Hot Rod Forum banner

What is the name of this type of tensioner?

899 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  jhilb 
#1 ·
Looking for a different type of tensioner this time.

I am looking for a tensioner that 'pushes' against the belt to tension it.

Not a typical tensioner that twists a pulley into position, but rahter a tensioner that is spring loaded that pushes against the belt to take the slack out.

I hope someone out there knows what I mean. I am looking for a source for them but don't know the name of what I am looking for. I think I remember seeing them used on supercharger setups to remove slack in the supercharger belt (although my applicatin is for a 6 rib serp belt).

Jeff

#4 ·
those can be a real headache! i have a 460 powered e-350 i tow with and the serpentine belt kept "walking" so i checked the tensioner and it seemed fine even decided to change the bearing in it. no change still kept walking changed it out and that fixed it. when the tension of the internal spring goes they are junk. that is on my "don't buy used list". wasn't easy to pay $75 for one when they are $6 at pull-a-part!

#5 ·
So you guys know what I mean then right? What do they call that type of pulley?

I made a bracket to hold my 'primary' tensioner. My primary is not spring loaded, or movable, it's hand tightened into place, no adjustments or movement after that.

But it's in a supercharged application so I think the belt is still going to stretch under load. So I want to add a secondary tensioner.

I've been looking on ebay and cannot find the darn thing. What would I search for?

Thanks,
Jeff

#9 ·
I am not sure, but it's looking like I will not have room to spare. This would be a better solution for me.

Here is a crude drawing of the 'spring' loaded tensioner I am talking about. I think that is what it must be called but I cannot seem to find them anywhere. I though I remembered seeing them used as tensioners on some 6-71 setups.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.