What size cables do I need for this amp??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What size cables do I need for this amp???

Okay I dont know much about setting up big loud stereo systems. The only reason why I am putting one in is because a good friend of mine sold his old speakers to me dirt cheap!

I just need to know what size cables I need to hook up the amp (10ga???) and what size fuse (40amp???). Also what size speaker wires from the amp to the sub (12ga???).

I have two 12" subs max wattage 550 each.
The amp is 600 watts at max output.

On a second note. I remember reading somewhere awhile back that you can put a toggle switch on the remote wire I think? So that you can turn off the amp if you wanted is that true???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 12:43 PM

Go to the Crutchfield site, look under "learn" they have install notes for you. Also there is a wire selection chart for your amp.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

With a small amp like that I would use a 8ga power with a 40A fuse. The important thing is to use the same gauge ground as the power and keep it as short as possible.
You can put a switch on your remote wire to turn it off but why? If you feel there is too much base just play around with the settings on your radio an on the amp to get the sound you want. One thing to remember though is a good sub will drown out your mids if they are not powerful enough.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS
With a small amp like that I would use a 8ga power with a 40A fuse. The important thing is to use the same gauge ground as the power and keep it as short as possible.
You can put a switch on your remote wire to turn it off but why? If you feel there is too much base just play around with the settings on your radio an on the amp to get the sound you want. One thing to remember though is a good sub will drown out your mids if they are not powerful enough.

What size wire would you recommend for the subs from the amp???

I ask about the switch because I might not want the bass at the time.

Also I completely understand about the subs overpowering the mids. I have a deck that puts out only 50 watts per speaker. I have 2 pioneer 6 1/2".

To be honest I dont want the 12s. I was looking for a set of low wattage 10s to give a little extra bass. But my good friend sold the12s to me at a price I couldnt turn down for the quality of the subs.

I mean could you turn down two 12s 550watts each (dual voice coil) that sound amazing? I couldnt. . . not for 80 bucks
Old 02-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

Is this going in your El Camino?

If you got a great deal on the subs even better. I just don't want you to be hard on your self if it doesn't sound optimum for the rest of your system. I believe I used 12ga speaker wire. Your best bet would be to go to a installation shop and ask for a 500watt amp kit. It should be only 30 bucks or so and will have all the wires and fuse you will need.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

Yes this is going into my El Camino.

I already know it wont sound perfect. Im not looking to win any sound competitions lol. I am just shooting for a little extra.

I dont listen to rap or country of anything like that Im the rare one lol. I like the hardcore metal bands. Like Dead To Fall, Light This City, Darkest Hour, Killswitch Engage. All my music is a very fast beat. Not much in the way of bass aside from the double bass pedal.

So Ill be setting up the amp to push the subs just enough so I feel and hear them but so that the mids are heard the best.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

I was going to warn you about the bass in a cab but since its metal it wont be a problem. If you haven't already a good alternator should be added. It makes a huge difference. My volts used to drop to 12.5 at idle with my lights, fan, and subs hitting. I added a 140a 1 wire and it was the best thing I did. You may also want to look into getting a capacitor. It keeps a constant voltage on your amp to during the voltage drop periods when it does hit.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

Funny you mention the alt. I just fully rewired my El Camino and I bought a 140amp alt thinking of the subs

What is a capacitor? What does it do?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcaminodragster
What is a capacitor? What does it do?
Its kinda like an accumulator in a water system... like a really quickly charging and discharging battery. It stores up bursts of juice so when the amps take a big flow it does two things... 1) it prevents the battery/alternator from taking big voltage variations, and 2) provides more steady voltage to the amps.

For 600w max (probably 200w RMS) I wouldn't worry about a capacitor. I usually don't include a cap until about 600w RMS or more depending on the age and effectiveness of the factory charging components. I'm currently running two 600w max amps in my car with a 140amp alt and I can't see the lights dim at all.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:20 PM

Last photo:

Thank you

Okay cool

Well thank you very much 1969NovaSS for all your help I went and bought the amp kit you had mentioned. With some speaker wire. . . total came to around 40 bucks.

Now I just have to make the time to install everything. I doubt it will be this week tho I have a busy week.

Anyway thank you again for you help

And thank you curtis73 for explaining what a capacitor does and letting me know not to worry about getting one saves me that much more money

Last edited by elcaminodragster; 02-22-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.