Hot Rod Forum banner

What is the most useful tool in your shop?

6K views 54 replies 28 participants last post by  Custom10 
#1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals think about it a minute and ask yourself, "Whats the most useful tool ( or favorite) tool in my shop?"

Mine is the single post hoist I installed while I was building my home shop. I've used it for everything from a saw horse, welding table, structure to hang parts while being painted, work table, lawn mower repair hoist, anvil, metal brake to
a ceiling to hang air reels from while I'm repairing them.

It also works pretty good for picking up my cars and trucks.
What couldn't you do without?

BB :thumbup:

#8 · (Edited)
Couldn't imagine narrowing it down to one but I would say without the MIG I would be in big trouble. I can get a lot done with the torch, did a lot of work before the MIG but it's damn limited compared to that wire feed.

Brian

#17 ·
Isn't that the truth!

It's like the MIG, I don't know how much you did before you had a compressor but I did a lot of body work without one. Chopped the top on my truck, all with a hack saw and an electric Black and decker jig saw to go across the roof! LOL All the bondo work by hand! LOL we are spoiled now.

Brian

#24 ·
I'd say my wireless headphones...
It's allows me to to work on my junk at odd hours.. down side is use'n hand tools, instead of the air tools.. wish I knew of a way to quite it.. other than an insulated room.. it's in a stand alone shed now.. when I bump the garage wall out..so I'll have a small shop area and place to store the torch/mig/tool box/parts washer/etc.. the compresser will be in that area and I'll insulate it good.. and add a thermo controlled fan..
as a new 2 car garage is out of the question.. been veto'd by the better half....lol

#27 ·
best tool

Hey GEARHEADSLIFE...tell her its a new sewing room for her. Tell her you'll sleep out there...whatever it takes! Who am I kinding, my better half has vetoed my garage expansion and I fear that building it anyway may have terrible consequences! No dinner, no clean clothes, no --- ! Guess I'll suffer along with you in limited space and a warm happy home. LOL!

#33 ·
Hey GEARHEADSLIFE...tell her its a new sewing room for her. Tell her you'll sleep out there...whatever it takes! Who am I kinding, my better half has vetoed my garage expansion and I fear that building it anyway may have terrible consequences! No dinner, no clean clothes, no --- ! Guess I'll suffer along with you in limited space and a warm happy home. LOL!
haha we are making the basement 3 rooms sewing/workshop/game/
she already marked out the sewing room area.. the longer I take to get going on it. the bigger it "seams" to get.. lol

#30 ·
Alldata. Use it multiple times a day and could not live without it. #2 is probably the compressor. Mine is broken right now, waiting on the compressor repair guy with parts. you dont realize how much you need air until you dont have it. We actually bought a small one today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.