What is a Pro Street Car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 PM
The Dude

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What is a Pro Street Car

I have heard the term a lot at car shows, drag races, etc. However I still really don't know what a Pro Street Car is. I have been told a 1000 different answers to what pro street is. I have been told by some Pro Street is a type of show car that is suppose to be a Pro Stock car for the road. Others said it was a Drag Racing class started in the late 80's but the cars got to fast were they look more like Pro Mod cars running pump gas now (which is NMCA Pro Street Class) however the show car people say thats wrong and the NMCA racers say the show car people are wrong. I have been told by others it was something Hot Rod Magazine started with their "Fastest Street Car Shootout" and it evolved into the other 2 I mentioned earlier and people around my age (19-20) think Pro Street cars are the cars from the video game Need for Speed: Pro Street.

What exactly is Pro Street? Is it like the Modern day version of Gassers to broad to define?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

when i think "pro street" i'm thinking of a street legal car that was built for, and looks like, a drag car
this is kind of the 80's theme i grew up with
Old 05-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

When the name surfaced, the first major difference I saw in all Pro Street magazine features, was giant tires completely under the fenders! Obviously they had good power too.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

So I guess Pro Street is a very Broad term then.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

ProStreet cars were designed to look like early ProStock cars, but for street use. Large tires tucked inside the fenders, roll cages, blowers or tunnel rams thru the hood. Many had the looks only, but some actually built them with major power under the hood. If you can round up some late 70's early 80's CarCraft and HotRod magazines you will see plenty of examples.
The racing classes and games came later.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:56 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrStrtracer
ProStreet cars were designed to look like early ProStock cars, but for street use. Large tires tucked inside the fenders, roll cages, blowers or tunnel rams thru the hood. Many had the looks only, but some actually built them with major power under the hood. If you can round up some late 70's early 80's CarCraft and HotRod magazines you will see plenty of examples.
The racing classes and games came later.
So in the 80's it was more of a Street Show style but in the 90's Hot Rod Magazine and the NMCA decided to make it a drag racing class.

The one thing I learned at car shows you can easily start an argument between car owners by just asking what Pro Street is. It actually kind of funny to see grown 40+ year old men arguing like 10 year olds.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

There was no argument about car terms in the '60s, '70s, and '80s... or between the 50-70 year olds who vividly remember those times. The magazines were often discussing terminology, and most people had a clear understanding of it. I will also guarantee you that there was no NHRA Pro Street class when the term surfaced... and I don't recall seeing one since... until you mention that one with a smaller organization.

What that term seemed to represent, at the time it was created, was a "street car imitation" of the way pro drag racing cars were evolving, with increasing tire sizes, and lowered stance. Pro Stock would be a very good comparison, since the body styles would be similar.

Today's builders seem to take exception to almost every term that was firmly established then... rejecting it, and each individual insisting on his own interpretation. It's kind of a sad waste of time, only causing confusion and irritation for all involved.

If you stuff big tires completely under the back of the car, the old-timers like me... (I've followed the car hobby religiously from '58 until today, collecting and reading over 6000 magazines cover-to-cover).... we will think... "That's a proStreeter fer sure!" :-)
Old 05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

Alright Thank you
Old 05-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Here's an example, back half, roll cage, 4-link on the street.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_3dc6cc1d3c6443f1b6a3cd6d3a035b69.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	55663   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7270002.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	667.2 KB
ID:	55665   Click image for larger version

Name:	l_0b3ba164067c4ca4ba9037f68bb068ba.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	55666  

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 05-29-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I think that a large part of the pro-street movement came along with the death of the muscle cars and older metal getting hard to find. 80's cars were easy and cheap to find, but they were dogs. You could make H.P. but had no room for tires, bodies were unibodies, it was a case of working with what was available. And like one of the guys said about the worlds fastest street cars, when that came out, it stirred a hornets nest of activity until it came down to who had the most money to throw at the cars and, IMO, ruined the fun. I looked forward in those days to see what kind of creativity was used to go fast, it was crazy. Car Magazines motivated many car guys when the hobby was struggling, it did beat the heqq out of vans and cartoon cars.

Big toys for big boys.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:03 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

What I remember about the first Pro street cars was also cars emulating the look of pro stock race cars. They quickly morphed into some worthless turd trailer queens that could barely make a pass around the fairgrounds without overheating. That's what I remember. Nowdays they are a more useful vehicle. I still don''t care for them much, kind of a poser car.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:53 AM
Blown 502

Last photo:

Prostreet - Pro Street is a style of street-legal custom car, usually built for drag racing. Cars of this type typically feature a narrowed rear axle coupled with oversized rear wheels for maximum grip, and large capacity V8 engines, often supercharged.

Found that definition on the web and it works for me.
AMOF being 5 out of my last 6 vehicles have been supercharged there's a good chance my Prostreet Nova will be in time
Old 05-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Blown 502

Last photo:

Ok I admit it I cant shut up and now I have to give you my version because I believe it's the reason a lot of people go Prostreet. I'll use me for an example (I'm 51 and on my 45th or so Hi Performance Vehicle, it's all I think about)

I recently sold this 717 RWHP Supercharged Terminator

Right before that I sold The Worlds Fastest Street Lightning (9.742 @ 138.76)
780 RWHP on it's Kill Tune with over 900 lb lbs of TQ

Before that it was another 600+ RWHP Lightning

There was also a 96 Cobra, 08 SRT8 Super Jeep 420/420, and my Procharged 99 GT Convertible

(that is just the last 9 - 10 years)

The problem with all of them is --> YOU CANT ENJOY THEM ON THE STREET <--
Everyone of those Bad Boys (besides the 4wd jeep) would go sideways even at parkway speed if you jumped on it. (No matter what DR you ran). Hell I had 14 Rims and tires for my 00 Lightning trying to find something that would hook but nothing did.

Then add the biggest change which is for a guy like me living in Long Island NY and you watched each and every 1320 get taken away from you. And now there is none....

So basically your stuck with all this power no track anywhere close by and it dont hook worth a chit on the street. Add to that you get a little older and you just cant up and leave the state anytime you want to get on your car.
And what is one to do, give up their life long hobby ???

HELL NO
You get yourself something you can drive ANYTIME you want, that is set up for Drag Racing, BUT is street legal.

HENCE PROSTREET, to me there is nothing better out there....

Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

willowbilly3 how is pro street a poser car?

To Rob thats a nice Nova!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXrider13
willowbilly3 how is pro street a poser car?

!
Quite a few early "ProStreet" cars were not capable of running even in the 13 sec ET range, therefore, Poser. But you better know what youre looking at before calling someone a Poser, some of these cars today are race cars with license plates.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.