What Not To Do When Doing Body Work Or Painting A Car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What Not To Do When Doing Body Work Or Painting A Car

I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while. As questions come up on how to do things, they often remind me of situations where someone either didn't ask because they were afraid, didn't ask because they didn't care or just felt that what the "H"...I know it's wrong but, I'll do it anyway. So I guess I can start off with a few story of "Don't's.

In the latter part of the 80's, I walked into a shop in central Alberta...the shop did have a reputation for, well, getting it done quickly at a reasonable price and his guarantee was that it would be a 40 footer. As I walked in, the owner of the shop told me that he was in a hurry and could I please help him out by filling up his 1 gallon Jerry can with premium gas. I couldn't imagine why a can of gas would be that important but I drove to the gas station, filled up the can and went back to the shop. When I got there, I couldn't even get the keys out of the ignition before one of the employees (a 14 year old student on a training program) that had been posted outside the shop to watch for me grabbed the and muttered, I hope it's not to late.

Okay, I'm curious...I go into the shop and here is the owner, cutting a quart of Dupont Centari with gas instead of reducer. I started to ask why and he cut me off and said "I don't have time now because when this stuff kicks, it kicks hard"...I watched. The paint laid out like glass, immediately, and shine, I have never seen paint shine like that before. The owner came out and explained. The car belonged to a used car lot...it was Wednesday, they had the car advertised on Thursday and it had to be sold by Friday...because come Sunday, Monday that shine was going to start to haze off something fierce.

Now I don't know if the car sold, but, it did look good, so I tried a test panel with some old Black CIL Acrylic Enamel I had laying around and shot it with gasoline instead of reducer. It lasted about a week...and then it started to look like real dark gray primer...after a month in the sun...I would have sworn it was dirty White....LOL...All this for a little more shine to sell something a little quicker to have deteriorate so much faster...I don't get it.

I'm sure many of you have story's, either of the horror variety, humorous or just plain stupid. I'd love to hear them and I'm sure others would as well.

I have more.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Ray, you just blew my mind. But I thought you were going to say someone lit up a cigarette while he was spraying.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

This reminds me of a guy I know that had a 55 chevy painted some years ago. This was a pretty decent car and was baby blue and white, that was going the same color. Well the guy he had that was going to do the car said he would redo the whole thing for $3500. Now I knew there was something wrong here when I heard this price. Needless to say this job went on for a couple of years, every time he called or went to check out the progress this guy was never around. Then he was working on it at different shops. Some people would approuch the owner of this car at local cruise nights and always ask when his car would be finished, this would get him going on a rant about his body guy. Well the day finally came when it got painted and by this time the owner was ready to accept just about anything. When I saw this car for the first time I was shocked at the amount of runs it had. I kid you not, there had to be at least 200 massive full lenght body panel top to bottom runs on every single panel. The front of the hood on a 55 where it dips down toward the grill and overlooks a lower valance that sits behind the front bumper, well that was like niagra falls. the clear had ran so badly there that it actually created a pond of clearcoat on that pan. The painter blamed the clear he used as it was transtar and he never sprayed it before. By the looks of it I was unsure if he had ever sprayed any clear, regardless of brand. To make matters worse he ended up taking it back as is, then had to find some one else to straighten out this mess and reassemble all trim peices as they were just randomly thrown in a bucket. Hardware all mixed up, nothing marked or labeled, just kayous !!!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:39 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I once used reducer to clean my bondo board and spreaders. it felt oily as I was mixing it after I did that so I paid close attention to how it feathered and it feathered like crap so I went back to bare metal.

One time I gargled my paint cup and forgot to re tighten the cap and the cap looked straight as if it was tightened and went to spray a little base out to clear the cap and it exploded out everywhere-lol

Twice in my life I have sprayed primer with no hardener. It was a pain to get off!!! Both times I was working overtime and was bound to leave right after it was primed. I guess I was in a hurry-lol

Don't be intimidated by a job. Be confident enough to remain calm and at your best but humble enough to know when to seek advice/help/ ideas. In other words, enjoy yourself and try your best.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Here's some of the "what not to do" variety. A friend of mine brought a 55 Chevy to get a repaint and color change. He had bought this car (I hope for cheap) and wanted to change the color to something more appealing than the robin egg green and white that it currently was. Once I got it in the shop I noticed a few things......

Apparently somewhere, spray foam, 2" masking tape, a little body filler, and some undercoating is just as good as replacing floor pans? I will try to upload more pictures of the problems, I can only get one right now for some reason.

Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	76910  
Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

A few years ago I painted a Mustang Black so I worked extra hours to get every panel perfect, but my supplier left out the dryer when mixing paint,ever had to wash down a black car with thinner because paint would not dry after 3 days,
Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

I once mixed base coat stabilizer in clear coat instead of reducer.......not a good day.

Kelly
Old 08-23-2013, 04:22 AM

Last photo:

Not so much on car but,
Mixed a gallon of Viper red off the mixing bank.
Slapped it on the shaker, phone rings, get off the phone, and walk back out in the shop
and there is $700 of Viper red base coat all on the floor!!!!!!
That will never happen again !
Old 08-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Here's one that again, I witnessed personally in a small town in Saskatchewan. Now, some people think the foam on the lake is from a combination of salt and other chemicals in the water. Personally I feel that the foam is there because they allow the Rabid town painter drink from it. For all you people that live in Saskatchewan, you now know the name of the town I'm talking about.

I head into Foam Lake to make one of my two stops, my first one being at the local Implement Dealer/Auto Parts Store/Hardware Store/Hasty Mart/Butcher Shop/Barber Shop/Dentist/Chiropractor/Body Shop. As I walk in I call the name of the owner of the establishment...no response but, I do hear the compressor running in the shop so it's off to the shop I go.

As I walk into the shop, I notice that a section in one corner had been partitioned off with plastic sheeting, a large fan used for removing dust from grain was running at top speed and the dirt floor around the make shift booth was wet. I moved closer to the plastic enclosure I smelled the distinct odor of Endura Paint, (a locally produced product that is tough as nails but you need an air fed respirator to read the Tech sheets) and I heard a muffled kind of singing. Again I called out the name of this multi talented entrepreneur, still no answer. I struggle but I finally do find the section of the plastic that would allow a person access and I walk in, still calling his name. All of a sudden, I am being yelled at to the effect of "What the F*&* are you doing in here, this truck has to turn out perfect", while I'm standing in 3 inches of mud.

I begin apologizing and in the middle of my apology I stop, my jaw drops, the boss now comes around the corner of the vehicle, I can't believe what I saw...he was smoking a cigarette with a hole cut in his paper respirator and his German Shepard was standing beside him wagging his tail in the freshly painted box side.

I didn't know if I should laugh, cry or run...I choose run...I never did return, I drove by often just to see if he would survive....and here is proof that life isn't fair. I drove by for years, he not only survived, he started selling appliances.

Ray
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

factory paint

When I worked at a Ford factory a guy filled his thermos with color every day until he had enough paint for his car, then a week later he finally asked one of the sprayers why his paint was still tacky. He had stolen 450 * bake enamel. and it would never air dry-cure.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:10 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Here's one that again, I witnessed personally in a small town in Saskatchewan. Now, some people think the foam on the lake is from a combination of salt and other chemicals in the water. Personally I feel that the foam is there because they allow the Rabid town painter drink from it. For all you people that live in Saskatchewan, you now know the name of the town I'm talking about.

I head into Foam Lake to make one of my two stops, my first one being at the local Implement Dealer/Auto Parts Store/Hardware Store/Hasty Mart/Butcher Shop/Barber Shop/Dentist/Chiropractor/Body Shop. As I walk in I call the name of the owner of the establishment...no response but, I do hear the compressor running in the shop so it's off to the shop I go.

As I walk into the shop, I notice that a section in one corner had been partitioned off with plastic sheeting, a large fan used for removing dust from grain was running at top speed and the dirt floor around the make shift booth was wet. I moved closer to the plastic enclosure I smelled the distinct odor of Endura Paint, (a locally produced product that is tough as nails but you need an air fed respirator to read the Tech sheets) and I heard a muffled kind of singing. Again I called out the name of this multi talented entrepreneur, still no answer. I struggle but I finally do find the section of the plastic that would allow a person access and I walk in, still calling his name. All of a sudden, I am being yelled at to the effect of "What the F*&* are you doing in here, this truck has to turn out perfect", while I'm standing in 3 inches of mud.

I begin apologizing and in the middle of my apology I stop, my jaw drops, the boss now comes around the corner of the vehicle, I can't believe what I saw...he was smoking a cigarette with a hole cut in his paper respirator and his German Shepard was standing beside him wagging his tail in the freshly painted box side.

I didn't know if I should laugh, cry or run...I choose run...I never did return, I drove by often just to see if he would survive....and here is proof that life isn't fair. I drove by for years, he not only survived, he started selling appliances.

Ray
that's one thing that bugs me, when people subject their dogs/pets
to the harmful stuff in shops then have the nerves to wonder why it had such a short life.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

After laying down a nice white base coat, I looked around for a mixing cup for the clear and settled on a new, clean coffee can. Clear, reducer and hardener were all strained going into the can, but the mix went straight into the gun.

Spraying out onto the fender it seemed like I was getting specks in the paint and couldn't figure out what was up...then blammo it was like instant metallic spreading out over my white. Turns out the plating inside the coffee can came loose into the clear. A nice mess to stop and clean up, instead of continuing on with my painting.

Another mixing cup story was, pouring paint into some regular plastic cup that was laying around. It sat for maybe 20 minutes on the bench then when I went to pick it up it collapsed in my hand, melted. Paint went everywhere while I stood there with that goo in my fingers.

Just an amateur here, my paint jobs (when I do one) come out good but it's from persistence more than skill. I've certainly made most of the mistakes.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kso View Post
After laying down a nice white base coat, I looked around for a mixing cup for the clear and settled on a new, clean coffee can. Clear, reducer and hardener were all strained going into the can, but the mix went straight into the gun.

Spraying out onto the fender it seemed like I was getting specks in the paint and couldn't figure out what was up...then blammo it was like instant metallic spreading out over my white. Turns out the plating inside the coffee can came loose into the clear. A nice mess to stop and clean up, instead of continuing on with my painting.

Another mixing cup story was, pouring paint into some regular plastic cup that was laying around. It sat for maybe 20 minutes on the bench then when I went to pick it up it collapsed in my hand, melted. Paint went everywhere while I stood there with that goo in my fingers.

Just an amateur here, my paint jobs (when I do one) come out good but it's from persistence more than skill. I've certainly made most of the mistakes.
That reminds me of when we sent the rookie to the Body Shop across the street with a styrofoam cup and told him to borrow some reducer...LOL...3 trips latter he asked if he should double cup it...LOL

My first story was about cutting AE with gasoline for that instant none lasting shine. The same shop...different problem.

I was called in because of a color match issue on a white...I was told that the formula was way off because the color was leaning to the red side. I had been around long enough to know that I would save time if I mixed up a small portion at the store and then go to the shop.

I walked into the booth, the white wasn't leaning to the red side, the "friggin" Van was a pink/orange color. I asked if he could have made a mistake, grabbed a wrong tinter, anything like that. He swore that he mixed it right to code. I showed him what I had mixed, we sprayed it out and the color was fine. I asked him to mix up more color and do exactly what he had done the first time. I watched closely as every toner was added and he was, without a doubt accurate. When he was done, he stirred up the color and sure enough, it turned out to be pinkish orange. I opened every toner, looked to see if there was any color contamination, nothing...then it dawned on me...I looked at his mixing cans...they where recycled tomato soup cans that hadn't been washed out very well...in fact the cleanest part of the can was the outside...where the label used to be.

Just goes to show you...it is a fussy trade if tomato soup can ruin a paint job...LOL

Ray
Old 08-23-2013, 10:40 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Don't wet sand fillers, we all know how I learned that lesson.
Bubbles, lots of bubbles,
Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

LOL...That's OK...guess how I masked up my first antenna...around and around we went...LOL

That reminds me of a student that was on a "Work Experience Program", The manager of a Body Shop asked if he knew how to mask up a car...the student said yes he did...so the manager told him to mask up the Mustang in the corner...an hour and half later the student went back to the manager and asked for more tape...the manager said "I just gave you at least 10 rolls of masking tape, why would you need more". The student said...I ran out on the hood after I finished masking the front fender....No paper, just tape...LOL.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.