Hot Rod Forum banner

what size motor for a 32 roadster

16K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  Deuce 
#1 ·
I would like to build a 32 roadster but I'm not sure what size engine to run. I would like to get at least low 20's for gas mileage. I was thinking of getting a 4.3L and trans form a late model S-10 (2000 and up). I have not seen or heard of anyone putting a v6 in a 32 roadster, all I see is V8. I would think that a roadster is not that heavy so a V6 should have enough power. I also thought about using a V8 and just changing the rear-end gears when I plan on going on a long trip. But that could be a lot of work. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

#2 ·
moldmaker said:
I would like to build a 32 roadster but I'm not sure what size engine to run. I would like to get at least low 20's for gas mileage. I was thinking of getting a 4.3L and trans form a late model S-10 (2000 and up). I have not seen or heard of anyone putting a v6 in a 32 roadster, all I see is V8. I would think that a roadster is not that heavy so a V6 should have enough power. I also thought about using a V8 and just changing the rear-end gears when I plan on going on a long trip. But that could be a lot of work. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
My experience has shown me that 5.0 HO Ford with factory SFI will easily get 23-26 on the highway at 70 mph in square sedans that weigh 3700 lbs. running weight (turning 1950 rpm @ 60 mph).

#4 ·
If you want the car to be worth anything you have to go with a V8. That said, just about any small block (Ford, Chevy, Mopar) hooked to an overdrive automatic trans with decent rear end gearing will give you 20 MPG or better as long as you don't pump up the horsepower too much.

As a Mopar guy I would council against the small block Chevy simply because there are a zillion of them in duces and who wants just another deuce. I would suggest something different like a small Buick Nailhead, Ford small block, or Mopar 318-360. You might even try a Ford modular motor just to be different.

Good luck.

#7 ·
The comment regarding value is a valid point...if your planning on selling. If you are building it for yourself it's what YOU think will be best. As an aside to the value thing, if you do go with the 90* V6 they have the same bellhousing pattern as the V8, so a later swap would be fairly easy.

#9 ·
I agree with nothing but a V8 for value sake. I also agree with the low to mid 20's mileage on just about any V8, be it Ford, Chevy, or Mopar. All the street rods in our club are powered by V8's. The ones that have OD transmissions and decent rear gears (3:70 or below) get very good mileage on the highway at 70mph.

Vince

#10 ·
You are 26 years old. You will hate a V-6. They just don't sound right. Also one thing to consider, registering the car. If it is a replica and you are going to title it as a special construction, You may be required to have all the emission control stuff that comes with the motor that you use. You should check the laws in your state before you choose a motor so you dont get a nasty surprise at the DMV. If you can title it as a 32 or if Wisc. is easy on registration then it won't matter. The laws here in Cal are making it harder to build a car and register it. Do yourself a favor and check it out now, before you make a decision. Oh yeah, FORD V8 is my pick. 351 windsor or 5.0.

#11 · (Edited)
:D

As one of the few here that has replied that actually owns a 32 Ford Roadster.... :) .....I believe a SBC is the best way .....but I will admit to being biased. Over 25 years of having a SBC powered Deuce will do that to you. ;)

A SBC just fits better than just about everything else. Plenty of power, ease of maintenance and parts availability all make the little Chevy the logical choice.........in my book. Resale too.....

My SBC is 430 Horsepower......and still gets decent mileage . My all steel full fendered Roadster only weighs 2240 lbs. I had a ZZZ crate engine ( 350 C.I. @ 345 HP ) in the 32 for a while ...40,000 miles or so.....and got over 20 MPG with it. That's with a Turbo 400 and a 3.25 gear. Now.I am running a 3.50 with the larger HP and still get 16 to 17 MPG. ....on the highway.

IF you go with the SBC or the V6 4.3 .....get the raised up water pump. It raises the fan 5 and 1/2 inches, has a alternator and A/C mount and uses short water pump pulleys.

A SBF Ford is longer than a SBC....and requires a real set back firewall cut or a shortened water pump and a different oil filter set up. ALL that for 289 or 302 inches. A 351 can be MADE to go in but is even more cutting, and adapting......

The steering is also easier to fit with the SBC....
A 283 or a 305 should get 25 MPG real easy in a Deuce Roadster.... and still be fairly quick....
:D

#13 ·
powerrodsmike said:
You are 26 years old. You will hate a V-6. They just don't sound right. Also one thing to consider, registering the car. If it is a replica and you are going to title it as a special construction, You may be required to have all the emission control stuff that comes with the motor that you use. You should check the laws in your state before you choose a motor so you dont get a nasty surprise at the DMV. If you can title it as a 32 or if Wisc. is easy on registration then it won't matter. The laws here in Cal are making it harder to build a car and register it. Do yourself a favor and check it out now, before you make a decision. Oh yeah, FORD V8 is my pick. 351 windsor or 5.0.
Generally if it is a REAL 32 Ford, then the engine upgrade doesn't matter.

If it is a kit car...with aftermarket frame and plastic body....(and "real title") then you have to be very careful. Several states are revoking registrations on "suspected" fraudulent vehicles.

There is a least one 32 roadster "kit car" with a real Montana title that was built out here and is running around California now... :rolleyes:

#14 ·
Man, thanks everyone for the replies. A lot of good points and things to think about. My thought on the V6. I don't think most people drive their 32's with their foot to the floor. So I didn't think that a big motor would be needed. If I use a GM 262 it has the same trans mounting and motor mounts as a 350. But if what people are saying, I can get 20 mpg with a V8, then a V8 would be a good. I would probable use an EFI 350 and a 700R4 with a ford 9inch. As for registration I have looked into that. From what I found all I need to do is call the Wisconsin DMV and they will issue me a vin number. A kit car is built to match the time you are replicating then all you have to do is match the safety and emission of that time period. I'm sure I would need seat belts. And there is no emission testing in my area(yet). I don't think that's a problem. And the state patrol needs to come and see the car. If my info is not correct I will not be offended if someone corrects me. Sorry about the long post.

#15 ·
moldmaker said:
I would probable use an EFI 350 and a 700R4 with a ford 9inch. As for registration I have looked into that. From what I found all I need to do is call the Wisconsin DMV and they will issue me a vin number.
I had two late model Silverados with the 350 and the automatic overdrive.

The new 1990 Model got 21 MPG on the highway.....with a 3.42 rear
Then I bought a new 1996........22 MPG ....with a 3.08

My new 5.3 Silverado is at around 20 to 21 MPG ......highway.
So a roadster can do better......Mine weighs 2240 pounds......

Also........if you can buy a original title...........do it.......and then stamp the numbers on your frame......top of the frame......just in front of the firewall..........drivers side.....TRUST ME..... down the road.....you will thank me....

#19 ·
Yeah Deuce, those are great engines, but they are also butt ugly for a street rod. I saw an episode on one of the car TV shows where they chose an LS6 to put in a car. One of their techs spent an entire day with a Sawzall hacking off various protrusions. They then went over the entire block with a DA. Then what do you do with those ugly coil packs. Great running engine, but not the prettiest by a long shot.

Vince

#21 · (Edited)
302/Z28 said:
Yeah Deuce, those are great engines, but they are also butt ugly for a street rod.
Vince

I totally agree.........but that's what Moldmaker wanted.......not me.... :D
I like the older stuff with a carburetor....something I can work on......if it dies on the side of the road.

In my 40 plus years of messing with cars....I have

1) replaced a fuel pump, on the side of the road
2) replaced rocker arms on the side of the interstate
3) installed a 9 inch Ford rear axle bearing ( with a side trip to NAPA ) on the road....
4) alternator.....a couple......
5) rear seal on a Turbo 350...in a Advance parking lot.....
6) ignition points quite a few times ( before HEI's )
7) HEI modules
8) thermostats.......

With some of the parts chain having a loan a tool program.....most anything can be fixed now...if you know HOW..... :D

#23 ·
Deuce has some great points for the SBC (and I'm no fan!), and has "been there, done that" -- unlike some of the rest of us. I've seen a lot of different engines in 32s -- from Ardun head A blocks to big blocks. If you plan on driving the thing a lot (and you really should!), you might want to stick with something more driveable like a V-6 or even a four. I saw one with an Olds Quad four with twin Weber carbs sticking out the side -- that was VERY nice looking! It might not bring as much later as a V-8, but you can't tell. A nicely done car should bring close to the same amount regardless of engine, but may take longer to sell because more people look for a V-8.

The 4.3L V-6 is a great choice -- uses the same mounts and trans as an SBC, so it wouldn't be hard to swap in a bigger engine if you or a buyer decides to later. A deuce is light -- it doesn't require loads of power. Another thing in a smaller engines favor -- your insurance rate! Smaller engine = better insurance rate, especially for a young single guy.

A 2.8L five speed from a late Camaro is loads of fun in a deuce, I've driven one of those! Won't turn 12 second quarter miles, but will get in the low to mid 14s (depends on rear gearing and how you drive), which is 1960s factory muscle car territory (usually advertised around 14.5 in the quarter, on average). Handles better than a V-8 because of less weight in the front too. In fact, that car handled really good! Do keep the EFI if you go real small though, a carbed 2.8L is terrible on power, EFI really wakes it up a bit. There's more than one advantage to a smaller engine! Do what makes YOU happy!!

#24 ·
I would go with a Ford inline 6, and get the Aussie FI top end. Run/tune it with Megasquirt. yhou'll have the low end torque of a V8 (which is waht you use on the street anyways) and the fuel economy of a 6. Not as much hp at 7,000 rpm, but who drives at 7,000 rpm? I would mate it to a T-5 tranny- manual trans helps fuel economy and 5 gears is plenty if not too much, 6 is too many. Depending on tire size and OD ratio I'd go with around a 3.5 diff ratio maybe up to about a 4.1 (I don't know 9" gear sizes) in a 8.8" or a 9" if you can find it. It'll cruise real nice just loafing along and down shift to take off. It'll also pull a light trailer if that's your thing.

Keep it Ford, keep it simple, and keep it useable.

#25 ·
If you want the mileage, good power, and a motor that is known for 200k+ service, I'd look to a GM 3800 from a 2000-2002 Camaro or Firebird. The Camaro and Firebird engines are facing the correct direction for the way you need. You have a choice of transmissions OD auto or OD manual. This is a super engine, my Bonneville pulls 30+ on the highway 17+ in town, runs smooth, and has plenty of get up and go and isn't a bad looking engine either.
I still like the cool factor of the BOSS 429 :thumbup:

#26 ·
I know its just another small block chevy but you may look into an aluminum headed LT1 and a 6-speed borg-warner T56 trans from a 94-97 camaro/firbird and some of the corvettes. I have a 94 camaro z28 that went for 178000 miles and would have went more if it didn't start leaking oil from the pan! There were barely any ridges on the cylinders, it was amazing really! I regularly got 27+ mpg on the highway because with the T56 the cruising speed is extremely low rpms!! I also had 3.42 rear gears. The car still went high 13s all day long. I am a believer in the LT1 and they are starting to get very affordable. Also, there is a pretty strong aftermarket for them now.

Another note, you could get an lt1 from a caprice or roadmaster and change the heads and cam.

Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.