What Not To Do When Doing Body Work Or Painting A Car - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I was considering doing salvage jobs with a russian guy and I lasted one day and never came back. It was one of those sport suvs/cars , needed a whole uniside plus rocker, plus a pillar. So the guy hands me this rocker and says to weld it in. So I said, "ok, I'll start drilling out spot welds to stagger the cut, being it was just a used section saw zawwed out of car. So he said, "that way takes too long, just weld it in". Can you imagine all those structural pieces in a rocker to know that on that car, that's probably out on the road right now, it just has a few welds on thin sheet metal on the outside? All the other structural pieces INSIDE aren't even attached to each other where it's needed the most.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I was considering doing salvage jobs with a russian guy and I lasted one day and never came back. It was one of those sport suvs/cars , needed a whole uniside plus rocker, plus a pillar. So the guy hands me this rocker and says to weld it in. So I said, "ok, I'll start drilling out spot welds to stagger the cut, being it was just a used section saw zawwed out of car. So he said, "that way takes too long, just weld it in". Can you imagine all those structural pieces in a rocker to know that on that car, that's probably out on the road right now, it just has a few welds on thin sheet metal on the outside? All the other structural pieces INSIDE aren't even attached to each other where it's needed the most.

I agree Tech, I will say we never done anything "dangerous" for that dealer, just a lot of things should have been done better or differently on the cosmetic side of things. We always staggered cuts, removed inner panels and welded all sides of an "A" pillar (or any of them for that matter), the only thing that was done that I did not agree with was pulling frames and inner structures as far as structural integrity goes. I agree with preacherman, if it needs to be pulled, it should be replaced.

The funny stuff was the taking two fenders to make one, or buying damaged doors to use the window frames on another door, grinding a windshield down so it would fit in a different model truck so he didn't have to buy a new one. That kind of stuff just amazes me looking back now.

Kelly
Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I understand what your saying Henry, when I first started repping in Eastern Canada, I was approached by one of my customers to do some repairs on a Honda Civic with ground effects that had been damaged in an accident, the customer that owned the car wanted a complete color change to a pearl white tri coat and didn't want to go through insurance. My customer told me he wasn't confident in his painter or his staff to do the repairs on the Civic's ground effects and to do a tri coat paint job....that should have been enough Red flags for me, like why are you in business and why did you take on the job and if your not confident in your people, why have them there, but...sure I'll help. We agreed that I would work on the car evenings and week ends and we agreed on what would be a fair price for me to charge.

Did the work, the owner of the Civic was tickled Pink, happy with the job so it's time to pay me. Well, you would think I had made the biggest mess of a car you had ever seen...and of course, the hourly rate we agreed upon, he didn't want to pay. I was pissed to say the least...but smiled and walked out. I went to his customer that owned the Civic, asked if he was happy and if he had paid for the vehicle yet (the car was still in the shop for color sand and buff). He said that he had given a deposit but still owed for the rest of the job. I explained my situation and the Civic owner told me, no problem, he would pay me and take it off the bill.

When it came time to pick up the car, the owner of the Civic walked up to me, gave me a hand full of cash, told the owner of the shop what he thought of his business practices, paid him the rest of the amount owing and left. I lost a customer (who cares, after that I didn't want him as a customer anymore), but gained a great friend in the owner of the Civic.

These guys are out there, most times they don't last long in business...Thank God.

Ray
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,146 Posts
You guys should see the POS 2006 Scion tC we have in the shop right now. This young lady bought the car from someone who had "repaired" it VERY poorly with things like the door is COVERED in filler with the intrusion beam bent in, shell collapsed and covered with filler. We were going to give her a window regulator being the window didn't go up and down, it was in the bottom of the door. She is a young mother and we wanted to do this for her so we pulled the door panel off (no moisture shield of course) and found the regulator all busted, and unplugged, ok. We ordered a new one then the tech comes to me to tell me that the window will never work in that door, huh? Seems the door was so smashed the window channel in the front was mashed! We are talking DESTORYED. They sort of straightened it, removed the rubber, and cut the spot weld so they could move it then put a sheetmetal screw to hold it. There was no way it would work, then we realized the window would hit the intrusion beam! Friggin SCUM! We had to put the window up for good and unplug the motor, damn, it would take a new door for goodness sakes.

The sad part is we replaced the right one with a new door and the old one had very minor damage (comparing it to this mess) to bad we couldn't put the right door on the left side!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
tech69 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Brian, now that is one thing I haven't seen in this trade, putting the right door on the left side...LOL, but trust me, if it was possible some of these scum bags would if that's all they had.

Again, that reminds me of this licensed Tech that actually spliced a cab in half ???...while he was waiting for the new door to arrive that he ordered from the dealer. He actually had Insurance approval for a new cab but, he had an old smashed up one (hit in the firewall) in the back and the one he was working on was hit hard in the back. He cut the cab in half, measured twice...I saw him...welded it back together and when the door came he yelled at the dealership for selling parts that didn't fit...He never tried the door before he welded the cab back together.

It goes to show...a license means that a person has met the minimum requirements to be a technician...LOL

Ray
Old 08-29-2013, 04:16 PM

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:

A good friend of mine who lives in Omaha was on his way up for his own wedding here in town. Well he decided to bounce a deer down the passenger side of his Honda Ridgeline. I told him for a wedding present I would fix it for him minus parts. He agreed and left the truck with me for a month. He came back up the weekend I was finishing it. I sprayed 3 coats of clear and we decided to head to the bar and have supper and a couple beers while it cured. Came back and everything turned out great except for one small run. Woke up the next day to pull her out in the sun and I walked passed my brand new Devilbiss FL3 gun with the air hose still attached to it on the stand. Totally forgot to empty the cup and clean the gun. Had about 1/3 cup of clear in it. Needless to say she now hangs from the wall as a brutal reminder.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

All painters have done that my friend...LOL. Especially if you time your flash times by the number of beer you drink between coats...LOL.

That wall hanger of a gun can be saved though...chemical stripper will clean it up...How do I know...many years ago a customer wanted 4 coats of base and 5 coats of clear with 3 Canadian beer between coats...LOL I think that's about the same time I quite drinking and timing my flash times that way...LOL

Ray
Old 08-29-2013, 05:44 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

left door on the right side ?

Real easy to do if it's a Nash Metropolitan, They fit.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Really, the doors fit from right to left and left to right...I did not know that...another piece of trivia I won't forget.

Thanks

Ray
Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

suicide doors easy way

Just cut the spot welds and switch the hinge panels and lock panels with the doors when you move them, At one time My son Had 4 Metro's , I told Him to Keep one and I would build a tube chassis for it...
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
Real easy to do if it's a Nash Metropolitan, They fit.
Very, very true as I should know have owned one for 33 years.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,146 Posts
I am telling you, the most basic cars ever! My Rambler blew me away when I started working on it. After all the years I have done other cars I was actually kinda stumped on things that were so friggin simple I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Brian
Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You guys should see the POS 2006 Scion tC we have in the shop right now. This young lady bought the car from someone who had "repaired" it VERY poorly with things like the door is COVERED in filler with the intrusion beam bent in, shell collapsed and covered with filler. We were going to give her a window regulator being the window didn't go up and down, it was in the bottom of the door. She is a young mother and we wanted to do this for her so we pulled the door panel off (no moisture shield of course) and found the regulator all busted, and unplugged, ok. We ordered a new one then the tech comes to me to tell me that the window will never work in that door, huh? Seems the door was so smashed the window channel in the front was mashed! We are talking DESTORYED. They sort of straightened it, removed the rubber, and cut the spot weld so they could move it then put a sheetmetal screw to hold it. There was no way it would work, then we realized the window would hit the intrusion beam! Friggin SCUM! We had to put the window up for good and unplug the motor, damn, it would take a new door for goodness sakes.

The sad part is we replaced the right one with a new door and the old one had very minor damage (comparing it to this mess) to bad we couldn't put the right door on the left side!

Brian
that's incredible. This was a shop that did this or a side job from a meth head? That's not borderline criminal, that's never let this guy touch a car again criminal.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:03 AM

Last photo:

Some of these I had to laugh at.....and other's, just shook my head. If you've been in the business for any length of time, you've seen just about anything.

A few of mine:

Late 70's, doing a custom show Camaro split bumper for a stereo manufacturer. Quite a few body mods and custom paint - black with a marigold flake and custom airbrushing. Got the background and lettering done, late at nite and went to clear it. Grabbed the wrong paint gun and shot clear lacquer over the enamel background and lettering on the hoodscoop and rear spoiler. Ended up with a fine wrinkling of all the enamel. Wouldn't have been so bad except I had the bigwigs coming in the next day to look things over. Decided to let it be and redo it after I explained the mishap to them. They show up the next day, oohed and aahed, and pointed out the wrinkling. They thought it was a great and innovative effect. I just kept my mouth shut. (It did look kinda neat.) You never know. lol

About 1975/76 - I'm in the AF in Florida. To make some extra money, I was doing custom paint and airbrushing in my free time. A local hotrod and body shop let me use their facility. One Saturday I'm sitting in the office and one of the biggest bikers I've ever seen stands in the doorway. Wants to know who the custom painter is. That would be me. Asks if I can airbrush his wife on his motorcyle tank. Stands to the side and there is one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen. Sure, I told him but I would need a picture, the whole while I'm thinking something in the "Vargas" pinup style. His wife pulls out a Polaroid picture and hands it over. Butt naked and spread-eagle for all the world to see. Asked if he was sure that's what he wanted on his bike and he said yeah, but with a few changes. Whew....or so I thought. Seems she had made some "grooming" changes which she proceeds to show me right then and there. Okay.....

Same shop, same time era. Lady brings in a red E-type Jag. Wants it white. The regular painter had been on vacation so his helper decides to do it. No sealer. The car came out pink. Surprisingly enough, it was all uniform. Lady stopped by unannounced, saw it and fell in love with it. Like I said, you just never know.

Had a guy bring in a 71 C10 chevy "ready for paint" Probably one of the nicest "homegrown" body resto's I had run across. Everything was blocked straight. Just wanted it painted. Pull it in the booth and prep-sol'ed it and then ran a tack cloth over the body. Cab corners felt a little off, so I thought I'd take care of it for him. Come to find out, he had used some taxidermy foam to sculpt the corners and bondo'ed right over them. Called him and asked him about it. Said he had probably 10-12 hours in each corner. At the time I could buy GM cab corners for about 50 bucks a pair. We fixed it at our cost to him.

Ever run into beer can patches riveted on? Fiberglass and plastic fenders screwed on and then the owner fills the seam with house caulk? The list could go on seemingly forever.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The sad part is that the list does go on forever. I've seen the beer can patches, the screwed on whatever...Your story about the sculpted cab corners reminds me, yet again, of another story. I was fairly new in the trade and had just bought my first house and thought I would do some renovation in the basement and recalled that I had done some front end work (mechanical-ball joints, tie rods etc) for a friend of mine a few years earlier for the price of parts, he was in the home renovation business, he owed me one and I hadn't seen him for a while so I called him. He was more than happy to come and give me a hand.

The reno's got underway and we where talking about what I was doing at that time and told him that I was in the auto body business and was painting cars. He was a believer in the barter system and explained that it was going to take more time and effort to get the renovations done than what it had taken me to do the front end work on his car so it would only be fair if I painted his car and that his car was rust free, just a pile of small dents from being on the job sites. I told him he obviously didn't know what was involved in painting a car so he would have to get the car ready. It was agreed.

2 moths later he brings me this old Pontiac to paint, I ran my had across it, it felt pretty good but, the final sand was a little rough and needed to be finished finer so, being that he was a friend, I told him I would get it prepped in the final grit. I started blocking, a few minor waves but overall, not bad....until I broke through the primer...he had done all the body work in dry wall mud. I called him and explained that this wasn't going to last and it needed to be redone...he said no way paint it, the car only had to last until the Winter and then he was getting a van (Like I haven't heard that story about it only needing to last a short period of time before)...I touched up the spots that I had cut through to the dry wall mud with primer, reblocked and painted the car in Red enamel...it came out exceptionally clean dirt wise....it looked...not to bad for what it was.

He drove the car for the next 3 years before he got rid of it, if you looked close you could see it had sank in a few spots, the once shiny Red was beginning to fade but he said that never tried to bring the color back by polishing, but the dry wall mud stayed in place...I was shocked that he hadn't hit a bump and a chunk of his Pontiac didn't hit the highway...I even thought that the contraction and expansion between cold Winters and Hot Summers would have made things let go...but it stayed in place.

It just goes to show, the one you try the hardest on, you run into trouble with...but bring in a mile'd out, dented, P.O.S. with dents filled with dry wall filler and things go smooth as silk...go figure...LOL

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.