What is the Most Comfortable Car You've Ever Owned (or Driven)? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

What is the Most Comfortable Car You've Ever Owned (or Driven)?

Hi All,

Wanted to draw on everyone's memories and auto backgrounds to see which cars people find (or found) to provide the most comfortable ride ever. Although this is pretty much "lounge talk", I am especially curious to hear from the more senior folks, as my grandparents are getting older and their comfort is of a high concern for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

most comfortable car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Hi All,

Wanted to draw on everyone's memories and auto backgrounds to see which cars people find (or found) to provide the most comfortable ride ever. Although this is pretty much "lounge talk", I am especially curious to hear from the more senior folks, as my grandparents are getting older and their comfort is of a high concern for me.
Lincoln Town car, they were a big highway cruiser for sure.

Bob
Old 03-27-2011, 02:39 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Ever wonder why the old blue hairs drive around in Cadillac's?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

My 70 SS Chevelle was pretty comfortable until I started screwing around with it back in the 70s....air shocks, trac bars etc.........

My wifes 2005 Chevy Uplander is pretty nice with the air ride and leather interior and all.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

The BMW 845 L was probably the most comfy as the seats had lots of adjustments: lumbar,bolster, tilt ,recline heat and cooling.
If that is too pricey for ya (it is for me but I like them and have driven many)
then a lincoln or caddy would be the next choice down.
Mercedes have allways felt like a conestoga wagon to me for some reason.
A lot of the old folks in florida like the BUICKS as they have the comfort of the cadillac at a lesser price. Buick has the dual zone climate control wich if you are married is nice as you know the female half is allways cold and the male is allways hot.I think they offer heated and cooled seats as an option also. The BMW defenitly has heated and cooled seats. Not too necessary but nice , especially the cool part as your keester gets kinda sweaty in the summer, especially in the long drive to the beach.Have fun shopping.
Also a lot of folks like the crossover type vehicle as they are easy in easy out, especially if you have arthritis and abad knees , joint pain etc.The BMW is not as easy to get in and out of as say the chevy trailblazer is for someone who is leaning toward handicapped.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:16 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
Buick has the dual zone climate control wich if you are married is nice as you know the female half is allways cold and the male is allways hot..
Ha Ha Ha! LMFAO being we're talking about seniors here, you obviously forgot about menopause in which all that is reversed. My wife rolls the window down at 30* and hangs her head out the widow like a puppy!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 AM
boatbob2

neat car.....

Rolls Royce,great ride !!!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Ha Ha Ha! LMFAO being we're talking about seniors here, you obviously forgot about menopause in which all that is reversed. My wife rolls the window down at 30* and hangs her head out the widow like a puppy!
Good thing the controls go hot or cold.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 AM

best ride

I had a 03 tahoe that i wish i never traded off. rode like a luxury car and sooper safe!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Hey All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Lincoln Town car, they were a big highway cruiser for sure.

Bob
Yes Bob, I've definitely heared that one mentioned several times, (ironically by GM guys ) Never rode in one but Im definitely intrigued.

Quote:
Ever wonder why the old blue hairs drive around in Cadillac's?
Lol! I have definitely considered the older Cadillcas, but more for their tank-like build than comfort (I swear LA traffic is a war zone that just gets worse every day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
My 70 SS Chevelle was pretty comfortable until I started screwing around with it back in the 70s....air shocks, trac bars etc.........

My wifes 2005 Chevy Uplander is pretty nice with the air ride and leather interior and all.
I'm glad you mentioned the Chevelle, because there is a car that I'll probably never get to drive, at least not in factory stock form. And I gotta say, despite the "uncool" stigma, these minivans are becoming rather luxurious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
The BMW 845 L was probably the most comfy as the seats had lots of adjustments: lumbar,bolster, tilt ,recline heat and cooling.
If that is too pricey for ya (it is for me but I like them and have driven many)
then a lincoln or caddy would be the next choice down.
Mercedes have allways felt like a conestoga wagon to me for some reason.
A lot of the old folks in florida like the BUICKS as they have the comfort of the cadillac at a lesser price. Buick has the dual zone climate control wich if you are married is nice as you know the female half is allways cold and the male is allways hot.I think they offer heated and cooled seats as an option also. The BMW defenitly has heated and cooled seats. Not too necessary but nice , especially the cool part as your keester gets kinda sweaty in the summer, especially in the long drive to the beach.Have fun shopping.
Also a lot of folks like the crossover type vehicle as they are easy in easy out, especially if you have arthritis and abad knees , joint pain etc.The BMW is not as easy to get in and out of as say the chevy trailblazer is for someone who is leaning toward handicapped.
Yeah, European luxury is definitely not in the price range during the present time (not that I am actually shopping around). Buicks have been looking pretty good as of late, and I agree they are caddy-comfy without the extra expense of the brand's name. The only downside is, Grandpa hates big cars and feels he has better control in something smaller. However, he does prefer to be driven around so perhaps alarge comfy sedan will still be a good choice.

Quote:
Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
Rolls Royce,great ride !!!!!
Oh man, the closest to finding that out for me is reading about 'em in car magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red willys
I had a 03 tahoe that i wish i never traded off. rode like a luxury car and sooper safe!
I've been wanting to get one of those for myself. It just seems like the perfect blend of space for a long trip, towing power and the availability of performance upgrades. What did you trade it in for?

By the way, I apologize for making it seem like I only want to hear about cars that seniors like. To hear about cars that are no longer made or even the current line up of generic commuter material is fair game. Or conversely, it might be equally interesting (and beneficial) to hear about the most uncomfortable car you ever rode in - stock suspension, of course.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

OK stock? 59 Imperial rode like a dream but took two parking spaces to parallel park! I also had a couple of Pontiac's that rode good, a 69 GP and a 73 Catalina. Hard to go wrong with the older big Pontac's. Might as well toss in my dads 70 Chrysler 300 with the 440 too.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Probably a toss up between these three - '74 Ford LTD Brougham, the '97 T-Bird or the '79 F350 4x2 Supercab/long bed.

Softness - the LTD
Handling - the F350
All around - the Bird
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

My choices are going to come off as strange.
The best around town, good mileage, good handling, ok ride and power car I ever drove was a friend of mine`s 86 Camaro. It had a 2.8 with multi port injection and a auto trans. It was a easy to drive car and it was comfortable.
It was the most effortless car to drive ever, I could steer it with my pinky, the brakes were really sensitive, it idled smooth as silk. The carbed 2.8`s before it were complete slugs, but the multi port injection it had was wonderful, it had good power and throttle response.

Second car would be my former car 1986 Olds cutlass supreme 2 door. It was the best riding car I`ve ever ridden in to this day. I lowered it 2 inches front and rear and it had a 350 chevy and a 350 tranny with a 3.23 posi rear. After I lowered it, I installed Cragar super star wheels and wide BFG radials. I also added KYB shocks. Afterwards, it still rode just as good as it always did, but it would hang a curve like a corvette, talk about the best of both worlds, I thought I could pull it off which was why I built it for performance and luxury, and the two usually don`t go together. I still have it but it`s been parked for years. It spent time up north for several years with it`s former owner and it had body and floor cancer pretty bad from the salt. now it`s pretty much a parts car as a friend of mine also has one like it. I hope to get another one in the future.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

The most comfortable car I've ever been in was my first car, which was a 1984 caprice. Thing was tough as a tank too.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM

75 Olds Toronado. No tranny hump. Yet, a tighter suspension tha the big 98s, or Bonnevilles.

Tags
comfortable cars, driveability, history, interior, nostalgia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.