What is Polyester Lacquer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 04:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What is Polyester Lacquer

My question is not regarding a car but about restoring a vintage guitar.
It has a black base paint covered with several Coats of Polyester Lacquer.
I was searching the Internet for several hours regarding paint and finally found this forum and hope somebody has an answer for me.
Where can I find Polyester Lacquer, can I use a different paint over Polyester Lacquer? What's the base Paint I should use and do I need special equipment to spray the paint?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Benjamin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Last photo:

I have never heard that term before. Polyester (resin) is generally referred to as fiberglass resin.

Vince
Old 08-14-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
I have never heard that term before. Polyester (resin) is generally referred to as fiberglass resin.

Vince
It smells exactly like polyester resin when you sand it but it's cristal clear and can be polished to a mirror like finish. I supose it's a polyester resin based paint. The guitar was produced in Europe and the name "polyester lacquer" is mentioned in a european webpage describing the guitar. Maybe there is another name used in the US.
Thanks anyway
Benjamin
Old 08-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Last photo:

I doubt it's really lacquer. Europeans typically use one word for several different meanings. It's more than likely catalyzed polyester resin.

Vince
Old 08-14-2006, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

It may be nitrocellulose lacquer. (old type common in 40-50's)
In a short, lacquer has polyester in it as does base coats. (not the fiberglass resin type)

So its referred to as acrylic or nitrocellulose lacquer.
Acrylic came out in mid to late 60's before I was born. LOL

Edit:
Sorry just got in and trying to get emails caught up.

The Brits still use the Nitrocellulose lacquer a fair amount where in the US its is rarely used unless spotting in an old Packard painted with it years ago.

I would vote you just go to auto paint store and get regular acrylic lacquer (automotive) and finish it out as it is easier to use and buff and will be more durable.

Last edited by BarryK; 08-14-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:14 AM

Link to Polyester Lacquer

Here is a link to Polyester Lacquer
http://www.pagelacquer.co.uk/products/polylacq.html
Old 07-15-2010, 09:39 PM

polyester lacquer

I know I'm late to this dance, but just in case someone is trying to figure out what polyester lacquer is, this is the skinny. Polyester Lacquer is a three part component finish used mainly on pianos and some guitars(mostly electric). The components are polyester resin, usually a proprietary mixture of pure polyester resin and styrene. The different brands have different characteristics according to the application, both during the finishing process and what the items intended use will be. The other two components are cobalt, used as an accelerator, and MEKP (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide) the liquid hardener. It is supper fast building, all of the coats are applied before the product completely sets up. That could be anywhere from 1 to 30 mils thickness. (I have actually seen a piano top that had at least a half inch thick build after polishing. The piano was flipped on it's top during delivery and the finish literally cracked like tempered glass.)
Once the finish has cured, usually around 12 to 24 hours, it must be cut and buffed. Depending on the specific type of Polyester Lacquer applied, this could be just with a wool pad and compound, or proper polishing could start with 320 grit sandpaper all the way up to 2000 grit. Polyester Lacquer, unlike Urethane in all of its forms or any other type of lacquer, dries to a very hard surface. It is akin to polishing glass, or at least it will feel like it the first time through. The advantage to the hardness is that it can be given a true mirror shine if polished correctly.
The coating is virtually insoluble, so removal is not usually an option. The product can however be over coated with just about anything once it is sanded properly for adhesion. This is just a brief overview of Polyester Lacquer, a whole book could be written on the subject. I hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:47 AM

Last photo:

So what this really is, is just a "clear polyester fiberglass resin" and not really a lacquer?

All lacquers have polyester in them by the way as do majority of the good base coats basecoats.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Yep. There is a minor difference in formulation. But basically yes. The reason they call it Lacquer is because the top or finish coat is harder than a polyester sealer. You can actually purchase an automotive Polyester Sealer from Evercoat called Featherfill. Also basecoat that is formulated with polyester in it is completely compatible with polyester topcoat. However don't go throwing fiberglass resin in your spray gun just yet. It will "kick" entirely too fast.
All cars have metal in them... but I wouldn't confuse a pinto with a corvette.

Last edited by magnashield; 07-16-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the clarification.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.