What size slicks to run? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 12:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

always use soap or some othe rform of liquid to seal the slicks, but there is no way you are going to get any traction or weight transfer with your suspension setup.

On your comment about my comment. It goes both ways, I am tired of hearing inflated HP claims form people on boards, the stupid TV shows, and people at car shows. It takes a lot of money, knowledge and experience to build that kind of HP out of a 396 that is naturally aspirated and call it streetable. My stocker who makes a hell of lot less HP is not what I call a streetable, it barely idles under 1000 rpm, I have to run C12 and when it gets more than 8 10% leak-down it is torn down

Advertisement

Last edited by BugRod; 08-04-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

No worries bugrod, thanks for the info.

I just get sick of hearing, you can't do that, that can't be right, ect. ect. when it has no relevance to the topic at hand. I can't comment on the technical side of things, as I just don't have the knowledge. All I can say is that I was there when the dyno was done and saw the numbers first hand. It can be temperamental, some days it idles with out issue at around 900, some days it won't say running unless I feather the throttle and keep it over 1100, no idea why, but I just two foot it (pop it in neutral at a red light, one foot on the gas, one on the break), and don't think it's that bad. Maybe it comes from driving old tractors, but I don't think it's that bad, however passengers have asked me how the hell I can drive it in the city.

I realize that there are a lot of idiots around that make stupid claims, but that's not what I'm here for, I have no reason to brag or show off. I just hope to get answers to questions, and maybe impart some of the limited knowledge I have to someone else in need.

Why do you think I won't get traction? I did miss the fact in my write up that the the air bags are over a single leaf, so that may change things (drop the PSI way down on the bags for better transfer, way up when cruising so the *** end dosent scrape on the crappy roads we have here in Edmonton). And I was under the impression that caltracks are really good?

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	39804  
Old 08-04-2009, 11:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastchevy
Bingo, thanks mike....

How do you seal the tires? Using the liquid dish soap method mentioned by ericnova??

Thanks again

James
The only tire I have not had to use the soap trick on was a Hoosier they design the sidewalls not to leak. It does work pretty well and will slow the leaking down quite a bit but not keep it from leaking all together but they all leak a little.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastchevy
sigh.... it's comments like bugrods that swore me off this site a year ago. I have all sorts of reply's to that to completely shut down everything you said but it's not worth my time.

If you believe me great, if you don't I really don't care, I'm not here to get into a pissing match. The car is real, as is the question. If you have an answer, or something to say that is relevant to the the topic of the thread please post it, if not, live by the rule my father taught me "better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open it and remove all doubt."

So again I'll ask,

Mike are you using the soap method to seal the tires? Anyone else out there doing this?

Thanks to those who posted useful info. You input is valuable and very much appreciated.

James
Sorry double post
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

slicks

I'am in mn and we had a guy in a 68 camaro running 10.0s on a 8" slick so some times size isn't everything.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.