What is a street motor? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What is a street motor?

So....I'm having a discussion with someone off line. I am told that all the theory about building motors to race has no bearing in cars that require "street motors" in "street cars". They don't use 5000 Stall converters and don't need power in the mid-high RPM ranges.

I am told that a "street motor" makes most of its power between 5500 and tops out at 6000 RPMs and has a ton of torque down low. Sounds more like a tow truck to me.

My CTS has a redline of 7000, and most cars from the factory are redlined at least at 7000.

It is my opinion that TODAY's street motors are at least 7000 RPM motors, that 5500-6000 is antiquated thinking or for tow trucks.

Can you help me define what constitutes a "street motor". Where should the power band be?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by Jsup; 11-07-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 997 Posts
CTS? Any late model "Hot rod" can't even be compared with "street engine" for goodness sakes! A 7000 RPM SBC is NOT your typical "street engine".

You can't compare them, you just can't. When I think of the difference between a 8000 RPM winding Subaru that I work on that will blow the doors off my 65 Buick Gran Sport loappy cam muscle car. The Subaru could be driven by my wife just as she would drive a Honda Civic economy car. The Subaru has power windows and locks and a/c and idles like my Windstar van but will smoke all four tires and run 13s in the quarter. You just can't compare, it makes no sense what so ever to even put them in the same conversation.

A "street engine" is what every anyone wants to put up with! It makes the most sense to me to run a 383ish torque motor thought.

Brian
Old 11-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Street engine:

The engine in any car I happen to be driving to work that day.
Today--Will be a 225 Slant 6 in the Dodge---for yet another weeklong stay at the airport.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

I think a "street motor" is any motor that will move ANY car at ANY speed,, and still be trouble free for at least 10,000 miles ..with the price of gas,,16+ miles per gallon is a plus..it's been 30+ years since i built a track / race motor,, but it seems like they are always being worked on.. street motors,, you don't even have to pop the hood for 3-5,000 miles..
......or did i miss the concept of street...
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

Remember that scene in Monty Python where the creature (troll?) is guarding the bridge and demands that they answer a question before they pass? I believe the first question was "What's your favorite color?" The knight responds "Blue" without hesitation. He is allowed to pass.

That is very much like asking "what is a street motor?"; the other person can define it however they like since there is no criteria. Even if you say "well, it at least has to run on pump gas", I absolutely guarentee that sooner or later, someone will yell "No! just because I have to steal Nitro-Methane from the local track, doesnt mean I couldnt drive it on the street!!"

About the only thing that you could clearly say is *not a street motor is a top fuel dragster because it would take you 100gals of fuel to drive to the mall...
-J

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.