Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What rear end gear ratio to choose?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 03:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What rear end gear ratio to choose?

Hi, I own a '68 Malibu with a modified 396. With the move to a big block making horsepower somewhere north of 400, I need to address the next weak link, the rear end. I have a 12 bolt that I intend to rebuild and am in a quandry as to the best ratio to choose. Really, this is a daily driver..........5 days a week to work, 5 miles one way. And though this is way more car than is appropriate for commuting.......it's a ton 'o fun. I will probably never race the vehicle, but I do like being quick off the line. The current recommendation from my friends is a 3:73 posi, which should give me a lot better launch than the 3.08 10 bolt I'm currently running. I really don't intend to use this car for the highway, it's for the city. One thing I'm struggling with is the 2400 stall converter that was installed with the 396..........although I'm starting to get the hang of it, the way the torque converter slips in city driving is irritating. I've been told the 3.73 will improve this circumstance. Thoughts? Thanks.