Hot Rod Forum banner

What should I check? Looking at a 1992 454....

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  31fordcoupe 
#1 ·
There is a guy that lives in my area that is selling a 1992 454 big block Chevy out of a Suburban. The motor has about 142,000 miles on it. It is running in the suburban and the owner "says" it is in good shape. I am going to look at it this weekend.

Other then pulling the plugs and checking them, checking the oil and oil pressure and listening to the thing run / driving it down the road, what else would you guys recommend that I do before I decide whether or not I want to flop down $750 for this thing. Any constructive advice is appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
Don't overlook the condition of the accessories, brackets, covers, etc. These can be quite expensive.

I believe that by '92 your looking at a Mk V block, it's ok just keep in mind it's different from the old school Mk IV block.

It will probably have the small "peanut" port heads, ok for RV's and work trucks, but will fall short on higher rpm horsepower for a hot rod.

Consider the fuel injection system, you'll need the ECM and wiring if you're going to reuse it.

There are lots of threads about using these 454 motors, including several about the 454 I'm building using an '85 truck donor.

#7 ·
If the guy is parting out the Burb, with only 142,000 on it, brings some questions up. Is the truck shot, how about tranny? If the tranny is slipping can really undershoot the engine condition.

"round here" you can get a 77 ish chevy (whole truck, driving) with a 454 for $500.

So what are you gonna do with the engine, rebuild for performance, or revive an old farm truck?

Performanc building a BB can get up there in the $$, Depending on condition of the Burb, I would think $750 would be ok for the engine and tranny, but i think you could do better. IMOH.. :cool:

But back to your question, check the oil and antifreeze, you know "head gasket stuff, Valve clatter, well check for the flat cam stuff, bent rod, burned valve. Depending on your application, EFI would bring more money with a complete wireing harness and computer, than carb. Any antifreeze leaks from around intake, heads??

Price and condition of engine, depends on what your future plans are for it?

#8 ·
Thanks guys for your responses. I am aware that the 90's models came with EFI but the guy says it's carb'd so until I see it, I'll take his word for it. It could have been swapped over to an aspirated motor very easily.

The motor is being put into a Chevy Luv as is for now just to get the truck around and will be eventually pulled out again and rebuilt for a strip rod. I am also aware of the peanut heads and they will end up being door stops or scrap metal in place of some aluminum Brodix heads. 92 model is a 4 bolt main Gen V block and it will be my first rebuild on a big block chevy. I already have some aftermarket parts for the block (Victor Jr. intake, mounts, etc.) and I will use what pulleys and parts that I can from this motor to build the final project.

Thanks again guys and I do intend on trying to talk him down from the $750 mark. I'll let you know how it ends up.

P.S. I would just like to say that I appreciate constructive comments that I have received here on the Hotrodders forum. I just cancelled my membership on another forum that will remain nameless, just because I was getting sick and tired of getting stupid ***** comments from people, instead of insight into my question. So thanks for helping out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.