Hot Rod Forum banner

What Are They Thinking?

7K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  spinn 
#1 ·
Anyone noticed the new triple carb setup from barry grant?

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=210026&prmenbr=361

Call me crazy but is the nostalgic look and theoretical 13 hp and 12lbfttq gain really worth roughly $1700 over a standard rpm intake and demen 650?

I am still having trouble understanding this marketing attempt, were they just bored or are there people out there looking to spend money for the %^** of it?

Just wondering what everyone thought

#53 ·
The test vehicle that the system was first ran on had a worn out engine producing just over 380 HP at the time. It's a 66 Chevelle with a TH350, no stall speed, and a 3.08 rear gear ratio. With a single 4-bl carburetor the vehicle drives smooth but would barely break the tires loose (due to the tight converter, and no gear). By simply installing this system you could break the tires loose at will from a 30 MPH roll. Much better response.

Since a 3x2 setup will have 3 2bl carburetors with smaller venturii than a 4bl carburetor would have when you're driving around on just the primary 2bl the 3x2 carburetor vs. the 4bl will have more air velocity, hence better throttle response.

#54 · (Edited)
your tryn to sell it...im not buyn it

2500 for supposed better throttle response,arguable
and more flow than a performer $100 maifold,what deal..

you never answered what throttle response is???

i break my tires loose at 30 i have 4 barrel,do i have the throttle response of a the six pack system too...lol

somebody has to keep you guys honest!!

#55 ·
Not trying to sell you anything.... People are not installing a 3x2 setup or 2x4 setup on a street cruiser "Hot Rod" for power it's about going for a certain "look" without sacrificing power.

#57 ·
wwtt?

I am curious as to the effects of the BG 3 duece unit on the engine within the power curve. Are there substantial power increases, say in 500 rpm increments from 2000 rpm, on up to the peak power rpm? If you are getting a gain of say 8-9 hp at 2000 rpm and compareable or more gains on up to the ceiling, then it definately has some advantages. What is the rpm curve for this intake? 1500-6500 rpm?

#58 ·
The power band would be 1500 to 6500 RPM.

In our testing we found average tq & hp increase of about 10 ft/lbs, and 10 HP throughout the power band.

#62 ·
for all you wanting to make a statement at the shows. the six pack would be the king of wow. i wish to give barry grant support for this idea. if ideas like this are met with a negative response, they probably wont do it again. i am aware of this and am feeling a liitle guilty. people are asking the right questions,and i bet many will strap these babies on. maybe im just a little jealous knowing it will never be me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.