what speed shops should stock - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM
always proceed, go forward

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what speed shops should stock

We're a speed shop in new england and always seem to get stuck with stuff that was bought for stock but ended up being shelf decoration. what do you think your local speed shop should always have in stock?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Genuine speed equipment. That doesn't include fake pillar gauges. mo
Old 10-31-2008, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

A good, decent selection of nuts, bolts, clips, fasteners, rod-ends, threaded rod, steel/stainless/aluminum tubing, hose and fittings and what-not. Kinda like what ACE hardware has, only automotive-specific and not so much home improvement specific. More often than not I find that the Help section and those 2 or 3 revolving displays don't fully cut it - or you'll have to buy an assortment pack or two just for that one clip that you really need.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

OEM oil filters. Motorcraft for Fords, the factory installed filters for Mopar, and GM. Say no to "orange" oil filters.
Oil that is good to use in v-8 engines with non roller camshaft lifters. Example,
Valvoline VR-1 racing oil, in all weights.
I would say no "fart cannon" mufflers for Hondas, but there is probably a high markup for that stuff.
Knowledgeable counter person, or persons. Maybe someone running checkout, or cashier, that is easy on the eyes, with a good attitude, that knows how to smile once in a while. A bonus for the cashier, car knowledge.
I know it is hard, avoid stuff made outside the US borders. keep US dollars in the US. Keep US workers employed making US stuff.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

It is such a diversified market these days it would be tough to single out make specific parts.
A couple of things that comes to mind is a good selection of braided hose and fittings, stainless steel brake lines.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:29 AM
always proceed, go forward

Last photo:

What about manifolds, cams, carbs, tchains, rockers, distributers, shifters, torq converters, gears, tires, lights, dressup, exhaust, wheels, etc. or are these things too much of gambling on what customers might want. I'm just trying to stay away from the whole chevy guys shop or ford guys shop and provide the right stuff for our customers (as all shop owners should, not best mark up or best numbers).
Old 11-01-2008, 10:25 AM

A good selection of small holley parts would be good. Some odd ball tools as well that you cant find any where else.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:14 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by theccrider
What about manifolds, cams, carbs, tchains, rockers, distributers, shifters, torq converters, gears, tires, lights, dressup, exhaust, wheels, etc. or are these things too much of gambling on what customers might want.
I would think the issue with a local speed shop stocking those kinds of parts is that there's no way you'd be able to compete on price with the big mail order businesses like Summit or Jegs. You'd probably get a few people coming in for those parts but given the mentality of so many people I think they would wait a few more days for a part to arrive if it meant saving $20 or $30 on an otherwise identical part.

I'm onboard with the others here in that commonly used and small parts are the way to go. I guess the problem then is that you become more of a basic auto parts store rather than a speed shop.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

mallory distributor parts! the biggest problem i have with the local auto parts is i can buy the whole dist they have it.but if i need the vaccume can for it i have to order it.nobody stocks small repair parts anymore so you have no compitition.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

You will never have the right parts !!!! But you have to make a decision if you want to cater to the the American V8 engined cars or to the ricers. Then there are the trucks - gas or diesel, mini, midi or full size.

SBC parts i.e. manifolds, distributors, gaskets, dress items

SBF parts - same

Then ARP bolts - loose standard sized ones, but what ever can be used for intakes, mains and head bolts. Carbs, standard 600 to 750 cfm Holleys and Edelbrocks.

There is so much diversity in what people want that the "mom and pop" kind of shop has been taken over by specialty shops - and the Summit's and Jeg's of the world have it covered too well and pricewise. Just for giggles, I'd like to know how they can supply so much so quickly and with a reasonable price - that what is their vendor purchase and supply agreement .

Can you get 1 - 2 day delivery from someone like Keystone??

It's a tough market in many ways - and the "average guy" doesn't want what the other "average guy" wants. I like Edelbrock, but he like Weiand manifolds. You'll never win!!! That is unless you have a niche market bound up locally. Then there is the current economic situation in the world - not pretty for the small limited resources entrepreneur.

Dave W
Old 11-01-2008, 11:28 PM
uninteresting default message

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: A couple of pics of the car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

SBC oil filter adapters with no bypass and bolts included.
JEGS couldn't get it for two and a half months they haven't got my business since

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.