Hot Rod Forum banner

What is my engine worth?

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  onebadmerc 
#1 ·
Just became a member today and I guess I posted my question in the wrong forum. SORRY :( Anyway I have a 1974 Motorhome I just bought. It sits on a 1972 Dodge chassis and drive line. I was told the engine is a Max Wedge (413). Then a friend of mine who is somewhat of a motor head said it was worth a lot of money although he didn't know how much. The odometer shows just over 56000 miles, it drives like a dream. A little cold blooded but once warm it runs almost like brand new. Could someone let me know if this is indeed a gold mine or just fools gold? Or direct me to where I can find out. Thank You

#2 ·
I really doubt that it is a Max Wedge 413 in a motorhome. The heads and cam for start will be way different. It may be classed as medium duty specs, they are rated at 265hp. FWIW, used, these engines are worth about $3,500 CAD. I know this for sure, as I have one laying on my shop floor.

#5 ·
I will be honest the only way I can tell what size a motor is for sure is by the engine tag. This one has a tag on the valve cover with different sizes on it ranging from 318 to 413 including the 440 and a six cylinder I believe. The spot that is punched on there is 413. I do know it is possible that someone along the line changed the cover. The gal I bought it from said her late husband bought it because it had a Max Wedge and he was a major motor head.

#7 · (Edited)
Usually the cubic inches is stamped on the milled pad (about 1 1/4 by 3 inches) at the left front of the engine at the intake manifold or block-head deck.

Tall deck blocks (RB) have the pad on the manifold surface, low deck (B) blocks have the pad on the head deck surface.

It should say either 440 or 413 in digits about 1/4 inch high. I understand that high performance engines included the letters HP.

413s might be rare but parts are hard to get and they have no advantage over a 440.

Max-Wedge had dual 4 barrel carbs, radical cast exhaust manifolds, and special everythings.

#8 · (Edited)
i just happen to have one that i bought from an old guy who replaced the 413 in his motor home with a 440, but when i got it home and apart i found out that it is an industrial motor which is the same as any other only it was specially made for the service it is providing.anyway you'll love this,its actually a 426,bored to a 413 and some of the parts since they are truck parts are max wedge and i challenge you to tell me my books are wrong.you can get a HOW TO REBUILD BIG-BLOCK MOPAR ENGINES,book by HP BOOKS,that has most of the numbers that you want to look at.now some of these blocks are actually 413's but the one i have block# 2658836.its cast into the side of the block.is it a "superior motor home"?i've got a ton of info on this motor.got some from dick landy and bob mazzolinni racing,he sells themotor home blocks.let me know if i can help you.oh i paid 350.00 for mine when i thought it was a 413.of cource they do share the same block but it should be able to be bored to a 426.you may get some info by emailing this place.

http://www.durable-dodge.org/index.htm

#9 ·
Max Wedge engines did NOT come in any motor homes. You may indeed have a 413 but it is definitely NOT a max wedge engine. However it is a Wedge engine as are all the B and RB Dodge/Chrysler and Plymouth engines (361, 383, 400, 413, 426 wedge, and 440). The Max Wedge engines had different heads with large ports, a radical solid lifter cam, and a cross ram dual quad intake manifold with specially cast exhaust headers. The last Max Wedge 413 engine was manufactured in 1963 although they continued production for one more year but as an enlarged 426 wedge. The Max Wedge engines were only available as special order in the "B" body cars (Polara, Satellite, Belvedere, and early (pre-64 Dart) and were pretty much replaced by the 426 hemi in '65.

#10 · (Edited)
did you bother to read.i didn't say it was a max wedge engine,i said it had some wedge,truck or h.d. parts.back then perf. parts came from truck parts because they were h.d. enough to stand up to torture.in 1962 the 413 is called "max perf. & truck because there was no wedge at the time.63-65 its wedge & max. perf. for the 426.boy theres always someone just waiting to steel your thunder and cut you off at the knee's.

#11 ·
The only way to be certain is to cross reference the casting numbers. Since your motor home was made quite awhile ago, the motor could have been replaced with anything over the years. I have seen a HP 454 Chevy engine in station wagon, a Ford 428CJ in a 68 F250 truck and a Dodge HP 383 in a 78 Ramcharger and these were all in a junkyard. I have even seen a Buick Nailhead in a mid 60's Chevy Truck. All I can say is check your casting numbers and see, you never know....... somebody might have put a Max Wedge in your motor home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.