Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What Not To Do When Doing Body Work Or Painting A Car
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What Not To Do When Doing Body Work Or Painting A Car

I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while. As questions come up on how to do things, they often remind me of situations where someone either didn't ask because they were afraid, didn't ask because they didn't care or just felt that what the "H"...I know it's wrong but, I'll do it anyway. So I guess I can start off with a few story of "Don't's.

In the latter part of the 80's, I walked into a shop in central Alberta...the shop did have a reputation for, well, getting it done quickly at a reasonable price and his guarantee was that it would be a 40 footer. As I walked in, the owner of the shop told me that he was in a hurry and could I please help him out by filling up his 1 gallon Jerry can with premium gas. I couldn't imagine why a can of gas would be that important but I drove to the gas station, filled up the can and went back to the shop. When I got there, I couldn't even get the keys out of the ignition before one of the employees (a 14 year old student on a training program) that had been posted outside the shop to watch for me grabbed the and muttered, I hope it's not to late.

Okay, I'm curious...I go into the shop and here is the owner, cutting a quart of Dupont Centari with gas instead of reducer. I started to ask why and he cut me off and said "I don't have time now because when this stuff kicks, it kicks hard"...I watched. The paint laid out like glass, immediately, and shine, I have never seen paint shine like that before. The owner came out and explained. The car belonged to a used car lot...it was Wednesday, they had the car advertised on Thursday and it had to be sold by Friday...because come Sunday, Monday that shine was going to start to haze off something fierce.

Now I don't know if the car sold, but, it did look good, so I tried a test panel with some old Black CIL Acrylic Enamel I had laying around and shot it with gasoline instead of reducer. It lasted about a week...and then it started to look like real dark gray primer...after a month in the sun...I would have sworn it was dirty White....LOL...All this for a little more shine to sell something a little quicker to have deteriorate so much faster...I don't get it.

I'm sure many of you have story's, either of the horror variety, humorous or just plain stupid. I'd love to hear them and I'm sure others would as well.

I have more.

Ray