Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What rear end gear ratio to choose?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

re:What rear end gear ratio to choose?

OK, this is my first experience with a torque converter of this type (as opposed to a "factory standard", which I understand is in the 900 to 1200 range) so I'm pretty ignorant here, but my simple understanding is that the way the torque converter works is that the converter doesn't lock up or fully engage the engine with the transmission until it reaches the designated stall rpm (in this case 2400 RPM). So it seems like a 5000 RPM stall speed converter would create more opportunity for slippage at a low RPM or more of a tendency to have to run the RPMs up to simply move the car? My understanding was that a 5000 stall speed converter was more appropriate for a drag car rather than a street car. In other words, rather than having to really rev the car up in order to hook up the drive train, I want to apply torque sooner rather than later and I think a 5000 converter is going in the wrong direction..............does that sound correct? But you're correct about making sure that my choice of a rear end ratio works for the highway. I need to figure out what my RPMs will be a 70 or 75. I really appreciate the input!