What size bolt is this? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What size bolt is this?

I am working on a front bumper bracket on a 1973 Vega. I am trying to attach the bracket to the frame. A 3/8 bolt is too small and a 7/16 bolt threads in about an eighth of an inch and siezes up. You can still turn it but it is very difficult. I cleaned the threads and applied a lubricant. I thought it might be a metric bolt but I did not think they used metric in 1973.

Anyone know how to determine what size bolt I need?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Sure sounds like a 10 MM to me. Prolly 10 X 1.0
Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

early 70s used metric and sae ,my cutlass I bought new,metric bolt heads are blue standard ere black or natutal ,hope this helps I am thinking Metric 10mm
Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Probably metric. some common metric sizes, M6 x 1, M8 x 1.25, and M10 x 1.5
I think M10 x 1.5 is probably what you have. A Metric 1.0 thread pitch is pretty fine.

I am working on a 1970 Datsun, engine bolts are metric, body bolts are SAE, and engine hydraulic fittings are a British standard.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,075 Posts
You need a good thread gauge and better yet a tap and die set so you can check thread and clean them up.

Brian
Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

isn't the vega an opel based car?
'd not be shocked at all to see metric bolts on it..
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Nope, not Opel based, made and designed right here.

Brian
Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Nope, not Opel based, made and designed right here.

Brian
The Vega was conceived in 1968 to utilize newly developed all-aluminum die-cast engine block technology the first sand-cast aluminum blocks had preceded the decision to build the car by two years. A relatively large displacement engine with good low- speed torque was decided on, with gear ratios for low engine rpm to achieve economy. Engine testing totalled 6,000,000 miles. A pre-test engine was installed in a Fiat 124 sedan for development of the aluminum block, while several 1968 Opel sedans were used for drive train development[9]
Chevrolet instituted a new management program, the car line management technique, to produce the all-new car in two years. The chief vehicle engineer had overall charge of the program. 50 engineers, dedicated to the design of the entire car, were divided into groups: body, power train, chassis design, product assurance, and pleasability. The latter would check continuously on the vehicles on the assembly line, with computers in another program monitoring quality control of every vehicle built.[9] Fisher Body engineers and draftsmen moved in with the Vega personnel.
In October 1968, there was one body style (the "11" style notchback sedan), one engine, one transmission (MB1 Torque-Drive manually shifted two-speed automatic), one base trim level, a bench seat, molded rubber floor covering, no glove box or headliner and no air-conditioning (ventilation was through the upper dash from the wiper plenum). As the market changed, so did the car in development.
December 1968: Hatchback, wagon, and panel delivery styles added; also floor-level ventilation, and an optional performance engine ("L-11" two-barrel) which, predicted as 20% of production, accounted for 75%. Bucket seats were standard. Hatchback and wagon received carpeting and headliners. Optional air conditioning, predicted as 10% of production, rose to 45%.
February 1969: Opel three- and four-speed transmissions (three-speed standard, others optional); Powerglide also added (now four transmissions); mechanical fuel pump replaced by in-tank electric pump; power steering option; base "11" style notchback trim upgraded to match hatchback and wagon carpet and headliner.
April 1969: Gauge-pack cluster, HD suspension, wide tires; adjustable seat back (45% of production); bumpers restyled, lower valance panels added; swing-out quarter window option (10% of production).
July 1969: Electrically heated backlite option (10% of production); "GT" package, $325.00 extra (35% of production); bright window-frame and roof drip moldings added to hatchback and wagon.
This is essentially how the car launched as a 1971 model. Production began on June 26, 1970. After the national GM strike (September to November 1970), bright roof drip moldings were added to the base "11" notchback, with moldings sent to dealers to update units already in the field.
Cars magazine said in 1974 that in the rush to introduce the car with other 1971 models "[t]ests which should have been at the proving grounds were performed by customers, necessitating numerous piecemeal "fixes" by dealers. Chevrolet's "bright star", received an enduring black eye despite a continuing development program which eventually alleviated most of these initial shortcomings.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Um... ah.........I never knew that! However, was there any Opel design work or being GM owned Opel did they simply use the cars to test the Vega engine? Hmmmmm It says "The chief vehicle engineer had overall charge of the program. 50 engineers, dedicated to the design of the entire car, were divided into groups: body, power train, chassis design, product assurance, and pleasability. The latter would check continuously on the vehicles on the assembly line, with computers in another program monitoring quality control of every vehicle built.[9] Fisher Body engineers and draftsmen moved in with the Vega personnel."

Nowhere does it say "Opel designed"? I guess Opel and GM were sort of one in the same being everything done at either one was open for the other to see, were they "one"? I don't know but you bring up an interesting point non the less.

Brian
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

just like today, when we don't have it, they go looking within..
the underpinning of an opel looks like almost a carbon copy..
and the opels are late 60's so?

g.m. was great for taking a platform and spending tons to upgrade it..
for this market
the chevette is from the same mold,, take opel and rework it some ad bamm, new car
Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Bolt size is 10mm.

I put a tap in the hole and you guys were right. It is a 10mm. Thanks so much for the help.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.