what stall convertar, and tranny should i use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

what stall convertar, and tranny should i use?

o.k. im in the process of building a 400hp 350 to put in my 1980 chevy malibu, it has a thumper cam, performer intake manifold, 650cfm carb, and i just had the stock vortec heads machined out.
i have a turbo 350 transmition and i dont know if i should have a shift kit instaled or get a beefier tranny all together, and my other problem is i dont know what stall converter i should use, i have access to a tci 2400, but i dont know if it will give me the launch im going for, im really building this as an every day driver, but, there are so many imports around here that i cant help but run em from light to light, anyone with any sugestions would help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

stall what WHAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffery wells
o.k. im in the process of building a 400hp 350 to put in my 1980 chevy malibu, it has a thumper cam, performer intake manifold, 650cfm carb, and i just had the stock vortec heads machined out.
i have a turbo 350 transmition and i dont know if i should have a shift kit instaled or get a beefier tranny all together, and my other problem is i dont know what stall converter i should use, i have access to a tci 2400, but i dont know if it will give me the launch im going for, im really building this as an every day driver, but, there are so many imports around here that i cant help but run em from light to light, anyone with any sugestions would help.
2500 stall will work fairly good for daily driving with some running it, but to run it harder with more rpm (hope you changed valve springs for the cam) aka racing imports you need a good cam a better intake like an RPM at least and a half decent set of gears so you could better utilize the 3000 stall. A stock t 350 trans with a shift kit holds up suprising well to 400 hp a bit at a time not all day every day. I have ported some performer intakes and ran them with 2500 stalls with the same heads and they ran nice down low to about 5200 rpm but for more I would change up intake and stall to run a bit higher shift point. Hope some of this helps.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

I agree with mud.man.rj the th350 should be good. Just a side question. Do you still have the stock rear end in in? Just curious. I have the same car but mine is Pontiac's version... and a wagon 1980 Grand Lemans Safari Wagon.

Last edited by 80PontiacWagon; 01-31-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Need more info to determine stall speed. Just slapping a 2500 in wont work if your rearend gear ratio isn't low enough. With a 3:42 gear ratio you'll be running around 2300 at 55 mph so it will never be fully locked up at cruising speed. If it's even higher geared you're in worse trouble!
I'm running a 2200 stall in my 71 Camaro and it works just great with my 3:42 rear gears.
The 10 bolt will easily handle the 400 hp you're going for. I run a 8.5" 10 bolt in mine with a built 427 and it's held up well for the last 30 yrs. since I put it together.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Get a 10" 3500 stall and 4.10's. A Transgo shift kit will get it done.

Malibu Traction: Air lift rear air bags (drag bags)
+ rear lower control arm relocation brackets (UMI, Spohn)
Mickey Thompson ET street radials.
Get a driveshaft safety loop.

The thumpr cam wants a modified distributor advance curve.
The typical stock out the box curve will not work well.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Get a 10" 3500 stall and 4.10's. A Transgo shift kit will get it done.

Malibu Traction: Air lift rear air bags (drag bags)
+ rear lower control arm relocation brackets (UMI, Spohn)
Mickey Thompson ET street radials.
Get a driveshaft safety loop.

The thumpr cam wants a modified distributor advance curve.
The typical stock out the box curve will not work well.
3500 stall? You're joking right? When will he ever get it to lock up, unless he's cruising down the freeway? And with 4.10 gears he wont be doing much cruising.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:25 AM

well, i don't plan on having it on many highways, just in town running really, it's got the stock rear end with 4:11 gears. there is only one highway it will be on and that's only for about 4 min to my brother & laws house. if i put the 2400 stall then i should go with the performer rpm intake? wouldn't i have to run a higher cfm carb to? like 700?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 AM

sorry mud-man, i forgot to include that i have replaced the valve springs, but just to the double valve springs, nothing special, and the distributor is MSD. did i screw up or is that going to work alright.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:57 AM

dang, another thing i forgot to mention is the cam, it's a thumper. no special heads just machined the stock heads, mechanical fuel pump, electric fan, 6qt oil pan, high torque starter, high flow oil pump, im ordering the performer rpm intake and the edelbrock performer series 650cfm zinc plated 4barrel, im wanting to get the street scoop 2 but that will be down the road, i have 3 kids that live with me, one on the way, and 2 that don't live with me, my army check only pays so much since im only in the reserves, and my children will always come before my toys, so getting this car down the road will take some time, but it will get done someday, and hopefully before next spring.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
3500 stall? You're joking right? When will he ever get it to lock up, unless he's cruising down the freeway? And with 4.10 gears he wont be doing much cruising.
No I`m not kidding. High stall converters `cruise `very well on the hiway when matched to the right rear gears.

The converter coupling at part throttle while `cruising`is quite good in fact.

One of the biggest mistakes many people make is not picking a converter and gear combo to match the engines power band and assuming that a high stall or gear will be evil.

A cammed up engine has a high rpm power band and is quite happy cruising on the hiway at a fairly good rpm. This is where the engine is operating efficiently.
Most ppor mileage in high perf cars with gears etc is from poorly tuned carbs and ignition timing curve. Especially vacuum advance.

If you want to get the power of a `thumpr cam`and go fast you need to the correct gears and converter to use the power.

When tuned correctly this type of setup is actually quite good on gas.

many people combine a high stall with the wrong gear and then complain about slippage or....

I have a 3500 stall and 4.10`s and drive on the hiway all the time with reasonable fuel mileage for a 460++ hp engine and 11 sec et car.
I drive to the track. The engine is quite happy cruising at 60mph at 3400rpm.
Its a very enjoyable car to drive overall. And will blow your doors off from a stop light.

High perf engines are not efficient running at 2000 rpm.

If you under gear and converter this thumpr sbc combo you will not get the performance you are after and will not save gas. All you will have is a non performing slug with a rough idle.
A 2400 stall`converter is a waste of time and money in this combo.

You got the (4.11) right gears. Now get the right converter for the job.
A 10 inch 3500 stall.

if max street perfomance is what you really want you would want a 750cfm carb and the performer RPM intake manifold.
A edelbrock /1407 or Holley 4779 works very well.

A 650 is costing you about 10hp. The regular low rise perfomer manifold is about 15hp shy of the rpm version, on a engine like yours.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-02-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Jeff: Your thumpr Malibu will be a lot of fun to drive and go like hell only of you choose the right converter and gears to make it all work.

Getting reasonable fuel mileage is all about carefull tuning of the carb and distributor timing curve. A AFR meter-gauge and a vacuum gauge is a big help.

The default out of the4 box carb calibration of any carb is not going to be ideal for your car.
You have to tune it.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

The 10" 3500 rpm converter will perform well. You do not get the full effect of the converter unless you apply sudden amouts of torque loads like half throttle all at once or more. It will do fine with a good set of matched gears.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Hey, Just as a side question, sort of off topic, but when you put the 4.11's in your rear did you upgrade the rest of the housing internals? axles, c-clip eliminators? I know those stock little 7.5" rear ends don't hold up well to power.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

what stal again

You started out as a daily driver, now your up to a street ripper with rpm, it gets tiring trying to keep a converter locked up if you don't it produces heat. So now you REALLY want to build a bit of a street racer and cruise it some. So go 4:10 ratio a 750 carb/ rpm intake and realistically a 3000 stall and you can cruise slow with it locked up with a bit of rpm or blast it and be all around good. I know for myself I would use this setup but also a 700r4 so I could have a lower 1st gear for better bottom end and 4th for any highway with some saving the engine and gas mileage. Each to their own though, lots of opinions.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:08 PM

well, thank you all for trying to get me on the right track, i would really have a nice motor with no attitude if it weren't for you guys, so i think im going to go with a little of what everyone is saying and lean more towards what mudman sead, i think it sounds like a 3000 would be great. ooh, and sorry, i don't know about the internals in the rear end, other then the fact that's it got 4:11's, i had my ex step dad do it for me before he left, so honestly i don't even know if he did it right, the car has been parked since then, sorry i couldn't help yea out. sounds like it's going to be a pretty mean little Malibu, if i can ever find my digital camera i'll take some pic's, if i cant find it i'll just get a new one when i get my taxes. and once again, thanks everyone.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.