife's brother in law was a design engineer for Ford and had a Ford product of his choice every year. He had several Town Cars and Continentals over the years, but they sucked hind *** to the Cordoba. Beamers/Mercedes: nah.

Trees
Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Buick Park Avenue Ultra. I fall asleep riding in the thing..
Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

most comfortable car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
Bob, Some people can sleep in a jeep, when off road. LOL

Bob
Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
OK stock? 59 Imperial rode like a dream but took two parking spaces to parallel park! I also had a couple of Pontiac's that rode good, a 69 GP and a 73 Catalina. Hard to go wrong with the older big Pontac's. Might as well toss in my dads 70 Chrysler 300 with the 440 too.
In my opinion, the Imperial is one gorgeous car, and worthy of its name. Some of these old Chryslers do look very comfy. Catalinas are very nice lookin' too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Probably a toss up between these three - '74 Ford LTD Brougham, the '97 T-Bird or the '79 F350 4x2 Supercab/long bed.

Softness - the LTD
Handling - the F350
All around - the Bird
A Ford man through and through huh? I rode in my buddy's '95 T-Bird and it really is very comfy. No surprise on the LTD; it just seems like a Grandpa car (no disrespect). Never thought a big heavy truck would be known for handling though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
My choices are going to come off as strange.
The best around town, good mileage, good handling, ok ride and power car I ever drove was a friend of mine`s 86 Camaro. It had a 2.8 with multi port injection and a auto trans. It was a easy to drive car and it was comfortable.
It was the most effortless car to drive ever, I could steer it with my pinky, the brakes were really sensitive, it idled smooth as silk. The carbed 2.8`s before it were complete slugs, but the multi port injection it had was wonderful, it had good power and throttle response.

Second car would be my former car 1986 Olds cutlass supreme 2 door. It was the best riding car I`ve ever ridden in to this day. I lowered it 2 inches front and rear and it had a 350 chevy and a 350 tranny with a 3.23 posi rear. After I lowered it, I installed Cragar super star wheels and wide BFG radials. I also added KYB shocks. Afterwards, it still rode just as good as it always did, but it would hang a curve like a corvette, talk about the best of both worlds, I thought I could pull it off which was why I built it for performance and luxury, and the two usually don`t go together. I still have it but it`s been parked for years. It spent time up north for several years with it`s former owner and it had body and floor cancer pretty bad from the salt. now it`s pretty much a parts car as a friend of mine also has one like it. I hope to get another one in the future.
I have never thought of Camaros as very comfortable. My '96 Z28 is alright. I have not driven a stock-suspension 3rd gen so I can't say much there. However, after owning an S10 with a 2.8, I've become a huge fan of that motor. It just ever dies and delivers good gas mileage. But I digress... I have heared on several occasions that Olds cars are very comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7
The most comfortable car I've ever been in was my first car, which was a 1984 caprice. Thing was tough as a tank too.
I do like the shape of those, along with the fact that yes, they are indeed built like a tank. Plus, plenty of space for some cheap performance mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by denunger
75 Olds Toronado. No tranny hump. Yet, a tighter suspension tha the big 98s, or Bonnevilles.
I've always been curious about that car, especially after I read about Jay Leno's build (not sure what year his was). Do you figure the fwd lay out helps with how it rides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer69
i had an old buick electra . i cant remember the year.im thinkin late 70's.had square head lights anyway.it was white in and out. leather with 60/40 seat.it was like floatin on a cloud.dang comfey car.now i got to go for mpg in these dang little beer can cars . my dad had a 63 caddy that road dang good.he let me drive it to school till i skipped and went to mexico in it.those 2 cars are my pick.they were nice old sleds.
Big, roomy comfy... they just don't make 'em like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
When I think comfortable, I think Big wheel base cars. now you asked about older cars too. Well that would have to be my buddies 1932 Shovel nose Packard. Had a Lincoln Rearend, and torsion bar front end, and a caddy 500 engine, Would cruise down the highway like on a cloud.

Bob
Thats an interesting combo. I bet it also packed a nice punch on-tap when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Test drive a Lexus. My wife's Camry feels like luxury after driving my little Tacoma all week. American car? Look at the Buicks.
I second that. I really miss my '95 Camry. In the family since new, driven by everybody and there momma (except mine, 'cause it was a stick). As boring as it was, it was very comfortable. Perfect for afternoon power naps at work too. Boy, Buicks are really getting the vote today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
Late model affordable

BUICK

They ride just about as nice as a TownCar or Vic/Marquis,
parkable in most spots, and get good gas mileage
I imagine they are also much cheaper to insure than their luxury counterparts and siblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBlazer
I have owned "3" 1977-1979 Thunderbirds. I regret getting rid of every one of them. They ride like you are on a cloud. I'm currently looking for number 4. I anyone has one for sale pm me.
I guess 'comfy' is a T-bird trademark. I can personally vouch for the ninties' models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
The best riding/driving car I have owned was the Chrysler Cordoba with 400 engine. It was the quietest car I ever rode in, had enough power to stay in the fast lane, and the torsion front suspension could not be beat. I have owned a Riveria, good ride, and the wife has had three Eldos but none could compete with the Cordoba. My wife's brother in law was a design engineer for Ford and had a Ford product of his choice every year. He had several Town Cars and Continentals over the years, but they sucked hind *** to the Cordoba. Beamers/Mercedes: nah.

Trees
I think if I ever decide to old skool for my personal daily driver, it just may be a gigantic Chrysler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
I saw one at the local junkyard. The interior was in pristine condition. I wanted to rip out the seats and make me a new couch.

Thanks for sharing all this guys! Although I will probably never get to drive most of these cars, it is still nice to know what they were like.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red willys
I had a 03 tahoe that i wish i never traded off. rode like a luxury car and sooper safe!
I traded it in with my wifes 03 Ultima for a 08 Pathfinder, the tahoe was getting high miles and when i got the Willys i had to drop one car.
The tahoe was a 350 vortec, it towed a 24 ft. covered trailer to southern california to p.u. my Willys and back without a single grunt!
The only reason i didnt trade for another tahoe is i figured i would get a better trade on another Nissan because the Ultima had the most value.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

My Mom's 1971 Chrysler New Yorker 4dr, I could stretch out in the back and my feet and head would just touch the arm rests. The front power seats folded down completely flat making a huge bed from front to rear, the rear heat would blow under the seat when it was folded and heat the seat! The ashtray was like a drawer and could hold a couple of pounds of ash with dual lighters even. The center armrest must have been 24" square, sure seemed like it anyway.

When all four power windows where rolled down it felt like a convertible as there was no pillar in between. The AC was perfect and hardly made any noise on high, it kept the temp right where the dial temp control was set without any fussing about or freezing your feet...better than any modern car I've driven or owned since.

Pretty sweet, definetly not the best handling car but it handled its weight well enough to power slide and could tow 3500 pds without sagging out. The 440 four barrel had plenty of power but my friends Dad's 1970 Chrysler New Yorker 2dr 300 model had the more powerful 440 engine and could smoke it easily, the earlier models were preferable just for the 350Hp version of the 440 (the 1971 440 4bbl was 335HP but seemed like a lot less in comparison).

Should have kept that car, you could stuff eight teenagers in it easily which we did quite often before seatbelt laws came in. If you can believe it we towed it to the junkyard after the transmission went with a 1974 Honda Civic 4spd, that must have been quite the sight...talk about the tail wagging the dog!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 AM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

1976 Merc. Montego MX Brougham, i have a 61k mile original. This thing is a dream to drive, comfortable, sway bars both ends, coil springs all four corners. Play football on the hood, i won't be the first one to the wreck. Poor man's lincoln but I love that thing..........gotta get it back road worthy been sitting since '82 when the old guy that had it couldn't drive anymore.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:11 AM

most comfort

1969 Buick Riviera GS with the white leather. BP
Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red willys
I traded it in with my wifes 03 Ultima for a 08 Pathfinder, the tahoe was getting high miles and when i got the Willys i had to drop one car.
The tahoe was a 350 vortec, it towed a 24 ft. covered trailer to southern california to p.u. my Willys and back without a single grunt!
The only reason i didnt trade for another tahoe is i figured i would get a better trade on another Nissan because the Ultima had the most value.
Yeah, I would imagine the Altima would be worth more, especially with the gas prices. You've sold me on the Tahoe though. I like my '77 K20 but some comfort would be nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
My Mom's 1971 Chrysler New Yorker 4dr, I could stretch out in the back and my feet and head would just touch the arm rests. The front power seats folded down completely flat making a huge bed from front to rear, the rear heat would blow under the seat when it was folded and heat the seat! The ashtray was like a drawer and could hold a couple of pounds of ash with dual lighters even. The center armrest must have been 24" square, sure seemed like it anyway.

When all four power windows where rolled down it felt like a convertible as there was no pillar in between. The AC was perfect and hardly made any noise on high, it kept the temp right where the dial temp control was set without any fussing about or freezing your feet...better than any modern car I've driven or owned since.

Pretty sweet, definetly not the best handling car but it handled its weight well enough to power slide and could tow 3500 pds without sagging out. The 440 four barrel had plenty of power but my friends Dad's 1970 Chrysler New Yorker 2dr 300 model had the more powerful 440 engine and could smoke it easily, the earlier models were preferable just for the 350Hp version of the 440 (the 1971 440 4bbl was 335HP but seemed like a lot less in comparison).

Should have kept that car, you could stuff eight teenagers in it easily which we did quite often before seatbelt laws came in. If you can believe it we towed it to the junkyard after the transmission went with a 1974 Honda Civic 4spd, that must have been quite the sight...talk about the tail wagging the dog!
Good lord, 8 people, plus driver? But this was before we all got fat on fast food right? I love the lines of the New Yorker. And that 440 has a legendary rep. If only Chrysler made cars like that now. Name aside, what do you think of the Charger/300 sedan? Mercedes platform with a Hemi sounds like a winning combo to me. My friend's got the the V6 300 and it rides real nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Junkie
1976 Merc. Montego MX Brougham, i have a 61k mile original. This thing is a dream to drive, comfortable, sway bars both ends, coil springs all four corners. Play football on the hood, i won't be the first one to the wreck. Poor man's lincoln but I love that thing..........gotta get it back road worthy been sitting since '82 when the old guy that had it couldn't drive anymore.
I don't think Ive seen these before. Would they be the LTD's more luxurious sibling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
1969 Buick Riviera GS with the white leather. BP
White interiors make me nervous lol!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I'll give you some input on the current Chrysler/Charger/300.

They do ride nice, however, visibility really sucks in these cars.
One of the guys I travel with likes to rent them.
Drives me and one other guy nuts.
Hard to see out of----sit way too low for the door sills----hard to get in and out of.
Tilt column is a joke----may as well not even have it.
And they seem to be a bit thirsty---even the 6 cylinder.

I have always preferred the Buicks for a good combo for handling, ride and the ability to get in and out of. They also seem to be able to get farther on a tank of fuel than the other comfy cars (I will NOT leave a rental garage in a foreign
badged vehicle)

Sheer ride-----Town Car, Merc/Ford Marquis/Vic

But ultimately, my personal car of choice when traveling on my own will be an Impala. Not too much car, rides nice, probably won't have to fill the tank while I have it, and don't mind getting into it with dirty clothes. Visibility is good, and it is a pretty comfortable ride.

I thought you mentioned a car for your folks, so that is what I based an opinion on.

I also pretty much believe no one has built a real car since the 79 Lincoln

Tags
comfortable cars, driveability, history, interior, nostalgia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.