what piston for higher compression in a 351C - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

what piston for higher compression in a 351C

I have a 351C with 2V heads in a 72 gran torino. I got helpful info from the forum not too long ago about a question of using racing gas. My question is, if I stick with the 2V heads I already have, what piston do I use to achieve a 10.5:1 compression ratio? I plan on boring the cylinders .030" over. Also, the stock crankshaft and rods should be good enough for being a some what serious street bruiser and also seeing a little time on the strip shouldn't they?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Do a simple search here or google for an online c.r. calculator, figure out what you have for associated parts to calculate c.r.'s for different available pistons, flat, dished, domed.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I believe Icon makes a flat-top for the Cleveland that will get you close. I'm not at the shop today, so no catelogs. I'll look tomorrow to be certain.

I'm not sure the gains from upping to 10.5:1 would be worth the added cost and "hassle" of race gas. If you're going to run high octane fuel anyway, make it 11.5:1. We've learned, that's the "line" where wear factors start to increase significantly. Perhaps why most factory performance engines from the "old days" were left there. You will gain about 3.5-4% horsepower for every full point of increase in compression. We've also learned through necessity, "flow trumps compression". That is, a head that flows well will make more power at 9:1 than a "stock" head on the same engine at 10.5:1 (using the proper octane).

As for static compression ratio, do NOT take "published data" as gospel regarding chamber volume. You must do the actual measurements. Particluarly on engines this "old", the history of the head may not be known. If it's been milled a couple times, volume will be less than original. Also, orginal "numbers" are nominal, not necessarily exact. If your goal is to run on "pump gas" (recommmended), I would keep static ratio under 9.5:1. The large open chambers are prone to detonation. There's an Australian 2-bbl. head with "quench pads", not unlike the "good" 4-bbl. heads. Rare. Expensive. THAT head can be used to press the limit of compression with less detonation.

I don't recommend 4-bbl. heads for a street engine. Adding 4-bbl. valves to the 2-bbl. heads, combined with a nice solid lifter cam, REALLY wakes up the C. It still maintains a semblance of low-end power, so driving isn't unpleasant like the 4-bbl. heads. It will rev nicely to about 7,000. We have built several of these. Port work isn't really needed, just a good "blend" after the larger valves are installed. The Comp XS series is ideal.

The stock rods are quite good. The nodular crank is "safe" to about 7,500. If it's the least bit "edgy", grind it. Since it's cast, going .020 or .030 "under" is no big deal. Be sure the type of rod bearing you want to use is available in the undersize. I would add ARP bolts (resize the rods after installing the new bolts) and a good balance job. An SFI-approved balancer would be prudent (cheaper is NOT better, but no need for a "high end" unit).

Jim

Last edited by Mr. P-Body; 10-28-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.