what qjet to buy? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 01:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what qjet to buy?

Well, you members may recall my carb. boiling problem on my 56 chev. 283.
I guess I need to get rid of my edelbrock carb. after all the things I have done to try to correct my possible boiling problem. A cpuple members said I would be better off dumping my aluminum carb. Iam leaning towards a Qjet. as I was told the ole Qjet was about as good as a person could get that wants good gas mileage from a carb. My question is what to look for that I can rebuild in a Qjet? Someone has one here in my area, however he says it is off a BB chev. such as a 454, and I was told by another person that the idle circuits etc. would not be good for my gas mileage qwest. So should I be looking for one off a SB chev. and what carb. numbers fit in that catagory?
Example 17053296 etc? Any help and tips apreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Quadrajets came on the base 6 cylinders to 500 cubic inch caddy monsters.
With any carb, calibration to the combo is important. I am curious about the idle circuit and bad fuel economy as the only time the idle circuit is in use is when the engine is at idle. If the carb came off a 454 it can be tuned to a smaller engine without issue.
As for your edelbrock carb what gasket are you using between it and the intake?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

NOTHING FROM AUTO ZONE
Here is where I got mine from. Call the man up and talk to him.
http://www.smicarburetor.com/
Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

All you need to do is get the carb body temp under control.

GET A WOODEN CARB SPACER,....MADE OUT OF WOOD!.

Edelbrock sells WOOD carb spacers.

The performer manifold will run too hot and overheat the carb Unless you get a WOOD carb spacer and block off or restrict the exhaust heat riser passages at the intake manifold gasket.

open heat riser passages ='s a very hot manifold plenum and carb body especially on the performer manifold.

Two simple sheet metal shim plates wedged between the intake gasket and cylinder head will cure this.

You will have to do both these heat control mods to get a Qjet right also so.
just fix the edelbrock carb body heat control issue.

Fuel lines must be routed away from heat sources.

The best heat insolator-isolator carb spacers are made of WOOD. get one.

Why spend $300 on a simple $20 problem?

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-24-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for reply. I was told by this so called qjet know all that the idle and other circuitry was made larger, and on my SB 283 it would not idle and stumble alot. I was always under the impression that you could change rods and jets and mabye fioat adjustments on anyone of the qjets and make it a 500 or a 750 ?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the reply f-bird and double vision. I have a 1 inch, looks like chrome spcaer with a bakelite or ceramic insert in it. Also, I have the exhaust crossover blocked off on intake with the blockoff intake gasket. PS, I live at 5300 ft. elev. and in winter outside temps under 50 degrees. also my gas lines are heat shielded and away for engine and exhaust Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Check out the picture of this gasket set, the same ones by Mr.Gasket are sold at Autozone & O'Reillys. Notice dead center you will see two squares with a circle in them,these are the metal heat passage block offs that you should have installed.Also part of your problem with the Edelbrock may be high fuel pressure it should be only 4.5-5.5 P.S.I. max,have you checked that? Also try this first,move the linkage on the accelerator pump on the Edelbrock to the top hole and see what that does,in many cases it will cure a stumble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101g-500x500.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	63355  

Last edited by JeffB; 02-24-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Hi. The gaskets I got from Oreilly had the crossover intake/head holes blocked, and I did not get those square pieces with circles in gasket kit, however I dont recall for sure, but I believe there was not any holes in gasket at the center which would need plugging off? I have a fuel regulator in line set at 5 psi. Also I called napa, autozone and oreilly and could not seem to be able to order the Edelbrock wood 1" spacer #8720 that is on edelbrock site.
I had seen awhile ago that a member said he had made a wooden spacer out of laminated plywood, anyone have info on this, such as plywood or 3/4" OSB
etc? Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

You are in Arizona. You have no concept what cold is.... Ha hA.

Worst case block one side and runs a 3/8" hole in the other side of the gasket.
Any of those store can get you the right edelbrock wood carb spacer.
Any of them can order edelbrock service parts. Yes you can make your own wood carb spacer. Pretty much any wood that won't fall apart is all good. You want a divided style or 4 hole, not open plenum.
1/2" is good enough.
Then rejet the carb ( pri metering rods and jets.) A afr gauge will help you find the correct tune.
Rejeting a carb does not change the cfm rating.

edelbrock #8725

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-24-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

I am also in the process of blocking off the heat passages also. They are open on my engine since at the time it was installed it needed the egr. Long story short if you still need the heat passage I got a great Idea from Grumpyvette to only block of one side. This should reduce temps , but blocking off both sides would be best if you dont need the heat crossover for some thing like the egr or cold winters.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by db flyer
Thanks for reply. I was told by this so called qjet know all that the idle and other circuitry was made larger, and on my SB 283 it would not idle and stumble alot I was always under the impression that you could change rods and jets and mabye fioat adjustments on anyone of the qjets and make it a 500 or a 750 ?

Whoever told you this was in error. While some Qjets are capable of flowing up to 800 cfm, almost all of them can do up to 750, with as low as 300. The are an on-demand carb. With the correct rods and hangers, ect, you can tune almost any Qjet to work an almost any engine. When done correctly, they can meter nearly as well as fuel injection on the primary side (read: economy), while providing all the cfm you can use on the secondary side. I have rebuilt literally hundreds of them, most for stock re-use, with a few for performance builds, and they will work with almost any engine combo. I have even seen them on 4 cyl iron dukes.

All that said, Fbird's advice is good. Get or make a 4 hole plywood spacer, and try that first. Cheap or free is good, and if it does not make you happy, you won't be out much.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

thanks for reply. I have 2 questions. Ihave a edelbrock performer spread bore intake with a 1406 edelbrock carb. with a square spacer and gaskets which edelbrock said to use on this intake/carb. combo. I noticed you said make or buy a 4 hole wood spacer, so I wonder about the 4 hole spacer/gaskets.
Also if I wind up going to a Qjet and change rods and hangers, what do you mean by hangers, and how about the jets? Thanks
Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

Here's your spacer http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-8720/ It is common knowledge that Edelbrock and Holley parts are EZ to find,not so with Quadrajet parts and for the novice rebuilding a Quadrajet carb it can be frustrating to say the least and should be done by someone experienced and with parts availability.You folks that do rebuild them may want to offer your services via a pm to those that really want one,there is a reason scores of Quadrajets are on ebay and at swap meets and nobody wants them no matter if they sell around $20 to $25 all day long.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.