what power steering box fits a 75 granada? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014, 08:21 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

what power steering box fits a 75 granada?

Hey guys,

Anyone here knows what power steering box could be adapted to a 75 Granada? I don't mind doing lots of fabrication, I tried a F series box but it turns the wrong way and the chevy boxes have the sector gear too short to fit in the granada's cheassis.

I want a real steering box power unit, not that strange hydraulic ram and control valve that comes oem.

My brother's 75 lincoln has a box that looks like it would fit but it's kinda bulky and I bet expensive and scarce.

I found at Steering Rack and Steering Box at Wholesale Prices from Car Steering a box for a Maverick that looks like it would fit but I'm not sure, please guide me to shop for a rigth box.

thanks a lot for helping.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Mini truck?

some guys are using toyota pickup power boxes, smaller that the big car ones. The stock granada, monarch ,versaille hydralic cylinders hang too low and the hoses are easily damaged on speed bumps. ON a Stock height car.
The granada suspension is similat to the 65 mustang and they sell rack & pinion kits for those cars, I don't know how close the dimensions are.

Last edited by timothale; 02-27-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:13 PM

Toyota.. that sounds interesting, I was focused on detroit iron parts only, thanks for the tip.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Agusto - with your fab skills, I would be looking for a rack and pinion rather then a sloppy gear and sector or recirculating ball box. Just remember that vintage Granada is really a pretty hefty car, especially in the front and choose whatever you use accordingly.

Dave W
Old 02-28-2014, 05:58 AM

My first tough was a rack and pinion but the oil pan of the big 300 motor leaves no room for one, at least not for a power unit. I've seen the kits for the early mustangs that have nearly the same dimensions but sadly I have no room for one, I even toght of using a flat oil pan with an external oil pump but that is too much for this car.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:29 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

ford van ?

Have you looked for an oil pan out of a Ford VAn. When I have done Ford 460 swaps I have had to use the Van oilpan, pickup and mounting stud. .
Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 AM

My motor actually came off a E350 van, the problem is that the oil pump is right over the crossmember, I reversed the bottom of the pump, extended the pickup tube to the front and flatened the rear as much as possible, but still little room was left, just enough for the crosslink of the steering, it even sligthly rubs the pan when is fully turned left which annoys me, definitely no room for a power rack, this is why I'm after a power box.

The problem is that ford uses a rear steering mechanism and most other manufactures use front steering systems, I have tought of swapping the spindles to something like chevy units to use a more conventional steering system, but that involves lots of time and money which I have neither these days

Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
My motor actually came off a E350 van, the problem is that the oil pump is right over the crossmember, I reversed the bottom of the pump, extended the pickup tube to the front and flatened the rear as much as possible, but still little room was left, just enough for the crosslink of the steering, it even sligthly rubs the pan when is fully turned left which annoys me, definitely no room for a power rack, this is why I'm after a power box.

The problem is that ford uses a rear steering mechanism and most other manufactures use front steering systems, I have tought of swapping the spindles to something like chevy units to use a more conventional steering system, but that involves lots of time and money which I have neither these days

My '31 uses a Dodge Omni R&P and rear steer. It's quite narrow, but other Chrysler products might have a wider rear steer and for a bit heavier car - I just don't get into MoPar products for anything else, so really don't know much about their other cars

This is what that Omni R&P look like:

Dave W
Old 03-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Dave, searching the web I just found that Borgeson has a box that does exactly what I want, a bit pricey but is direc bolt on fit. Seems like it's worth paying for it. They also have conversion kits for all the fords that use that stupid ram power assist.
Thanks a lot for helping.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
Dave, searching the web I just found that Borgeson has a box that does exactly what I want, a bit pricey but is direc bolt on fit. Seems like it's worth paying for it. They also have conversion kits for all the fords that use that stupid ram power assist.
Thanks a lot for helping.
Now, I am embarrassed!!! I just got a new Borgeson catalog along with 2 pieces of stainless shafting to replace the painted carbon steel - and never even thought to look there. Good company to work with - I generally chat with them at a couple shows each year. Let us know how you make out

Dave W

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.