What is the Most Comfortable Car You've Ever Owned (or Driven)? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
I'll give you some input on the current Chrysler/Charger/300.

They do ride nice, however, visibility really sucks in these cars.
One of the guys I travel with likes to rent them.
Drives me and one other guy nuts.
Hard to see out of----sit way too low for the door sills----hard to get in and out of.
Tilt column is a joke----may as well not even have it.
And they seem to be a bit thirsty---even the 6 cylinder.
Wow, wasn't aware of the visibility issues (seems like the new Camaro gets the most heat for it). My friend's V6 powered 300 gets 23 mpg in LA stop-n-go traffic, which I feel is rather decent for such a heavy, under-powered combo. I will definitely ask him about the visibility.

Quote:
I have always preferred the Buicks for a good combo for handling, ride and the ability to get in and out of. They also seem to be able to get farther on a tank of fuel than the other comfy cars (I will NOT leave a rental garage in a foreign
badged vehicle)
I think GM cars in general are rather fuel efficient, especially when driven properly. And for everyday driving, value and comfort, Buick seems to be the best deal.

Quote:
Sheer ride-----Town Car, Merc/Ford Marquis/Vic
Im surprised I haven't heard from any B Body owners. But I will personally say that, despite the shot suspension, my '95 Impala SS is fairly comfortable. I have become more and more interested in the Crown Vics in the past few months. They have definitely proven their reliability in the field and they do drive rather nice. We've got some at work and I took my driver clearance test in one. Very nice cruiser, especially with leather.

Quote:
But ultimately, my personal car of choice when traveling on my own will be an Impala. Not too much car, rides nice, probably won't have to fill the tank while I have it, and don't mind getting into it with dirty clothes. Visibility is good, and it is a pretty comfortable ride.
I spoke too soon. Which year Impala?

Quote:
I thought you mentioned a car for your folks, so that is what I based an opinion on.
Well, I am window shopping at the moment until the lease runs out on their current ride. But I really enjoy hearing about all these other cars and older models that I've never driven. So thanks for sharing on both!

If it helps, I love reading old car magazines, not just for specs, but to see how people of the time felt about what was available. It is so interesting to read how perceptions change over time. For example, in the eighties (I believe '84), one of the magazines did a test and decided that the Camaro Z28 was the best handling car. Fast forward to today, and third gens get tra****alked left and right. Figured I would try asking from the comfort point of view, all in the name of research of course.

Quote:
I also pretty much believe no one has built a real car since the 79 Lincoln
That is a sweet lookin' ride.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Most will find this hard to believe but for me it was a 1990 Buick Regal Limited 2 Dr. It was so comfortable that when the torque converter died and I junked it I kept the 6 way power/reclining 60/40 split bench to use in something else one of these days. Turns out it's a perfect fit for a Studebaker. No it's not going in my '55 but I do have my eye on a '63 Lark that just happens to need a new front seat.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Most will find this hard to believe but for me it was a 1990 Buick Regal Limited 2 Dr. It was so comfortable that when the torque converter died and I junked it I kept the 6 way power/reclining 60/40 split bench to use in something else one of these days. Turns out it's a perfect fit for a Studebaker. No it's not going in my '55 but I do have my eye on a '63 Lark that just happens to need a new front seat.
Nice! Sounds like an excellent cheap commuter ride!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Nice! Sounds like an excellent cheap commuter ride!
Exactly what I had in mind for it. Also needs a drivetrain so I was thinking a late 80's roller cam 305 with a Weiand 3000 (think SP2P) and 390 Holley, 200-4R and 3.55 or so gears. In reality I already have the drivetrain and just need something to put it in but that belongs in another post.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 AM
"But how do it know?"

Just for kicks, I'll mention my most uncomfortable rides (the '95 Camry takes top spot for most comfortable for me - so far)...

First up is a 1996 Mazda Protege. Dad bought it brand new with zero options. 1.5 liter engine, 5 speed manual, cloth interior, roll down windows, no stereo (the speakers were there), no air conditioning. He eventually gave me the car to sell it. After dropping in a set of Autolite double platinums and a K&N air filter, the car got awesome gas mileage, sometimes as high as 50 when cruising, especially on very humid days. But the seats were a real back breaker. I'd come home every night after work needing to see a chiropractor.

Second on the list would be the '77 Chevy truck I've got now. Its suspensions is sooo stiff, I hate to take it on the freeways because it bounces so damn much. But boy is it fun to drive!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:

Second on the list would be the '77 Chevy truck I've got now. Its suspensions is sooo stiff, I hate to take it on the freeways because it bounces so damn much. But boy is it fun to drive!
Would that be a long or short bed? I smoothed out my 76 3/4 ton chevy long bed with taller tires and the cheapest low budget shocks I could get. The first thing I found after buying M/T tires is no more hydroplaning! The A/T tires when they hit standing water would send me all over the place.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 AM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Would that be a long or short bed? I smoothed out my 76 3/4 ton chevy long bed with taller tires and the cheapest low budget shocks I could get. The first thing I found after buying M/T tires is no more hydroplaning! The A/T tires when they hit standing water would send me all over the place.
I got the long bed. Gotta make it look like I do manual labor, even if Im not doing it The previous owner put on some M/T along with a body lift, air bag suspension, two sets of fog lights, and a CB radio with a PA and two gigantic antennas. I figure I finally have an excuse to try my first shot at off-roading. I'd hate to hydroplane in that thing!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Good lord, 8 people, plus driver? But this was before we all got fat on fast food right? I love the lines of the New Yorker. And that 440 has a legendary rep. If only Chrysler made cars like that now. Name aside, what do you think of the Charger/300 sedan? Mercedes platform with a Hemi sounds like a winning combo to me. My friend's got the the V6 300 and it rides real nice.
I did this in high school with my '68 Cadiillac Sedan DeVille. It had the mass to just float over every bump in the road, and you couldn't even feel the speed bumps in my high school parking lot. This was in '89-90, so the leather wasn't as soft as it was when it was new of course.

The most comfotable seat I ever sat in was my dad's 1946 Lincoln Continental.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:56 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipangle
I did this in high school with my '68 Cadiillac Sedan DeVille. It had the mass to just float over every bump in the road, and you couldn't even feel the speed bumps in my high school parking lot. This was in '89-90, so the leather wasn't as soft as it was when it was new of course.
Hence the label "boats" lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipangle
The most comfotable seat I ever sat in was my dad's 1946 Lincoln Continental.
I had to look it up. Beautiful car! I hope Ford one day builds up Lincolns to be more competitive. Aside from the limos, it seems nobody even notices them.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

I really loved my 1970 Cadillac El Dorado it floated like a cloud and WOW! talk about brute power and torque it was a sweet ride.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

1967 Pontiac Catalina. Rode great, handled great, and went like a bat otta hell if you punched it.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

suburban w/ leather seats is the only vehicle i've ever enjoyed driving long distance. pretty nice around town too. probably wouldn't notice collision w/ prius or other small bug.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:17 AM

My 1981 lincoln Continental Mkvi is the most comfortable car Ive ever owned. Young kids in the nieghborhood never seen anything like it,and they tell me cool car,sic car etc. It has a 305 motor,about 150hp,so its not fast. It will go fast if theres no traffic. It will go faster and faster probably more then 100mph,but it takes a lot of distance to whoa it down. It floats like a cloud,with the big moonroof top open,its like a convertible. It has a computer and digital dash that can tell you mpg mpl of gas,miles till empty etc. had all that back in 81 not even Rolls Royce had all that back then. Riding in that car is like therapy it so plush.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:34 AM

Last photo:

1967 buick electra 225 wildcat 430ci big block is a pretty sweet ride.
floats like a cloud; pulls like a jet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8LXBFS-5O8

Last edited by 001mustang; 03-30-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy48
1967 Pontiac Catalina. Rode great, handled great, and went like a bat otta hell if you punched it.

Had one of these long ago.-- 2dr coupe --Champagne
I lived in Phoenix then and this car overheated on me one too many times.
Made me late for work one day, so I called a wrecker to drag it to a crusher.
Watched it die a slow agonizing death (I was in a bad mood that day).

My wife was pretty aggravated about me doing that----she really liked the car (to be fair--I did too).

Only car I've ever had that did not make 100,000 miles---made it to 97.

Replaced it with a beautiful 73 Cutlass Supreme---seemd to calm her down a bit

Tags
comfortable cars, driveability, history, interior, nostalgia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.