What paint colors will match this interior? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 03:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What paint colors will match this interior?

I need suggestions on what colors will work with the "sea foam" green metallic interior on my '69 Corvair. The body was originally the same color (which I hate). The interior is in "mint condish", so I plan to leave it as-is.

Obviously, white or an off-white that has some green tint to it would work.
A lady friend suggested that some blues will work with green, but I'm sceptical.

What other colors would work with this interior?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 03:52 PM

Last photo:

Are you going to paint it an original factory color? If it were mine, I would unless the whole project is a custom job.

If you are going to go with a factory color, you could find out what exterior colors were offered with that color interior and choose from those.
Green and white may have been the only 2 exterior colors offered with green interior if I had to guess.

I would go with the factory white. I really like white cars with green interior.
IMHO, an off white with a slight green tint wouldn't look good. Could go with white and green pin striping to break up the white a little. I think that would look really nice.

But, this is a choice only you can make.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

Think basic neutral colors...silver, grey, black, white, and all the variants based on those. Is this a hot rod of sorts? If so, the lines of that style 'vair lend very well to metallics. Lots of sexy curves in the fender and qtr tops. Armed with that thought process and if it were mine, I'd paint it a bright silver. HOK has a nice color selection and some real fine metallics to pick from. My all time favorite silver is Ford color code 1Q found on 88-90 Lincolns, Cougars, and higher line Fords. It takes a fair amount of work to do it but it can come out looking like raw aluminum if you have the patience for it.

This is just my opinion and taste...it is afterall YOUR car.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

Corvair paint color

Thanks for the color suggestions.

I'm leaving this car stock except for a set of polished 15 inch American Racing (slotted) wheels that came off a 442. I'd like to get spinner center caps for them. They look really cool on the 'vair. The front tires don't clear the front of the wheel opening, so I'm hoping I can get a smaller profile tire that will fit.

I don't really like the factory metallics from that era ('specially the green).

I could live with white if it had wide metallic gold racing stripes on the hood/trunk.

Hadn't considered silver. Charcoal-grey/silver metallic could look cool...
Old 10-22-2005, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Could go with British racing green. It's not a metallic.
It's the medium-dark green that you see on the older Jaguar XKEs.
IMO, it's a color that doesn't really go out-of-style.

C4 Corvettes in the early to mid 90's had a color called Polo Green that was very similar to British racing green with just a tad of metallic in it. I had a '95 roadster Vette with this color and I really liked it. (Look back at my gallery and click on "other cars I have owned" to take a look at it.

Either of these would look good on your Corvair with green interior although not a stock color. However, these colors I don't think would stand out as a custom color either.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

A solid color....white, Blk or a light geen.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

I like British Racing Green. Was also thinking of a kelly green metallic with gold metallic specks, but figured it would cost too much.

I was more interested in European sports sedans in my teens. The "gas shortage" encouraged me to dump my '60 Olds Dynamic 88 (cool car!) for a '67 Beetle. It was British Racing Green with Porshe-style chrome wheels. I lowered the front-end with a select-a-drop and souped-up the motor.

Now I wish I had that '60 Olds! Sold it for $350 to a guy who totalled it. Must have been some accident. That car was built like a tank! I totalled a '68 Galaxie with it and hardly scratched the Olds.

I posted a few photos of my Chevy C10 and Corvair. The Corvair's going to spend the winter in the garage.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

Why not black? Too drastic? P.S. love the Vairs and Ck's too. Working on an '87 s/b and missed out on a '67 vair by one day.....hmmm, you got peculiar tastes.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,149 Posts
I have to tell you, there are few colors other than "versions" of the original Sea Foam that will work with that interior. Black, pain in the butt, white, ok but not too exciting. I say paint it a "jazzed up" version with modern micas and be proud of it.

One thing for sure, if you go to a Corvair meet there won't be a dozen of them.

There is another option, die (paint) the interior. Yep, you heard me, paint the interior. Most paint manufacturers have a vinyl clear additive for their mixing bank so you can mix vinyl colors. And, I am not sure of availablity but SEM had a mixing system for vinyl as well.

If done properly it works amazingly well. I did a white bucket seat black years ago and it held up perfect except for where my comb hit all the time. And if I would have prepaired it right that wouldn't even have failed. My brother had a 59 Chevy wagon with the same green interior, including that 20' long head liner. He did the WHOLE THING in black vinyl aerosol cans! Years later, you would have NEVER known. I am not kidding you, there is no way anyone would have known without pulling something apart or something.

That is an option.

Brian
Old 10-24-2005, 03:27 AM

Last photo:

Vinyl paint

Yeah, there were a lot of '69 Mustangs in the Ford version of Seafoam, but this is the only Corvair recall ever seeing in it. I guess I could live with a way better version of it. Those 60's factory metallics had no depth -- I don't know why they bothered even adding the metal flakes. It sure caused a lot of paint failures/rust.

I used that vinyl paint to paint the beige door panels on my '67 Bug black. The seats had black vinyl replacement covers, and I made a center console for the stereo and a speaker panel behind the back seat out of fiberboard covered with vinyl. Left the white headliner white, but added 3-way speakers over the doors. It looked good.

Normal wear and tear did take off some of the paint. I figured it would never do for high wear/flex items like seat covers.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.