Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What Size Drill Bit???
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by leldai73
no ones over doing themselves, the sheer amount of things there is to know about threads would blow any ones mind. pitch diameter, basic P.D., measurement over wires, best wire size, u.n.f, u.n.c, u.n.s, metric, acme, whit worth,class 1A,2A,3A, or 1B,2B,3B, helix angle formulas, lead, imaginary cylinders passing through the thread for the purpose of measurement, the list goes on and on and on.
LOL.
Yeah ... that over-simplification of thread is one of my pet peeves.

I was at a truck repair shop the other day, and a couple of young guys had just finished constructing a 1" hydraulic hose for a track hoe (where the length HAS to be exact).

They've got a 1" Male NPT on one end and a 1" 37 JIC female on the other. The shop foreman is livid ... and their excuse is "I thought it was just all 'bolt-thread'!"

Needless to say they ended up with about 20 ft of wasted hose that will never fit anything. Sure, some will say that they can "hack it up" and re-use it ... but that seldom happens in the real world, right?