What oil you runnin? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 11:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What oil you runnin?

Got a solid flat tappet cam in the s10,

Been reading but it's getting me nowhere. Some say this, some say that.

Can I run Delo 400 le with a bottle of engine break in additive? Anyone recommend one that's easy to find?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Any good oil can be used (except synthetic) if you also use a zinc additive. I personally use Valvoline VR1 Racing oil in any of my solid cam applications.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
if you beat my boat, well race

Last photo:

some odd moons ago the EPA took zinc out of conventional oils.they say "its better for the environment" but now its causing flat tappet cams to go flat.
these oils lack the zinc. so its detremental to all oldschool engines. the roller cams do fine.

i use either Kendall or schaffers racing oils, kinda pricy @ 10 bucks a quart. but they are formulated for high rpm use.

you caN use any oils you want, but like S10 said make sure you use zinc additive. it will do just fine.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

That's why I am thinking about adding a ZDDP or break in additive.

Just wondering what everyone else was running, or recommends.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi.
You can use synthetic oil for F.T. break-in, you just need to get the correct one.
Corvettes & other Hi Performance vehicles come from the factories w/synthetic.(I know there rollers. But the cam isn't the only high pressure area either)
Scroll down & read the charts about whats in Amsols synthetic oils. Not looking
for an argument, just read the article & make up your own mind.
Rich

Free AMSOIL Catalog
Price Quote Form
Motor Oils
Diesel Oils
Motorcycle Oils
2-Cycle Oils
Trans. Fluids
Online Store

AMSOIL Synthetic Oil Technology LLC - Oil Change Products

HOME
SPECIAL OFFER!! AMSOIL 6 Month Trial Preferred Customer Membership
Free AMSOIL Catalog Request Form
Contact Us
AMSOIL Ordering / Wholesale Accounts
AMSOIL Online Store
Preferred Customer Wholesale Account
AMSOIL Commercial Business Account
AMSOIL Retailer Store Account
AMSOIL Wholesale Pricing
FREE "MyAmsoilGarage"
Dealer Account
Become An AMSOIL Dealer
NEW!! ONLINE AMSOIL DEALER REGISTRATION
Order AMSOIL By Phone
Product Lookup Guides
Auto and Light Trucks Lookup
PowerSports Lookup
Small Engine Lookup
TRICO Wipers Heavy Duty Lookup
Vintage Vehicle Filter Lookup
HD Truck and Bus Filters Lookup
AMSOIL Motor Oils
Standard Motor Oils
Racing Motor Oils
Diesel Oils
2-Cycle Oils
4-Stroke Oils
Briggs and Stratton 4T Racing Oil
AMSOIL Motorcycle Oils
All AMSOIL Motorcycle Oils and Info
Harley Davidson Oil Application Chart
Motorcycle Oil and Air Filters
20W-50 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
SAE 60 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
10W-30 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
AMSOIL Gear Oils
Standard Gear Oils
Racing Gear Oils
Other Fluids
Transmission Fluids
Fuel Additives
Compressor Oils
Hydraulic Oils
Brake Fluids
Power Steering Fluid
Suspension Fluids
Antifreeze / Coolants
Grease
Cleaners / Protectants
Cleaners / Flush
Protectants / Spray Lubes
Filters
Oil Filters
EAHD Heavy Duty Filters - Trucking
Air Filters
Fuel Filters
Transmission Filters
Hydraulic Filters
Cabin Air Filters
By-Pass Oil Systems
Donaldson TopSpin Filters
Crankcase Breather Air Filters
Coolant Filters
Motorcycle Filters
MANN Filters
Filter Install Info
WIX Cabin Air Filters Install
MANN Cabin Air Filters Install
By-Pass Oil Filter Systems Install
Master Filter Cross Reference
Other Products
Clothing / Promotional Items
Trico Wiper Blades
MOTHERS Car Care
NGK Spark Plugs / Wires
NGK Plugs and Wires Cross Reference
Pet Safe Antifreeze
Gear and Bearing Oils
MISC.
Factors For Motor Oil Failure
Flat Tappet and Camshaft Lobe Lubrication
AMSOIL Leads The Way
Racing News Blog
Event News Blog
Warranty
Questions And Answers
Oil Terms and Acronyms
What Is Synthetic Oil?
Why Are AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants the Best?
AMSOIL Purchase Options
Product Data Sheets
Merchant Circle
Material Safety Data Bulletins
Oil Analyzers Website

Buy AMSOIL Online

Create a FREE AMSOIL Account Now!!

---------------------

Amsoil Online Catalog

AMSOIL Catalog (PDF)

----------------------

Amsoil MyGarage
Flat Tappet and Camshaft Lobe Lubrication

AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil Recommendations

ISSUES:

Flat tappet camshafts undergo extreme pressure and loads, thus requiring an engine oil that is fortified with antiwear additives to provide premium protection. The severity of higher spring pressure in racing engines also creates the need for additional wear protection.

To preserve catalytic converter life, phosphorus levels in motor oil have been reduced. Concerns have risen that oils containing lower levels of zinc/phosphorus could provide insufficient protection in high-pressure areas of flat tappets and camshaft lobes found in many older and high performance engines.

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION:

The most commonly used anti-wear additive in motor oils is zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP). ZDDP contains both zinc and phosphorus components working together to provide anti-wear protection, and is most important during cam "break-in" procedures. Proper break-in lubes should be used during the break-in phase for all new or rebuilt engines with flat tappets. These lubricants provide the extra protection required to reduce wear at the point of contact during break-in and help the flat tappet face properly mate with the cam lobe. Once the break-in phase is completed, AMSOIL motor oils, which are formulated with high levels of zinc and phosphorus, will provide premium protection to flat tappet cams.

The American Petroleum Institute (API) and International Lubricants Standards Approval Committee (ILSAC) have mandated the reduction of phosphorus to extend catalytic converter life. However, reducing the level of ZDDP can compromise protection to engine components, most notably in fl at tappet camshafts. Current API SN and ILSAC GF-5 specifications for gasoline engines have maximum and minimum phosphorus levels of 800 ppm and 600 ppm, respectively, for SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30 motor oils.

All engines, especially high-performance modified engines, benefit from oils with superior film strength and antiwear properties. The flat tappet/camshaft lobe interface is the one area in an engine that has extreme contact load. Since this load increases significantly when non-stock, high-pressure valve springs are employed, the use of properly formulated motor oils is extremely important to reduce wear and extend flat tappet/camshaft life.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

AMSOIL recommends motor oils containing high levels of zinc/phosphorus for superior protection. The following tables list many of the AMSOIL synthetic motor oils that are formulated with high levels of anti-wear additives:

Primary

Recommendations
Phosphorus Level (ppm) Zinc Level (ppm)
Z-ROD™ 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (ZRT) 1320 1440
Z-ROD™ 20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil (ZRF) 1320 1440

Secondary Recommendations Phosphorus Level (ppm) Zinc Level (ppm)
Premium Protection 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (AMO) 1265 1378
Premium Protection 20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil (ARO) 1266 1379
Series 3000 5W-30 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (HDD) 1266 1379
15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil (AME) 1267 1377

AMSOIL Synthetic Racing Oils Phosphorus Level (ppm) Zinc Level (ppm)
Dominator® 5W-20 Synthetic Racing Oil (RD20) 1424 1575
Dominator® 10W-30 Synthetic Racing Oil (RD30) 1424 1575
Dominator® 15W-50 Synthetic Racing Oil (RD50) 1424 1575
SAE 60 Super Heavy Weight Synthetic Racing Oil (AHR) 1265 1375

AMSOIL ZRT, ZRF, AMO, ARO, HDD, AME, RD20, RD30, RD50 and AHR all contain high levels of zinc/phosphorus, maximizing flat tappet/camshaft life in stock modified and high-performance applications.

ZRF 20W-50ZRT 10W-30AMSOIL Z-ROD™ 10W-30 (ZRT) and 20W-50 (ZRF) Synthetic Motor Oils are formulated with high zinc and phosphorus levels to provide protection in gasoline engines with flat tappet camshafts. Z-ROD oils also contain high levels of rust and corrosion inhibitors for maximum protection during long periods of storage.

AMSOIL Premium Protection 10W-40 (AMO) and 20W- 50 (ARO) Synthetic Motor Oils are formulated with high zinc and phosphorus levels to provide protection in both gasoline (SL) and diesel (CI-4 Plus) applications. These oils are an outstanding choice where high zinc-containing protection is required, such as in late model hot rods that require extra camshaft protection.

AMSOIL Series 3000 5W-30 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (HDD) is a combination diesel/gasoline oil with a higher starting TBN to handle the significant stresses from high soot loading and acid generation in modern diesel engines. HDD contains the high phosphorus and zinc required for long life engine protection.

AMSOIL 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil (AME) is engineered for use in a wide variety of light and heavy-duty applications. AME is formulated with high levels of zinc and phosphorus to ensure protection of flat tappet camshaft lobes in high performance diesel engines.

AMSOIL Dominator® 5W-20, 10W-30 and 15W-50 Synthetic Racing Oils (RD20, RD30, RD50) are all formulated with the same robust additive package. These oils are heavily fortified with zinc and phosphorus to protect flat tappet cams in the most extreme racing conditions.

AMSOIL SAE 60 Super Heavy Weight Synthetic Racing Oil (AHR) is a super heavy weight racing oil designed for alcohol and nitro burning race engines where viscosity loss associated with fuel dilution is a concern. AHR includes a high dose of zinc-containing anti-wear chemistry that race engines require.

For Factory Direct Ordering and Specials Call: 800-985-5823

Brian Klinkner - Amsoil Direct Jobber #1642716

Get Started with a FREE AMSOIL Account
6-Month Wholesale PC Trial Membership Offer

Get a AMSOIL Wholesale Price List and Discount Ordering Info Sent
to Your Email Now.

First name
Email address

Online Product Application Guide

Search AMSOIL
Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter MyAmsoilGarage Maintenance Tool

A Few Of Our
Satisfied Customers
J. Lee Satisfied Customer D. Woods Satisfied Customer J. Black Satisfied Customer B. Philippi Satisfied Customer C. Dunham Satisfied Customer J. Rickabaugh Satisfied Customer J. Ferguson Satisfied Customer B. Woods Satisfied Customer J. Westphale Satisfied Customer P. Dupont Satisfied Customer B. Walker Satisfied Customer B. Tonnon Satisfied Customer
Register for a 6 - Month Preferred Customer Trial Membership We Are Proud To Be A Sponsor For The . . . "Royal Guide Service" Northern Minnesota Fishing Expeditions Royal Guide Service - Northern Minnesota Fishing

Amsoil is Made in the USA - Superior, WI

"While the competition has been formulating their oils down to a price, we have been formulating ours up to the highest performance standards."
--Al Amatuzio--President and CEO, AMSOIL INC.

AMSOIL Also Offers

Last edited by richard stewart 3rd; 05-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:45 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

The Importance of ZDDP - YouTube">The Importance of ZDDP - YouTube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

don't trust any over the counter oil.. read the label.. any for use in todays cars or big rigs, are lacking the zinc, no matter syn or dyno..
not all racing oil does either, valoine has 2 different lines of racing oils.. one with one without..
some say they never have issues, but are they going to be the one paying for your rebuild when and if a lifter/lobe fails, answer that to yourself. and do whats best for you..
just be cause shell big rig oil "used" to have it, doesn't mean it does now..
same with most oils, you'll have to read the label.. adding the zipp, won't hurt anything, unless you over do it..
running a high detergent oil and zipp additive fight each other..
this is basical an infomercial but it spells it out nicely..

The Importance of ZDDP - YouTube

Last edited by gearheadslife; 05-11-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

Good video.

That's why I am looking at the Rotella Delo 400le, which is CI-4 rated, on top of break in additive should have the proper zddp
Old 05-11-2013, 06:36 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject both here and on some other boards. I think the consensus is 1200-1400 ppm of Zinc, or ZDDP as we call it. Im not a fan of diesel truck oils in automotive applications, maybe its just me. Every oil has a purpose, just like I wouldn't use car oil in a motocycle.
With that said, Valvoline VR1, Brad Penn and Joe Gibbs all make excellent oils with ZDDP. BE CAREFULWHAT YOU GET, as all oils are not created equal. Break in lube additive is for break in, I wouldn't add it to my motor oil. Continued use of too much ZDDP is not good either. Price varies, but Im using the Brad Penn in both my flat solid tappet motors. The Joe Gibbs is like $15.00 a quart. I use Mobil one or Amsoil in everything else, including my John Deere tractor and HD Motorcycle. Hope this puts you on the right track
Do your proper break in procedure, you shouldn't have any issues.
PS... Brad Penn makes a "Break in" oil with extra amounts of Zinc.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer View Post
I personally use Valvoline VR1 Racing oil in any of my solid cam applications.
X2 on the VR1 Valvoline "High zinc/phosphorus provides extreme wear protection, including flat tappet applications"

While I agree with the phrase "You Can Never Have Too Much Horsepower or Too Much Ammunition".... too much ZDDP can result in combustion chamber deposits.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Too much ZDDP will also wear out your engine faster. There are also new additives in modern oil to replace some of the ZDDP. Anyway most of this information is 10 years old.

Check out some film strength tests and it will prove ZDDP is not the end all additive needed for flat tappet engines. Pennzoil Platinum has the highest film strength of any oil tested including several racing, and extra ZDDP oils.

I have been using Chevron Supreme 10w-30 in my 383 with a xe274H flat tapped cam for 3 years now. No flat cam. If you go back and read all the problems MOST of them relate to the XE line of cams, just think for a minute. The most popular and most radical ramp rate "street cam" their are bound to be some failures even with cam additives.

Some people still say Comp Cams let out a bunch of bad cams, Comp of course blamed the oil.

PS take a look at the film strength tests of diesel oils and you will probably think twice about using them in a gas engine.

Last edited by xxllmm4; 05-11-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Times 3 on the Valvoline VR1. If I can't find it I add breakin additive.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Best oil on the market today for all my engines is Brad Penn. It's a mix of regular oil and a small percentage of synthetic, plus it has zinc in it. I still use Valvoline Racing Oil, but I'm down to my last case of it. I purchased a huge supply of 20-50 wt. VRO off a guy on Craigslist who had new old stock still in the old cardboard cans for less than $4 a can. Very good stuff, and what I used back in the 60's and 70's.
The Brad Penn I bought to replace VRO when it finally runs out. It's $75 a case which works out to just over $6 a can. Considering what zinc additive costs per oil change, and the price of oil, the Brad Penn is a bargain, and doesn't need any additives.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.