what rings do I need for spraying NOS occasionally - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 07:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what rings do I need for spraying NOS occasionally

I buying rings in like 2 clicks of the mouse..... NOW but I don't know what kind I shouls get to run a 100-150 shot of NOS occassionally???
cast, moly, file fit, plasma????????? speed pro is the brand IM using

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

thats not a huge shot any will work just make sure your u set your ring gaps accordingly
Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonde
I buying rings in like 2 clicks of the mouse..... NOW but I don't know what kind I shouls get to run a 100-150 shot of NOS occassionally???
cast, moly, file fit, plasma????????? speed pro is the brand IM using
This depends on what you are using this "engine" for. Is it a daily driver, with an occasional Friday/Saturday night out? What engine is it, and what is it going in?

You should be more concerned about the pistons. They should be forged if possible.

Another concern is the ignition timing. This should 'retard' close to 10 degrees when you push the button. This percentage varies, depending on the application your are using it in, and what for.

Forget 'cast' rings. I would use Plasma/Molly rings. You will also need to "file" fit any ring set. The top and second ring will need to opened up between .002-.003 per inch of bore diameter, from the manufactures spec's.

Is there any other information you can give, to help narrow this down a bit?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:38 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

I think it's more important to buy quality forged pistons, then to wonder about the rings. If your only using the N2O occationally then go with a quality ring package that the piston maker suggest. On engines that run more N2O, the end gap must be opened up, the ring maker usually has a chart to go buy. Just remember, quality parts always net quality results.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

pistons

Yea I agree forged would be better but coated hyper's will work just fine as long ase the system is set up right.
The base plan is to run a wet system with a seperate feul cell with 110 octane in it and 93 in the regualar tank, No piggy backing!!!! running 32-34* locked then prolly 24-26* on the juice. I have a local guy that does nothing but tune carbs and NOS systems on chassis and engine dyno's. He's gonna chassis dyno it and set/tune everything for my set up for $350.
He has done hundreds of cars with hyper pistons spraying 250 out of the hole and 250 down the track, And he hasn't had any come back yet.

As long as I don't get any detonation or create lean condition and retard the advance porperly it'll be fine for no more than I'm spraying..... heck I've watched some of the cars hes done at the local 1/8 mile track spray 200 with cast pistons so I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff.... I wouldn't believe it either till i seen it with my own eyes!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.