Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   What paint to spray? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-paint-spray-231518.html)

CraigK 04-04-2013 11:00 PM

What paint to spray?

Could some one give me advise on what kind of paint I can legally buy as a
novice in Canada? Are the new water base paints available to a novice? Any tips on the new paint that you suggest would be great.

Where to buy the paint would be great also. If I can get it on line a web address would be great. Or the name of a national supplier that will sell to me.

I got the boot out of a few places here in town a while back. Pro's only.

Craig

tech69 04-04-2013 11:14 PM

I think a PPG premium clearcoat rocks and will be paying roughly $400 for mine. It holds up pretty darn good. So if you're not looking for a color that looks specifically good by one manufacturer I'd go PPG envirobase just so I can use their clearcoat.

I already have a gallon of SPI white so I will be using that under my PPG. Also got a gallon of UPOL cheap clear and will use that for the interior and dash but I recommend a good quality clear. Can't go wrong with PPG clear and I'm around showcars all day and everytime I see one done years ago and the paint looks good it always seems to be PPG. You can tell a lot about a clear when it has to be cut flat and buffed. Total different ball game then a factory peel. In other words, it needs to be perfect if cut flat and stay that way. The cheap stuff will die back and dull out and need buffing a million times til there's nothing left.

milo 04-05-2013 05:14 AM

Tools and Auto Body Supplies - Another Option paint and body supply

tell um milo sent ya... eh:thumbup:

Old Fool 04-05-2013 06:17 AM

SPI now available in Canada

Call Barry or Andy and get the 411 on how to legally buy in Canada.
Imho, the best products on the market, the best customer service of any company anywhere, and at a fair price to boot!

69 widetrack 04-05-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigK (Post 1663316)
Could some one give me advise on what kind of paint I can legally buy as a
novice in Canada? Are the new water base paints available to a novice? Any tips on the new paint that you suggest would be great.

Where to buy the paint would be great also. If I can get it on line a web address would be great. Or the name of a national supplier that will sell to me.

I got the boot out of a few places here in town a while back. Pro's only.

Craig

Trying to buy paint in Canada can be a bit of a challenge for a novice...I know Saskatchewan quite well and have a question for you. What color are you planning on painting your car? It could very well make a difference.

If your looking for Primers and an excellent clear as well I can help you out.

The reason that you may have gotten the boot from paint suppliers in Canada/Saskatchewan is that if you where looking for water born base coat, many of the manufacturer's have air pressures that are paint gun specific for application and many also require lowering the pressure to apply a drop coat when spraying metallic's. It would take a paint jobber a fair amount of time to educate you in spraying water born base coat....and could only educate you if you had the proper recommended paint gun. Water born base coat is the way of the future and like it or not, when you live in Canada, we are going to have to live with it.

So let me know, what color and where you are located in Saskatchewan and I will try and help you out.

Ray

CraigK 04-05-2013 08:15 PM

I am in Saskatoon. I am looking for blue. Slightly deeper than a medium for
53 gmc truck. While I am begging for info, and please don't freak, what is a good primer for a novice? I need something to hide my sins.

I would love to do a red but wife tells me I did the little red truck to death.
Time for a little blue truck.

69 widetrack 04-06-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigK (Post 1663506)
I am in Saskatoon. I am looking for blue. Slightly deeper than a medium for
53 gmc truck. While I am begging for info, and please don't freak, what is a good primer for a novice? I need something to hide my sins.

I would love to do a red but wife tells me I did the little red truck to death.
Time for a little blue truck.

It's OKay Craig, no body here is going to freak...pretty much everybody is here to help.

I know Saskatoon very well, from cruising 8th Street and 22nd Street street in the mid to late 70's to looking for restaurants on Idywyld, the Sheraton Cavalier across from the Besborough (I think I spelled that wrong) Hotel. The Dragons Car Show every Easter long weekend and Cruise Night in August when they block off most of Down Town for a couple of days.

For Primer, lately I've been using SPI. It's an Epoxy Primer that comes in different shades of Grey, from white to a dark Grey. It has excellent rust protection, good build and can be sanded. If your needing Primer, this is the only one you would need. They also have a clear that is as good as any high end clear on the market. The reason I asked you what color is because SPI specializes in Primers and Clears but, they do have three colors of base coat. Black, White and Red.

The products I have used from SPI have all been top notch and I would highly recommend them for quality, customer service and the price is incredible.

I'll send you a Private Message with information to get in touch with their distributor in Canada...they ship for free as well.

Check your PM box shortly for the information.

Best Regards

Ray

Old Fool 04-06-2013 07:44 AM

I buy SPI white and black epoxy primer. You can mix the 2 together for any shade of gray you want :)

69 widetrack 04-06-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Fool (Post 1663565)
I buy SPI white and black epoxy primer. You can mix the 2 together for any shade of gray you want :)

That's a great idea...Kinda like Dupont's Value Shade system...and that is a technology that has been proven over the years to help with getting the most out of a color with respect to coverage.

Me, I'm an anal SOB...and hate painting anything White, when somebody paints a vehicle white I always wonder what are they trying to hide...LOL. I prime most everything in the darkest color of primer available. The reason for that is that a dark primer gives you a better reflection to make sure that the panel is straight.

Just my personal preference and what Old Fool brought up is a great suggestion to optimize coverage of whatever shade of color your painting your vehicle.

Ray