What parts are needed for roller cam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Smile if you know Jesus

Last journal entry: Waiting for a tranny
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What parts are needed for roller cam

When I was was swapping the heads from my old 350 to another 350 for my truck, I noticed that the new block is machined and tapped for a factory roller cam.

I have already picked up a new ZZ4 take out cam (210/221, .474/.510, 112*), the spider and dogbones from ebay. I am also watching some 50K mile OEM take-out lifters.

What else is needed for the swap? I cam button? I know I'll also need a appropriate distributor gear.

Also, do the roller motors use the same length pushrods as early sbc's?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

are you saying you bought a used cam and now are trying to buy some 50K used lifters to use with it?? bad idea, don't use used lifters on anything other than the cam they were with origionaly, and then they should go back on the same lobe,, they were on,, and what is a spider and dogbones??
Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

GM timing chain kit PN 12371043 not only has sprockets and a chain, it has the camshaft retainer plate and all the necessary bolts. $50, or rip off a junkyard 305.

Pushrods for roller lifters are PN 12371041, a set of 16 for $30.

Lifter kit PN 12371042 has lifters, spider, dog-bones, and the proper spider bolts & washers. $215 if you can't wait out the used stuff.

Melonized distributor gear PN 10456413. $33.

Source: Scoggin-Dickey www.sdparts.com

Might check and make sure your rocker arms have long enough slots to handle the lift of the ZZ4 cam. The ones in stock rockers may not be long enough, so you might need some long-slot rockers.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Smile if you know Jesus

Last photo:

I know swaping lifers to lobes and lifters to cams in a flat tappet design is a no, no.

It's a new roller cam. I've heard and read that roller cams do not need to be matched with the roller lifters, since there is very little kenetic friction between the rollers and the cam. There should be very little to no wear patter between the roller and cam. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by 70bird; 04-03-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Smile if you know Jesus

Last photo:

Thanks for the part numbers. I was looking for those last week with no success. I picked up the spider, dogbones and bolts for $40 on ebay. New zz4 take-out roller cam for $135 shipped (ebay).

I added CAT 1.6:1 roller tipped rockers when I did the engine swap. My guess is that they are a longer slot type but I will definately double check.

What I am trying to find out now is how much lift the springs from my comp cams kit can take. A lobe went flat on the xtreme 4x4 flat tappit cam.

Does 1.150 in. coil bind height sound like I'll be OK?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:43 AM

Last photo:

What parts are needed for roller cam

I dont think it is a good idea to re-use used lifters.Roller lifter failure happens from continued pounding of the needle bearings,which get flattened out after time.Spend a little extra and get new lifters.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Bench racer

Last photo:

I'm with Guy on not using the ebay lifters. I've re-used roller lifters on many of my engines but they were ones that came out of one of my engines so I new the history of them. If you absolutely have to use ebay roller lifters you should take them apart and have them ultra-sonic cleaned. Don't mix the parts up, make sure everything goes back into the lifter it came from. This is a lot of work and still doesn't guarantee that they aren't damaged, just that they don't have debree from the fragged engine they came out of in them. If you don't have your own ultra sonic cleaner and do the work yourself it's practically impossible to be sure the parts won't get mixed together. This is way more work than it's worth, It really is safer to buy new ones.

As far as push rods go they are shorter on a factory roller cam engine but seeing as you're mixing and matching parts (heads, 1.6 rockers, etc.)the reliable way to KNOW what length push rod YOUR engine needs is to buy a push rod length checker and measure it as you assemble the engine and then order the exact size you need. The trick-flow checkers from summit are well made and cheap but I'm sure there are others that work well.

For the valve springs you need to contact comp cams and get the specs and then check them during install. This isn't an area to guess! Shortcuts here lead to wiped out lobes, dropped valves, and fragged engines, take the time to do it right! They have pretty good info on line if you have an idea of what part# they are or what kit they came out of.

Here is what you can get with ebay lifters. These are a set of very expensive Schubeck lifters. These appeared and were sold as new and would have gone into the engine and could have caused all kinds of trouble if the damage hadn't been noticed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lifter.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	20251  

Last edited by SlowGTA; 04-06-2007 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 AM
retired engineer /corvette rac

Last photo:

http://www.idavette.net/hib/camcon.htm

you might want to read thru this

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.