What primer / sealer to use under base coat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Nostalgic Racing Decals

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What primer / sealer to use under base coat

I am wondering what primer / sealer to use before I apply a base coat / clear coat.

Should I just use whatever the rep tells me to use for the brand of paint I will be using?

I have been to two different automotive paint wholesalers and they were not to helpful so far.

I have even thought of just ordering from Eastwood and trying their products.

One rep told me to use Montana products and the other one said to use Matrix products.

The problem I am having to that the guy who shot my truck four years ago is now serving about 20 years in jail for something he did and I think he used Matrix paint but I am really not sure. He did a nice job.

Another question is what size compressor should I use with an HVLP gun since I am not painting the entire truck but just the rood area.

Thanks for your advice and help. Jimbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

You should use epoxy primer/sealer. SPI is a good sealer and when reduced up to 50% with appropriate reducer it will lay out smooth. You only need one coat before spraying base/clear. Make sure you give a nice wet coat.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

sealer

mitmaks is right on the money. I always seal my 2k with wet coat of epoxy primer. I use to use DP40 until I tried SPI. I'm not knocking the PPG primer but SPI flows out better and costs less.

regards

Ron
Old 07-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

On EDP panels (black primer on aftermarket panels) I scotch brite/320 scratches and shoot 2 coats of SPI and then wetsand it and shoot another coat to seal it and it's ready for paint.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

If your just shooting over existing paint theres no need for a sealer.just sand with 320 and shoot it...if you have some primer spots just shoot the spots once or twice (with paint) to get everything the same color before you start shooting the rest...but epoxy IS the best sealer to use if you choose to seal it....

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.