What size trans cooler do I need? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

trans cooler

Thanks for all of the great info on the bypass for the trans cooler, I have never heard of one either. I also had not considered the moisture problem in the trans from running too cold. I have seen many tubes that are rusty, I just never put two and two together! That's why I love this board, I always learn something new. I also appreciate the different opinions and view points that others have.

Does this mean that the placement of the aux cooler either before or after the radiator cooler is over!? Or is this used when only using the aux cooler?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rocket
Thanks for all of the great info on the bypass for the trans cooler, I have never heard of one either. I also had not considered the moisture problem in the trans from running too cold. I have seen many tubes that are rusty, I just never put two and two together! That's why I love this board, I always learn something new. I also appreciate the different opinions and view points that others have.

Does this mean that the placement of the aux cooler either before or after the radiator cooler is over!? Or is this used when only using the aux cooler?
The thermostat completely bypasses everything past it. All it does is loop the output line into the input line.

As for how big a cooler is needed. That is a guess in any situation. Go the biggest you can fit and afford. Use two in series if you want to. The principle is like a big engine coolant radiator. The thermostat maintains the minimum temperature, the radiator size limits the max temp. If you have plenty, then the thermostat will keep it warm enough.

To answer your question: Why put heat into the radiator coolant if you don't need to?

OR..... leave the trans go through the radiator tank and then install the thermostat on the output line using it to connect an aux trans cooler. If radiator cooling is not a problem... that is what I do.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:

trans cooler

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Rick
Old 11-12-2005, 10:50 AM

Last journal entry: Completed the side window installation
Last photo:

Hayden coolers recommends a thermostatic bypass if you operate in areas where the temperature drops to 20 Deg. to 30 Deg. below (zero) 0 Deg. ???
Old 11-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM

Until this thread- I have never seen or heard of a transmission suffering from being too cold either, and exactly how were you made aware your transmission fluid WAS indeed not warm enough to evaporate moisture out of itsself? This would be more of a problem in Canada, than Arkansas, and then limited to the cooler months of the winter.

All irrelevance aside the subject here is not enough cooling and what is a figure to go by for enough?

Recapping: I mentioned that the dipstick was rusty above the oil level.

Yes it was Little Rock, Arkansas, in the Spring, and the severe rust showed up in a week! One time it wasn't there, then it was!

It was on a Ford high performance 2.3 turbo AT that came with a factory aux cooler after the radiator tank, and I had added another cooler in series.

After mentioning this, I found a couple other hot rodders that had experienced the same thing. So we all went thermostats.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.