Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (
-   -   What are these things? (

Z-Money Pit 12-18-2006 11:34 PM

What are these things?
I have seen these clear red vinyl curtains on several of the car and motorcycle building shows on t.v. They seem to be used to separate work stations or to create a separation between different projects (i.e different cars or bikes). You can see through them but they look like a red shower curtain. What are these, why are they used, and why are they always red? I have always wondered about them but my curiosity peaked last week when I ended up at a decommissioned GM assembly plant (my visit was work related). Anyway, there were several of these red vinyl curtains throughout the various assembly rooms that I entered. Curiosity finally got the best of me. Any ideas?

64nova 12-18-2006 11:38 PM

Those are used for welding shields. So you don't blind te worker next to you.

Brian_B 12-18-2006 11:52 PM

What he said. Back 25 years ago they were gray. One of the shops my dad worked in when I was a kid used them. I don't remember seeing the red ones until a few years ago on TV.

Hippie 12-19-2006 05:55 AM

We use yellow and orange at work, with a hundred plus MIG welders going it's real easy to get flash burn........

302 Z28 12-19-2006 06:46 AM

The color really cuts down on welding flash. If you have ever been to the Corvette factory you will see a ton of these curtains separating the welding area from the body/chassis assembly area.


Z-Money Pit 12-19-2006 08:36 AM

Thanks for filling me in!

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.