What shoud I start with first? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What shoud I start with first?

I just got a 91 chevy s10 4.3liter v6 and i want to know what i should start with first to making it an everyday driver but with plenty of power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

What's your budget, how much is plenty of power? What will the truck be used for, DD, race, both? Are you considering a motor swap or working on the original?

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Few hundred dollars, And mostly DD and street racing here an there ya know. I wanna stick with the stock engine. And i want horsepower
Old 07-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10boy101 View Post
Few hundred dollars, And mostly DD and street racing here an there ya know. I wanna stick with the stock engine. And i want horsepower
sounds like a contradiction

you can make more hp and in the long run cheaper with an engine swap

this is if you're looking for performance that is

Last edited by xzero117; 07-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 PM

street racing?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

A 4.3 and HP don't correlate...
Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10boy101 View Post
What shoud I start with first?
Well, to be honest, you should start with building your budget. You'll not get any "noticeable" power increase in a 4.3 for a few hundred bucks.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

turbo or supercharge it or Nitrous.

There arent a lot of off the shelf performance parts for the 4.3L which is kind of a shame. Cheapest way to get going is with Nitrous. NOW (please read this part before your mom comes on here and picks a fight with me) Its probably illegal where you live to drive around with a nitrous bottle hooked up in the bed. Also, the learning curve with N2O (don't say nawss, it makes you sound like an asshat and a fanboy) is extremely steep. You'll probably hammer that 4.3 to death quickly, so plan on a rebuild, or a new shortblock entirely, before you get up to speed.

Supercharger/Turbocharger

A little more complicated and expensive to install; certainly possible. This will overcome the 4.3s biggest weakness which is the lack of good heads available. However, you'll probably hav to get into tuning your own computer (Megasquirt comes to mind, unless you can get a syclone/typhoon ecm).

Want the real secret to going faster? A basic tuneup, 2.25" exhaust, have the transmission gone through and refurbished (either you or someone else) and (heres the secret) put 4.10s in the back of that truck. Its the single best thing you can do to make it quicker.

Street racing is for kids who watch too many movies these days...take it to the track, run brackets, kick ***.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

The 2nd half of this article is something you could do, assuming 2wd S10. Never mind the ridonkulous motor they have (I really wish there was a write up on it though). If you did (most of) this to your truck; it would flat our terrorize the 'hood. Save your pennies and dump a V8 in it and throw some fiberglass fenders on it while your at it
2001 Chevrolet S-10 - Featured Vehicles - Hot Rod Magazine

Last edited by AutoGear; 07-16-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
don't say nawss, it makes you sound like an asshat and a fanboy
Street racing is for kids who watch too many movies these days...take it to the track, run brackets, kick ***.
lmfao that first comment is hilarious.

A little personal experience of a buddy that got caught "street racing". Had a third gen aluminum headed 383 dual quads, 9", 6 speed, the works... He had to have some sick money into this car. He had been building it for 5+ years. Well one day he got into a little street race with a mustang.. nothing serious just a quick little jump between lights. Well the cop that pulled him over didn't find it so amusing. They impounded his car and he couldn't afford to pay the impound fees so his car went up for auction. Just a little thing to think about. idk where you are from but by me its $13 to race all night at the local track.

The numbers sure make sense to me. Just something to think about when you go talking on the internet about street racing.

oh yeah... x2 on the engine swap. There is an entire website dedicated to swapping a V8 into an s10. and if you want to keep the v6 I wouldn't really consider anything but a turbo. There are some cool youtube videos of some sick turbo charged 4.3s.
The Following User Says Thank You to zildjian4life218 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

I try to make it fun. In all honesty, a very close friend of mine died some 11 or 12 years ago now. His car was fast, teched legal and he never went street racing with a passenger. The guy in the other lane had a piece of junk with a big motor in it (that probably wouldn't have passed tech); something in the front suspension of the junker G body let go after the launch; car deadhooked right and plowed into my friends driverside door. Wasn't a hard hit, but he smashed his head just the same and never woke up. If he had woken Up, he woulda been in a diaper for the rest of his Life.

Putting a posi and 4.10s in the back of the OPs truck won't hurt anything but mileage, and with the OD, he'll still get around okay. Keep it around 65 on the highway. 4.10s aren't for marathons, they're for sprints. If your truck stays around long enough; grab an LT1 from a Camaro, Vette or Caprice; with the trans. Thats an easy 300hp with the right factory parts; and it'll pass emissions and be daily driver street friendly. Same goes for the LS motors.

Or get a 2nd 4.3 motor and a turbo...it worked for the grand nationals (3.8L) and the Syclone/Typhoon.

For right now; get some good brakes; a ZR2 swaybar, some springs and learn to keep it going to get to work on time.

Last edited by AutoGear; 07-16-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the helpful tips, Although a 4.3 turbocharged would be rad but theres nothing on the internet for kits or anything, So ill Probably go towards a 383 or LS1
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

Crap Im 30 and just wanted to yell 'Lazy Kids!'

If you buy a kit, you're paying for someone else to do your homework, and trusting that they actually cared enough to do it right. This isn't rocket science. Theres plenty of 'junkyard turbo' information out there (I was on the old yahoo group ages ago called junkyardturbo).

I'll help. Start by researching the factory turbo trucks Syclone and Typhoon. By the way, Im sure with 6 trillion S10s out there...someones already done this and posted on a forum, so ask him for help (S10Planet still around?). Most of us guys are pretty happy to help someone else.

Collect all your parts, 1 at a time and when you're ready, recruit some buddies to help. The tuning may be an issue. It seems to take longer to sort out tuning that anything else. Yes its a project; a BIG one, but its not insurmountable. You're probably looking at 3-6 grand assuming you're somewhat handy.

If it was me; I would rear mount the turbo system; and use Sy/Ty exhaust manifolds, factory computer, heads and intake. It wont be cheap; but it'll look factory, work awesome and you'll be the only dude on your block rocking one. Keep the truck stock until you have everything. Learn to weld, do bodywork, fix up your interior and expect the installation to take at least 3-6 months for a beginner. You've gotta really want this because its a serious piece of work; and the resale value won't be nearly what you put into the time and effort, let alone the parts.

This is way more than most people want to do. I spent 3 years putting a 2nd gen camaro together and then sold it to go to college. These were still cheap cars then (1999/2000) and I got $6500 for it. I bought it for 3000 and had another 3 into it easily BEFORE the motor and trans. Not to mention I had no social life aside from working on the car with my old man for 3 years.
Was it worth it? Absolutely. But I had car parts in every room of my parents house and swore off friends and girls in order to finish the car.

If you aren't wired that way (most aren't); just get it running nice, fix it up and learn the skills needed to build something better when your budget allows. Throw some new paint on it and some rims and enjoy it.

Tags
4.3, s10

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.