Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What Not To Do When Doing Body Work Or Painting A Car
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This reminds me of a guy I know that had a 55 chevy painted some years ago. This was a pretty decent car and was baby blue and white, that was going the same color. Well the guy he had that was going to do the car said he would redo the whole thing for $3500. Now I knew there was something wrong here when I heard this price. Needless to say this job went on for a couple of years, every time he called or went to check out the progress this guy was never around. Then he was working on it at different shops. Some people would approuch the owner of this car at local cruise nights and always ask when his car would be finished, this would get him going on a rant about his body guy. Well the day finally came when it got painted and by this time the owner was ready to accept just about anything. When I saw this car for the first time I was shocked at the amount of runs it had. I kid you not, there had to be at least 200 massive full lenght body panel top to bottom runs on every single panel. The front of the hood on a 55 where it dips down toward the grill and overlooks a lower valance that sits behind the front bumper, well that was like niagra falls. the clear had ran so badly there that it actually created a pond of clearcoat on that pan. The painter blamed the clear he used as it was transtar and he never sprayed it before. By the looks of it I was unsure if he had ever sprayed any clear, regardless of brand. To make matters worse he ended up taking it back as is, then had to find some one else to straighten out this mess and reassemble all trim peices as they were just randomly thrown in a bucket. Hardware all mixed up, nothing marked or labeled, just kayous !!!