Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What are the pros and cons of Vortec heads?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have vortec heads on the engine I just built but haven`t dropped in yet, Still have to get finished rewiring the car and doing some painting, weather got back cold on me so things are stalled. I don`t worry about 220 degree temps, my sisters 98 tahoe runs this temp with vortec heads with no problems, but we have a set that was run 260 and there cracked. unusual part about the cracked vortec heads we have are they have "hencho en mexico" stamped on them so they were made in mexico, haven`t seen another like them, the date code also says "D 6 4" april 6th, but I`m thinking the 4 is 2004, since as far as I know the vortec heads weren`t released until 1996. I didn`t know GM was casting the replacement heads in mexico, but it don`t surprise me either. For my engine I`ve got a new aluminum water pump, thermo clutch fan, new 180 high flow thermostat, radiators new, hoses are new, I`m doing everything I can to keep them below the 190 temp mark just to keep it on the safe side, as BOBCRMAN said to me "keep them cool!!!"