What other engines will hook-up to this transmission? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Let the wheels of life roll on

Last journal entry: donor truck for hot rod hellion
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What other engines will hook-up to this transmission?

I'm replacing the 232 I-6 in my 1966 ambassador, and it has an automatic tranny. i was wondering if a 283 chev v8 or a Chevy I-6 would hook up to the transmission... any info will be greatly apreciated!

Thanks,
4d4rd

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2006, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

No GM engines will bolt up..
Old 06-01-2006, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

alright, sorry. i just heard that ambassador somtimes used power gilde trannys in their models, because they bought what they could from other companys. i know it has ford spindles on the front and a ford rear end....

thanks anyway..
Old 06-02-2006, 06:18 AM

Last journal entry: Painting
Last photo:

The swap

You would be better off having a newer transmission that all ready matches your engine swap. As far as the yoke goes, just change the yoke that fits your transmission. U-joints are a must and a drive shaft that was made to handle the torque of your engine must be changed. If you are running an I-6, then your drive shaft is probably not going to work under severe loads. You tend to take the chance of twisting that old shaft. So get a balanced shaft with the proper rear spline. It is well worth the hassle in the long run.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:41 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40fordtruck_son
alright, sorry. i just heard that ambassador somtimes used power gilde trannys in their models, because they bought what they could from other companys. i know it has ford spindles on the front and a ford rear end....

thanks anyway..
AMC used GM and Mopar transmissions but always with their own unique belhousing pattern. Same for IH. If you swap in a different brand engine you might as well get the trans to go with it, it won't make the swap any harder. Maybe a crossmember move, different mount and yoke and driveshaft alteration and then again maybe not. All realtively minor stuff. If it has a PG then a GM TH350 would be just about a straight across swap as far as all that with only a shift linkage tweak being necessary.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:16 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

1. AMC used BORG-WARNER (56-71) and Chrysler (72-up) auto transmissions. Only AMC/Jeep J-series Wagoneers/Cherokees/pickups used GM autos (TH-400) from 66-79. Early models used a Jeep made adapter, 76-79 models used a cast for AMC case/bell. All are 4x4.

2. 1940-1971 Nash/Rambler/AMC sixes use a unique to AMC bolt pattern. In 1972 AMC changed the six cylinder bolt pattern to the same as the AMC V-8.

3. AMC V-8s use two different bolt patterns. The 1956-66 GEN-1 (250/287/327) uses one pattern, 1966-69 GEN-2 (1966 only 290, 67-69 290/343/390) and 70-91 GEN-3 (1970 304/360/390, 1971-79 304/360/401, 1980-91 360 only) use a different bolt pattern. As noted above the 72 and later six uses the same bolt pattern.

4. To change to a different engine you'll have to change the whole drive train. Since it's a 66, you'll have to change the rear axle too. AMC was the last manufacturer to use a torque tube setup. It's easy enough to install ladder bars, truck arms, or a four link. Any will take some fabrication. I run a Jaguar axle in my 63 Classic, which had the same torque tube setup as your 66. That's replacing the rear suspension the hard way! I ran ladder bars in one before the Jag setup.

5. AMC DID NOT use a FORD rear axle, but an AMC design. Same for the spindles. The bearing set is the same as a Ford, and Mustang II hubs will fit, but the offset is way off from AMC. AMC uses bolt on spindles and a totally unique front end design, though it looks similar to a Mustang II on the lower arms. AMC outsourced parts when they could buy cheaper than they could build -- just like EVERYONE does now. There aren't many parts from other manufacturers. AMC didn't make tranmissions, steering columns, carburetors, or electrical components. They made nearly everything else. The brakes are mostly Bendix, same source Ford used for some of theirs. Another manufacturer was used in the mid 60s along with Bendix, but I don't recall the name now.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

so... if i switch engines i have to switch evrey thing??

that blows...

thanks for all the info though... thats pretty cool to know all that shtuff...

any suggestions? is it worth buying a whole diffrent set-up or should i just try to fix the engine?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:59 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

If you're looking for a reliable cruiser, just fix the 232. Parts from later models will fit -- all the way up to a Jeep 4.0L. Since the 232 was used in Jeeps, you can find plenty speed parts. Offenhauser and Clifford Performance make 4V intakes for it, Clifford headers. A 390 cfm carb is usually preferred as it makes better low end torque, but a 450 cfm will make a little better high speed power. I'd go with the small one for cruising. You can get cams too.

Search "4.0L head swap". That's a common swap for Jeepers, usually with 258 sixes, that will work as well on your 232. The only thing to watch out for is that yours uses a shaft rocker system. Go to http://www.mattsoldcars.com/techinfo/boltmod.shtml and read up on this, especially if your valves are making a little noise. If you switch to a later head the gasket will block the oil passage for the rocker shaft, which is good. Just remember to change the pushrods to hollow ones so the rockers on the later head will get oil. The deck of the AMC six was raised in 1971 by 1/8" to create the 258, so 4.0L pushrods won't work with your low deck six. You'll have to measure and order the correct length pushrods. The 4.0L head flows much better than any other AMC six head. The 91-96 head is preferred as it flows best, but any 4.0L head will outflow the old head. The old head has bigger ports, but the shape of the smaller 4.0L ports are optimized for best flow.

You can't put a 258 in your car though. AMC changed the bell housing pattern on the six in 1972. Well, you COULD put a 258 in -- IF you can find a 1971 only 258 block. That's tough! I was thinking you could probably create a hybrid and use a 258 crank in your 232 block, but then you'd need custom length rods or custom pin height pistons. The 199/232/258 all have the same bore but different strokes. The 4.0L has a different bore (3.875" bore vs. 3.750") and stroke (3.41"... 258 is 3.875", 232 is 3.50" stroke, 199 is 3.00" stroke).

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.