What qualifies as "Rat Rod"? Only cars from 20's and 30's? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What qualifies as "Rat Rod"? Only cars from 20's and 30's?

Every time I am watching some show on Speed or anywhere else, and they mention Rat Rods, the cars they always show are mostly like Ford model T's and A's, and other cars from the 20's and 30's. Almost all open top.

But do later model cars like from the 50's through 70's qualify as a Rat Rod if they are built fairly roughly in a non-shiny, non-chrome, non-bright style? Or are they just called "cheap"?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

People may say different, But I would think you can make just about anything a rat rod.... It's all about making it ratty..
Old 08-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

Rat Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
People may say different, But I would think you can make just about anything a rat rod.... It's all about making it ratty..
Randy's right they don't have to be cars from the 20's or 30'.
IMO most of these T.V. shows don't know what they are talking about to start with.
I might not be right, but I learned cars up to 1948 were Hot Rods, Then they changed the name to Street Rods, as Hot Rods made it sound too hell raiser like, and we were trying to get the cops off our butts. Long story made short.
Cars from 1949 to 1959 were customs, that has change and the years go up more now. then there were the muscle cars. This is how our club looks at it, we let everyone join, but we do have our big show limited to 64 because of room.

Others may look at it different. Rat Rod are cars that I think they wanted to look like old skool Hot Rods but they never did, again I could be wrong on that. Just because they are in primer does not make them a Rat Rod, they are just parts put on a car to make it look like the owner wants, Funk Art for lack of a better term. Some are just thrown together IMO. others are built safe, some by well known builders. To me it is just a fade.

Bob
Old 08-06-2011, 02:28 PM

Last journal entry: rigor-mortis of the suspension.
Last photo:

rat rods seem to be unfinished. like a lot of stuff is missing. yet they still run fine. such as all metal seats. primer on body sections... things such as that. normally.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

Rat Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil red s10
rat rods seem to be unfinished. like a lot of stuff is missing. yet they still run fine. such as all metal seats. primer on body sections... things such as that. normally.
That's is how they want them to look, different, out of the main stream. Everyone somewhere in their " being " would like to be noticed, Car guys are no different. Everyone whats to have something a little different than Joe down the street. Every car is a work of art to the person that builds it or has it built. Most guys are more main stream on their builds, the Street Rods are made to feel like a new car look like an old car, You have varying degrees of looks from the resto-rod, to the very smooth look.

Customs are built to what the owner thinks they should have built the car, or how he wants the car to look. Muscle cars the body is pretty close to stock, maybe some chrome removed or S/S trim but basically a stock car with a big engine.

Rat Rods are what ever someone can find in the junk yard or junk pile, and it is fit onto the car. many are not driven very far as they are not the best riding most comfortable cars on the road, I might get some flack for that.
They don't have chrome and paint, again I think it is a cult kind of thing, a fade. Again just my opinion.

Bob
Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I bet my '65 would be considered a rat rod by some because it's "unfinished" in appearance. I would just consider it a rod or souped or whatever you want to say. I don't have a tall gear shift and skulls, and iron crosses and spider webs and all that fake 50's greaser imagery tacked all over it. Not my cup of tea. I just care about going fast and having fun. To me, appearance is second to performance, but not forgotten. I'll lay some paint on it eventually, but for now I just want to enjoy it. I don't care to make a counter-cultural statement, nor am I concerned with being criticized for not having shiny paint and perfect body work.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

Rat Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7
I bet my '65 would be considered a rat rod by some because it's "unfinished" in appearance. I would just consider it a rod or souped or whatever you want to say. I don't have a tall gear shift and skulls, and iron crosses and spider webs and all that fake 50's greaser imagery tacked all over it. Not my cup of tea. I just care about going fast and having fun. To me, appearance is second to performance, but not forgotten. I'll lay some paint on it eventually, but for now I just want to enjoy it. I don't care to make a counter-cultural statement, nor am I concerned with being criticized for not having shiny paint and perfect body work.
IMO without seeing it, I would say it's not a Rat Rod, anymore than my 46 is, or my 33 is.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front end valley grille 2.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	57385   Click image for larger version

Name:	side veiw 33.2JPG.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	57386   Click image for larger version

Name:	46Ford.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	57387  

Last edited by 35terraplane; 08-06-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-06-2011, 06:01 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
IMO without seeing it, I would say it's not a Rat Rod, anymore than my 46 is, or my 33 is.

Bob
We're definitely on the same page then I guess it's frustrating to just be lumped in with the "hepcats" that do it for image by people that don't know the difference.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 PM

Rat Rod

A Rat Rod is usually a vehicle put together with salvage yard parts and very little new parts with very little chrome, unpainted or only painted with black primer and red wheels.

In 1961-65 my high school friend and I had a '23 Ford steel T-bucket roadster with a 4' fiberglass truck bed. It was what would be called a "rat rod" today. We originally installed a 1959 Pontiac 389 CI Tri-Power engine and year later we replaced it with a 301 CI SB Chevy and used the same 3-2 barrel carburators on a Offenhauser manifold. It was primered and had a painted frame, front suspension, 3" dropped axle, drum brakes and a '40 Ford 4.11 Columbia overdrive rear end. When we replaced the Pontiac engine, we put a B-W 4-speed in it but we could not use 1st gear because the rod was too light. We drove the T-bucket truck without a windshield for a year and we never had a top and never heard of "seat belts." In 1962, windshield posts and frames for the T-bucket were not yet being produced but we finally got some from Babbs Automotive in 1963. Naturally, we were "King of The Street" with that T-bucket and could not be beaten, even by a new 409/409 Chevy Impala. We sold the car in 1965 and I think it is still running around in the same area today. I am sure the motor has been rebuilt several times and improvements have been made. I still remember burning my left leg on the hot side pipe before I learned how to open the door and get out of it. It was scary ride because I could see 2" of daylight under the front wheel when I punched it at 80 MPH.

Personally, I think it was a death trap.

Last edited by MouseFink; 08-06-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink
It was scary ride because I could see 2" of daylight under the front wheel when I punched it at 80 MPH.

Personally, I think it was a death trap.

I have to say..
As long as I been building cars...
I have never seen a car that was that light on the back end, Lift the wheels at 80mph...
Old 08-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

How bout a 2010 camaro rat?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:36 PM

Last journal entry: rigor-mortis of the suspension.
Last photo:

seems that rat rods are basic... and cover the basics... if it's not needed.. why have it?? the "unfinished" look... or budget builds... you dont need the 3,000 dollar paint job to run 12s at the track.... you dont need the racing seats with embroidery in it to express yourself.

2010 camaro rat rod?? would have to take some parts off it!! lol
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

This gets beat to death every time the subject comes up. The tern defies any carved in stone definition.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

This title needs a wiki spot, talk about a worn out thought, the term pretty much sums up the subject RAT, nothing else to say. Someone likes rats, fine, not gong to say wow nice rat you got there. I am always amazed at anyone that drives those things and struts around like the are the coolest thing since ice cubes.
Whatever blows your skirt up, but stop trying to convince others that a rat must be accepted as a legitimate Hotrod it just is not. Hope I did not destroy anyones delicate self esteem, but for clarity I do not give a flying about your self esteem.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Well, The ORKIN commercial on TV has a perfect example of a rat rod, complete with rats driving, pretty kool. LMAO

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.