What Not To Do When Doing Body Work Or Painting A Car - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here's a few more of the previously mentioned "it's a nice car, just needs a different color" 55.

This is one of the body mount braces:

This is from the inside of the quarter looking back at the rear tire:

Yet another floor pan brace/body mount:

The mess in my floor:

And the car did not look that bad:

Kelly

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 PM

Last photo:

I have had a few good laughs so far, thank you for this thread Ray. Just for the record, I have been laughing at some of the posts, not at the person posting, but because most of this I have myself done at some point. I have never sent anyone after reducer carrying a foam cup, however (but if I get the chance I will ).

I have been guilty of calling autozone and asking for: a waterpump for a 66 VW beetle, spark plugs for a 97 powerstroke, and a set of ignition points for a 2008 F-150. As expected they looked for all of the above, and then replied "we don't have a listing on that, it may be a dealer item.....

Kelly
Old 08-23-2013, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

yall are going to think im retarded the other day i was going to do a little blend job on my girl friends car since i fixed the dent last weekend needless to say it was late like 2AM LATE and i was tired and some how mixed and sprayed the clear and forgot to shoot the base the best part was i turned the lights off and noticed the next morning
Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM

When I was younger (a long time ago) I used to paint a couple cars a year and they turned out pretty well I thought. I was doing a car for a friend that was black with a gold Starskey and Hutch style stripe. I painted the gold first then taped the stripe off with the comic section of the Sunday paper. When I pulled the paper and tape off I had a perfect copy all over the gold color. Only took one time to learn that lesson.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
Here's a few more of the previously mentioned "it's a nice car, just needs a different color" 55.

This is one of the body mount braces:

This is from the inside of the quarter looking back at the rear tire:

Yet another floor pan brace/body mount:

The mess in my floor:

And the car did not look that bad:

Kelly
That 55 reminds me of a Dodge Van that came into my shop when I worked for Goodyear...the guy wanted an oil change...said it had been a while. We went o put it up on the hoist and the front end stayed on the ground...the weight of the van must have held the front end in place...the front end was rotted out so bad, one bump and it would have been game over. The customer said that it hadn't been taking corners very good for over 2 weeks...LOL.

Ray
Old 08-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Ray, I guarantee you could have took the body off of the frame and never loosened a bolt on it. The body mounts were all rotted, the floor pans were gone (had roofing tin laying in the pans to keep the brand new carpet from falling through), the rockers, inner and outer were gone, nothing but duct tape and bondo. They didn't even bother to screw or rivet any of the roofing tin patches in, they just slapped on some bondo and while it was wet, they pressed the patches in place. I never knew bondo was a panel adhesive LOL

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
tech69 (08-24-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster76 View Post
yall are going to think im retarded the other day i was going to do a little blend job on my girl friends car since i fixed the dent last weekend needless to say it was late like 2AM LATE and i was tired and some how mixed and sprayed the clear and forgot to shoot the base the best part was i turned the lights off and noticed the next morning

Don't feel bad man, we've all had those late night mishaps. I have mixed W&G in place of reducer, stabilizer instead of reducer, sprayed primer without activator,all after midnight. I could go on and on, but I will try to save some dignity. The thing to remember is, If you have never done anything wrong, you have never done anything!

Kelly
Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

your telling the truth there, the plan this weekend is to go ahead and fix it, at an appropriate time of day lol
Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
your telling the truth there, the plan this weekend is to go ahead and fix it, at an appropriate time of day lol

In lieu of a different thread that led Ray to start this one, If anyone asks why you done that, tell them it was a "sealer coat of clear"

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
monster76 (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Kelly, the new member that you brought into the forum fold, "Preacherman", he and I had a discussion that prompted this thread. I always say that if you haven't done something in this trade that your not totally proud of, you haven't been in the trade long enough.

Well, I have a confession to make...I have done some sculpting in my time...never where it has been a safety issue, or on anything structural...I swear.

When my son was 15 I bought him a 79 Lemans, 305 4 bbl, 4 door, the only difference between this car and a toilet was that the car had 4 handles. The engine ran great, the front end was solid, tires where good...mechanically, the car would pass any safety except for the exhaust and brakes...I did those (and that's another story...I think I told the brake story on here before)...so, the car was tight...except for the body...All four doors where flapping in the breeze...the skins had let go of the shell on all of them...the rear quarters needed attention, not real bad but attention. I paid a couple of hundred for the car, gave myself a $300 budget, (that fixed the brakes and the exhaust...one of my jobbers sold car parts as well)...I was a Paint Rep, so Dupont volunteered the paint and knew the Fiberglass Evercoat guy real well, he volunteered the...you guessed it Fiberglass (and all other fillers)...all I needed now to fix this car for my son was a couple of hockey sticks and 4 pairs of sweat socks (1/2 a hockey stick and 1 pair of socks for each door...I wanted this repair to last). I went to a local rink and even found someone willing to donate the sticks and socks....this is Canada...rinks, hockey sticks and sweat socks on every corner.

I went to work on this car and one day my son came over with a couple of buddies to look at his first car...the look on his face was priceless. He had been bragging about his Dad and here was Dad...fixing the doors and hopping the windows rolled down after. My poor boy left, upset, confused, maybe a little angry and embarrassed. I explained to him that this was what we where going to call, a practice car, a car that no matter what we did was still going to be a 79 4 door Lemans...not a bunch of value and that when he got to be a real good driver, we would work on a car together and do it properly and in the meantime, have fun and learn. He sucked it up but, really didn't seem all that enthused about the car anymore.

Just before he got his license, he was getting anxious and mentioned that he wished I had repaired the car properly. Again, I told him that he was a new driver, he was going to get his license in the dead of Winter, the car was reliable, dependable, safe and it looked good..I may have carved a Lemans...but it was straight and mostly shiny. He had a smile on his face, his shoulder's were a bit slumped, so the reminder came out again...practice car son, practice car.

The day he got his license, I was finishing up the car and was done at about 9:30 - 10:00 at night...my son was dancing from one leg to the other as if he had to pee at a Girls Scout Convention. Finally I gave him the car. He grabbed the keys with a thanks Dad, his buddies piled in and in 30 minutes like clock work, my cell phone rang...It was my son, he just wanted to remind me that this was a practice car and he needed a bit more practice...apparently making Left hand turns on Red lights was one thing he wasn't very good at. He also wasn't very good at avoiding 1993 Chevy 3/4 ton trucks that where going through the Green light as they had a right to.

No one was hurt...the hockey sticks sustained the most damage but the sweat socks kept everything in place. My son now understood and was happy I hadn't spent a thousand hours and thousands of dollars for a 1/2 hour training session. We did go on to build a few cars together and even though he's miles away, we are doing what we can to build a Challenger he picked up.

Just thought I'd mention...not all cars need that 100 point restoration...but...whenever you ask me what the best way is...it won't involve Fiberglass, sweat socks and hockey sticks....I promise.

Ray
Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Wow Kelly, what a segway you and "monster76" gave me for my story...I couldn't have timed that any better...LOL

Ray
Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
If I can offer a bit of advice here...and it is fairly important...clear takes longer to set up than primer and even longer to cure. I agree you have a great sealer coat on the girlfriends car...open it up by sanding it, let it sit in the sun for a day...longer if you can...just to get all those solvents out so that if and when you base over top, 6 months down the road it doesn't die back, sink...anything like that. Chances are you'll be fine, but, that's the difference between clear and primer...besides price, color...price...Oh I mentioned that...LOL...but just good advice if you have the time to wait.

Hope you understand

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
monster76 (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

thanks i haven't thought of that ill just sand it tomorrow and ill redo next saturday.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

That would be perfect...when you do go to base it...quickly scuff the repair area again before applying base...scuffed clear will move in the sun...it has to...solvents are being released, when something is being removed (solvents) something will also move. A quick scuff will ensure that the substrate is open again.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
monster76 (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

I have never used hockey sticks or sweat socks Ray......Short strand fiberglass on the other hand...... I can't count the times a particular guy has told me "just glass it, fiber glass won't rust" and then I remind him that fiber glass won't rust, but the rust it is going on will continue to rust and then when half of the car falls off, the fiber glass will still not be rusted LOL. You will have to fill me in on the hockey stick repairs, I can't even imagine how those would be used. I have not done this (more so for legal issues than for just being plain wrong), but I know of a few cars running around here with road signs for floor pans, quarters etc. and the one's that come to mind weren't (oh I found a road sign for sale and used it) they were (well we needed a patch panel, so we were riding around and I seen this stop sign and...... LOL)

Kelly

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.