What new compressor/welder to buy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 05:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What new compressor/welder to buy

I have been looking for a compressor and welder that would get the job done in rebuilding of my 30 sedan..

It will need a homebuilt chassis ....and it seems everyone just about uses 2x4x3/16 tubing for that pupose.

I can run 220 out to the garage so that is not a poblem.

BUt....I was at a farm suppy store outlet today and a lincoln 140 mig was listed at 1100.-- and the Eagle Compressors cable of running an angle grinder (the grinder there suggested 6.2 CFM) .... was a 1000 dollars and rated at 12.5 CFM.

I have a real hard time spending that kind of money ...

Surely there has to be less expensive units that will weld 3/16 and operate a drinder...

Any help??

Robert Bullard
Toronto

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Have you considered an electric grinder? DeWalt maybe? Harbor Freight has some low priced MIG welders such as the "Duel MIG 151" which would be about the minimum you could get by with. These things are bare bones and have few features but they do work pretty good for what they cost and they seem be reliable enough. They in no way compare to the quality of a name brand machine but they can get the job done for you. If you are planing to run air tools and paint you will need 12.5 CFM at least and that is cutting it close so I would not recommend any less.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6271

What became of that big air compressor?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Do you have anything like a Lowes or Home depot in the area..?? Here thay have the Lincolns for fairly reasonable..

Compressors in Canada not sure of but perhaps some of the Canadian guys can chime in..

You might wish to try welders-direct.com and see if they ship there as well..

Sam
Old 09-05-2006, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Have you considered an electric grinder? DeWalt maybe? Harbor Freight has some low priced MIG welders such as the "Duel MIG 151" which would be about the minimum you could get by with. These things are bare bones and have few features but they do work pretty good for what they cost and they seem be reliable enough. They in no way compare to the quality of a name brand machine but they can get the job done for you. If you are planing to run air tools and paint you will need 12.5 CFM at least and that is cutting it close so I would not recommend any less.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6271

What became of that big air compressor?

The compressor is at the shop will get my associate to take a pci of it a post it...its 600 volt ...and im getting all kinds of different advice...it started life as a 220 ...i just figured i could go buy a 220 motor of the same rpm and that would be that...if i could get it working that is over 18 CFM ...but my associate who is retired electro mechanical engineer ...is recommending i sell it......

thanks i ll check out the harbout freight site

THX
Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Do you have anything like a Lowes or Home depot in the area..?? Here thay have the Lincolns for fairly reasonable..

Compressors in Canada not sure of but perhaps some of the Canadian guys can chime in..

You might wish to try welders-direct.com and see if they ship there as well..

Sam

I was at the local Home Depot here in Cambridge and its a joke ...just the little home workshop 2.5 CFM and not welders..

Sure not like it is in the U.S.

Already messed up buying that big 575 volt unit ...dont want to get deeper into a project that is poorly thought out...

THX

Robert Bullard.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBnuts
The compressor is at the shop will get my associate to take a pci of it a post it...its 600 volt ...and im getting all kinds of different advice...it started life as a 220 ...i just figured i could go buy a 220 motor of the same rpm and that would be that...if i could get it working that is over 18 CFM ...but my associate who is retired electro mechanical engineer ...is recommending i sell it......

thanks i ll check out the harbout freight site

THX

That Harbour Freight unit looks good ...heck even the 170 is a great deal compared to what I saw today..by the time I pay the frieght and exchange at 11 percent it's still half price... great stuff ...will call them tomorrow and see about shipping to Canada... appreciate it

Robert
Old 09-05-2006, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

18 CFM? You should be able to get by with a 5 HP (24-28 AMPS) motor on a pump that size, that thing may be what we first thought. Just because it was 600 volts does not mean it was mega HP, what are the specs on that motor? AMPS@ 600 volts? HP and RPM? Even if it is 7 HP or so you could use a true 5 HP motor and change the drive ratio to drop the pump RPM slightly and lose very little CFM. I would not be at all surprised if it is only 5 HP since it is only 18 CFM. A 5 HP 220 motor is not going to break the bank, would be easy to install and you would have a really nice set-up
Old 09-05-2006, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Something I didn't think of when I mentioned the HF welder and that is service and consumables such as tips, liners and nozzles considering where you are. Be sure and ask them about the availability of these parts to where you live because you may not be able to find much locally and parts such as these are required on an on going basis even with the name brand machines.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
18 CFM? You should be able to get by with a 5 HP (24-28 AMPS) motor on a pump that size, that thing may be what we first thought. Just because it was 600 volts does not mean it was mega HP, what are the specs on that motor? AMPS@ 600 volts? HP and RPM? Even if it is 7 HP or so you could use a true 5 HP motor and change the drive ratio to drop the pump RPM slightly and lose very little CFM. I would not be at all surprised if it is only 5 HP since it is only 18 CFM. A 5 HP 220 motor is not going to break the bank, would be easy to install and you would have a really nice set-up
You know that is just great advice and your bang on...if I go to the lab tomorrow I ll get someone to take some close ups and see what u think...
but if i can get way with that ....well lets just say Christmass came early

rb
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Hey Mustbenuts; For your mig welder go to the local Air Liquid dealer. They have some great prices on migs there. The 172 is a great little mig. Around 800.00 . For a compressor I would go to your local TSC store. Great prices and good quality. Thats way too much money for that Lincoln. Just cause you guys pay twice as much for your houses in TO doesnt mean you should get bent over on every thing else. Cheers!!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If you are not in a hurry Canadian Tire will have a wire feed Lincoln 220 V that can be upgraded to gas. They go on sale every two months or so. Was the farm supply Peavy Mart? That Eagle goes on sale for about $750 or $800 often and they often have Hobart 220V welders on sale as well. Also check out Princess Auto and Costco for both welders and compressors. You will save at least 25% if you watch the sales. All those company's have electric grinders as well. Canadian Tire has there Mastercraft 11 amp grinder on this week for $69.95. I might just pick one up. Might have lots of rusty bolts to cut on the Nash.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46chevyfleetline
Just cause you guys pay twice as much for your houses in TO doesnt mean you should get bent over on every thing else. Cheers!!
Now, Now... Be nice... My wife chooses to live in a nice neighbourhood and that's the price I have pay.

Back to compressors.
How much are you looking at spending? I bought the 60Gal Husky from HomeDepot cost me $700 CAD. If I had a bit more cash I would have gone to Sears and got the IR SS5L5 @just around 1G.

As 46chevyfleetline mentioned, check your local gas supplier (Liquid Air, BOC) and see what they have to offer.

If you go the electric grinder route, Check out Princess Auto. I picked up a 7" for around $50 and their no hassle return policy lasts a lifetime.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 AM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Sorry '58. Didn't mean it that way. The price of houses up there are double what we pay down here for the same thing. How is the '58 coming. That's one of my favorite cars. Cheers!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

No harm there 46chevyfleetline. When you say down here?? Where's that? I'm in central Etobicoke, on the outer edge of The Kingsway.

My 58 , I'm in the process of trying to remove the front clip, engine. So I can lift the body up and work on the chassis. Spraying the bolts on a daily basis and wrenching on weekends. When the warden allows time. I'm hoping by October to have the body up on a wood structure so I can pull the chassis in and out.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

good suggestions..

I ll keet my eyes open ...that 7 inch grinder looks good at that price will take a peek tomorrow..

thanks all...

Robert Bullard

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.