What oil would you use in a stock 41 Chevy. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

What oil would you use in a stock 41 Chevy.

I'm thinking straight 30 in the summer. How far off base am I?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2008, 10:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

oil early engines

use a detergent 30 w. oil if you have a filter. new oils don't have something in them anymore to lube the flat tappet cams and you need to use oil that still havethem ( diesel or amsoil ) have these properties.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:39 PM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

The additive you refer to is Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate or ZDDP, and it can still be found in some racing oils and some oil additives in varying concentrations. Many good articles/threads with many links to others on this site. I've found an inexpensive oil at WalMart that is still formulated to SE/SF ASI ratings and contains between 1-5% ZDDP. It's called ACCEL brand and is made by Warren Petroleum Products of Omaha,Ne .
It is specifically stated as being for pre-1989 engines requiring antiwear additive package meeting API sevice standard SE, although the oil is actually rated as SF. STP oil treatment still carries some ZDDP in it as well, and even O'Reilly Auto Parts' private label oil additive is stated as containing ZDDP, although I couldn't personally tell you which of these contain them in what amounts. I can tell you that the ACCEL brand oil at WalMart as I have found it, only comes as SAE10W-40 or SAE-30, (but at less than $1.90/qt. when I purchased it last week, it sure beats the price of the highly-touted "racing oils") and comparitively has much more of the ZDDP additive than most I've seen spec.sheets for. Perhaps I might've made a good find, but I'll let you know soon enough- I'm going to break-in my new 406 with flat-tappet (hydraulic) cam on Tues.or Wed. of this coming week, and should be reporting as to how it went soon after. -Jim
PS: Many of the newest diesel engine oils also have most or all of the ZDDP removed as well. Used to be the SHELL Rotella T was good for Zinc content,but formulation has changed recently, so be careful to check out carefully. Check the other threads and their links for more info.

Last edited by j.d.brown.042964; 06-28-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add info.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.d.brown.042964
The additive you refer to is Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate or ZDDP, and it can still be found in some racing oils and some oil additives in varying concentrations. Many good articles/threads with many links to others on this site. I've found an inexpensive oil at WalMart that is still formulated to SE/SF ASI ratings and contains between 1-5% ZDDP. It's called ACCEL brand and is made by Warren Petroleum Products of Omaha,Ne .
It is specifically stated as being for pre-1989 engines requiring antiwear additive package meeting API sevice standard SE, although the oil is actually rated as SF. STP oil treatment still carries some ZDDP in it as well, and even O'Reilly Auto Parts' private label oil additive is stated as containing ZDDP, although I couldn't personally tell you which of these contain them in what amounts. I can tell you that the ACCEL brand oil at WalMart as I have found it, only comes as SAE10W-40 or SAE-30, (but at less than $1.90/qt. when I purchased it last week, it sure beats the price of the highly-touted "racing oils") and comparitively has much more of the ZDDP additive than most I've seen spec.sheets for. Perhaps I might've made a good find, but I'll let you know soon enough- I'm going to break-in my new 406 with flat-tappet (hydraulic) cam on Tues.or Wed. of this coming week, and should be reporting as to how it went soon after. -Jim
PS: Many of the newest diesel engine oils also have most or all of the ZDDP removed as well. Used to be the SHELL Rotella T was good for Zinc content,but formulation has changed recently, so be careful to check out carefully. Check the other threads and their links for more info.
I know what oil you are talking about, I have used the SAE-30 in lawn mower engines.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

I would use Valvoline racing 20w-50

Jordon
Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The ACCELL brand oil is what I put in my lawnmower.. SAE 30 non detergent.. however I was told it was blue in color because it is recycled oil and the blue is the indicator for that, but IDK if it is true or not
Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 AM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

Just popped the cap on the ACCEL 10W-40. Not blue, standard coloration.-However I purchased it for the zinc content so it could be pink with green polka-dots and myself and the engine wouldn't care. Gonna use this oil + 1 bottle STP for the initial firing and break-in of my 406 (Crane hydraulic flat tappet #113801) on this coming Tuesday 7/01 or Wednesday 7/02 and we'll know more after that. I think it should go just fine, but I'll report back for sure. -Jim
Old 06-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

I know the SAE-30 non detergent is blue.. it might be the indicator that it is non detergent, rather than a recycled oil indicator.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFarmer2
I'm thinking straight 30 in the summer. How far off base am I?
This is not full pressure lube engine that was originally operated with a non-detergent oil. You need to be careful here, there aren't many oils made today that really fit this engine's requirements.

Keep in mind the rod bearings are lubed by dippers and spray not by pressure. The rod bearing clearance will be set by shims under the bearing shell. The mains are poured Babbitt that is align honed for straightness and clearance. Unless this engine has been modernized somewhere in it's life, this is what you can expect. Original seals were either leather or rope unless modernized somewhere along the line. Because of the original sealing technology, you need to stay with a mineral based oil, synthetics will get out of the 1940's sealing technology with great ease. The greater bearing clearances of Babbitt bearings and the less accurate machining of cylinder walls, pistons, and rings will encourage oil consumption of these lubes.

Detergency of modern oils tend to keep combustion and wear products in suspension and these old engines don't really have if they have at all the filtration capabilities of modern engines so this stuff tends to circulate. In the good old days engine oil formed sludge which tended to trap out the gunk in the oil and glue it down to the engine's internal structure. If this engine is original, putting detergent and synthetic oils will encourage the sludge to come loose and circulate.

Oil today is very different from 1940s oil. Even so far as to how they respond to viscosity ratings. A 1940s 30 weight oil would be very much thicker and low temps and thinner at high temps than a modern oil rated at 30 weight. The good thing about modern oils is that if using a 30 weight, the engine would see better cold start lubrication from a less thick cold oil and better at the hot end as a modern 30 weight wouldn't get so thinned with temperature. In a lot of respects modern mineral oils act very much like synthetics in many regards.

Today probably the oil that best emulates old straight weight 30 at operating temperature is 20W-50. Plus, by a quiet agreement between the EPA and operators of off road diesel engines, oils rated at 50 and above retain higher levels of ZDDP additives. This is good for the lifter to tappet interface as well as adding some protection to the dip lubricated rod bearings.

Bogie
Old 06-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

oldbogie pretty much covered it all.

Because of the poured babbitt bearings; I would stick with 30 wt. non-detergent oil. If oil consumption seems greater than you wish or the oil pressure seems too low, then I would go up to as high as 60 wt.

I would not use a multi viscosity oil.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

even if it does have an oil filter, some do some don't.. it is still a bypass filter, only approx 25% of the pumped oil gets filtered. so a lot of trash will be carried thru the engine with a detergent oil.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.