what other ifs,s is there out there besides the mustang 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

what other ifs,s is there out there besides the mustang 11

Hi , guys just thinking what other ifs is out there to fit the 1933-34 mopars, besides the mustang 11.Would rather have something stronger, has anyone used a s-10 truck front crossmenber,or can it even be used with this type of fenderd car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Kruzin Karl

Last photo:

http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/index.htm

I don't know if Bob makes a kit for your vehicle, but I just received my front crossmember for my 35 Ford pickup, and I'm EXTREMELY pleased with the quality. It uses the corvette setup.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I'm a huge advocate for the Ford Twin I-Beam IFS. I usually scab mine from an F-150 2wd donor. I'm partial to it because, at first glance, it appears to be a traditional straight axle. Here's the 1978 Twin I-Beam under my '32 pickup:

If you click here and then go to the entries near the beginning of the journal, you can see step-by-step fabrication for the I-Beams.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

There are some IFS being built now that use the Caprice spindles..Those maintain the stock GM rotors and calipers..Jim Meyers out in Oregon is one of the people doing this..He does nice work..

Also it is not an impossible job to build your own with all the info we now have available..

Sam
Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

late jag

I bought a couple of late 80's jag ifs..they have 11 1/2 disc and rear steer. I plan on building a new tube crosmember, willl use the stock one to make a fixture to get all the pivot and bolt holes in the right spot. will use coil overs and the WIKI article shows using a cavilair R & p center pivot a racing design similar costs a grand for just the rack unit. some guys also are using dodge dokata drop out units

Last edited by timothale; 02-27-2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: mis spel;ling
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

I have a customer with a 33 plymouth who has a volare torsion bar independent set up, I 'll see if it was an old chassis engineering kit or another brand. I know it was a kit using volare donor parts, and the plus of the adjustable ride height is great, and it rides super!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
I'm a huge advocate for the Ford Twin I-Beam IFS.
I had not seen that before. That's VERY cool. Nice job.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:45 AM

Ifs

I have seen the Volare cross torsion bar suspension and it really rides nice. The twin I beam is very interesting and I bet it rides very good besides being very strong. Does the air bag setup cause any camber issues when inflated due to the altered ride height or is it neglible?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studebaker
Does the air bag setup cause any camber issues when inflated due to the altered ride height or is it neglible?
I have a very hot-rod-friendly alignment shop nearby that has had the '32 on their machine a couple of times and everything checks out very well according to them. I DID have a problem early on with some very strange tire wear (big scuffs across the tire but at an angle) which turned out to be the result of under rated Pete and Jakes shorty shocks.

I redid my shock mounts and put on some Cerrera QA-1 adjustable shocks and the problem has dissapeared (also improved the ride). So at 25K miles, I have to say the camber issues are negligible - although keep in mind that even the stock Twin I-Beams suffer from a bit of camber related tire wear showing up over time. It's just the nature of the design. But personally, I'm willing to replace the tires every 40-50K if I have to in order to maintain the traditional look of the front end. It doesn't make sense for EVERY car, but for late 20s and early 30s cars, I think it's a nice alternative.

Oh, and just be aware that not all Twin I-Beams are alike. Through 1979 they maintained the drop forged look (like the pictures above). 80 and 81 they started changing the shape and style - but still usable. After '81 I would say the axles are no longer usable in terms of trying to maintain the traditional straight axle look.

Just for comparison purposes, here are some '81 I-Beams that are under my roadster which incorporate coil over shocks rather than air bags:

And here are some '79 I-Beams that are under my sedan delivery which use quarter elliptical leaf springs:

Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

I'm a big fan of the Jag IFS for the big cars. They're made for the extra weight, the width is usually pretty close to perfect, and they practically bolt right in. I keep the stock power steering too (rear steer). You can pick up a mid to late 80's XJ6 for almost nothing anymore and use front and rear suspensions. Here's a link to some pics of one being installed in a '49 Merc.
http://www.geocities.com/hotrodder1938/chopper.html

Gary
Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

C-boy,
you are no doubt one of the most "excellent"* innovators around (I also hadn't ever seen the twin i-beams)

*=totally functional/relatively inexpensive and easy to build/and it does look great/and it is "different!"

any chance you could do a single thread with all the different innovations you have posted (like the $20 grill and $5 pan firewall cover)....they all really should be "someplace" in the Knowledge Base

hey, maybe we really should have a "Innovations" catagory in the Knowledge Base....because that's what Hot Rodding is all about
Old 02-28-2008, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
C-boy,
you are no doubt one of the most "excellent"* innovators around
Geesh Red, you're making me blush.

But my wife has a much more accurate term for me---"cheap sob".
Old 02-28-2008, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

cboy,
my wife disagrees.....she says you are a "thrifty smart sob" because the money you didn't spend on the suspension would go into her next home re-modeling project to buy more expensive better quality "stuff"
(like the $32 per sq ft tile I just layed in the never used guest bathroom.....$800/25sqft to walk in and take a dump!!! good grief!!!)

I figure everybody is born with atleast a small gift to do something(????) a little bit smarter or better than most.....you happened to get "alot bigger gift" for innovation than most.... your gift deserves to be recognized and respected....(now you can blush)
Old 02-28-2008, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
...my wife disagrees.....she says you are a "thrifty smart sob" because the money you didn't spend on the suspension would go into her next home re-modeling project to buy more expensive better quality "stuff"
I'm likin' your wife's way of thinking. It's just one teeny tiny step away from, "But honey, the only reason I'm building is this car is because of all the money I'm going to save and spend on YOU."

"Now I better get back out to the garage dear, so I can buy your something REALLY nice."
Old 02-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

So!! That how you do it Cboy.LOL Now you let the cat out of the bag!!!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.