Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   What is this thing ? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-thing-228259.html)

454 Rattler 01-11-2013 01:00 PM

What is this thing ?

1 Attachment(s)
Someone must know just what this thing is and what it's used for. I DON'T !!

It's been in my "stuff" box for a couple of years now. The name on the plate is AREO-MOTIVE with a stamped model number of 5FAM.

Any ideas guys and gals ?

THANKS !

454 RATTLER

techinspector1 01-11-2013 01:11 PM

My best shot is Static Discharge Reel. Housing is grounded to pole or post or whatever, clamp is reeled out and attached to aircraft while you're working on it, to prevent static sparks that could cause an explosion or maybe wreck delicate instruments aboard.

joe_padavano 01-11-2013 01:16 PM

It's an offloader, used on an assembly line to offset the weight of a heavy tool (like an air ratchet or something) to avoid repetitive stress syndrome injuries. The clip hooks into the tool and the cable is spring loaded to allow the tool to be moved into position while the spring and cable offset the weight.

killeratrod 01-11-2013 01:17 PM

i found their site.

killeratrod 01-11-2013 01:18 PM

forgot the link. neat stuff Aero-Motive, Molex | Motion Savers | 877-832-4154

techinspector1 01-11-2013 01:22 PM

Hmmmm, shows you what I know.:rolleyes:

killeratrod 01-11-2013 01:37 PM

thru the years you forgot more then i will know haha.

496CHEVY3100 01-11-2013 04:28 PM

Their site list it as a tool balancer to off set heavy weight tools

454 Rattler 01-11-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1 (Post 1633621)
My best shot is Static Discharge Reel. Housing is grounded to pole or post or whatever, clamp is reeled out and attached to aircraft while you're working on it, to prevent static sparks that could cause an explosion or maybe wreck delicate instruments aboard.

I gave it to a guy that was in the Air Force and he had no idea what it is.

I was thinking along the lines of what Joe_padavano is saying but everyone else thought it's for hanging your laundry or walking the dog. (and these people are in our car group).

I looked up the web site before I asked you guys but, I didn't get the info that killeratrod found.

Now I just need the time to go through the site and see if it's worth anything.

Thanks for the info. You guys are GREAT.

454 RATTLER

timothale 01-11-2013 04:35 PM

tool balancer

Some of them are adjustable for different weight's of tools. I used a lot of them when designing assembly work stations. They are also used on radial arm saws to retract the saw after making a cut. Osha regs require a RA saw to return to the rest position.

Dean Pearson 01-11-2013 06:37 PM

Very possible it is a tool balancer but it could also be a fall protection device (yoyo) that would attach to a full body harness or safety belt in the old days.
If the cable spools out easily I would lean that direction, if it is hard to pull out or is adjustable as far as how hard to pull out it is it could be a tool balancer.

Dean.:welcome:

496CHEVY3100 01-11-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Pearson (Post 1633759)
Very possible it is a tool balancer but it could also be a fall protection device (yoyo) that would attach to a full body harness or safety belt in the old days.
If the cable spools out easily I would lean that direction, if it is hard to pull out or is adjustable as far as how hard to pull out it is it could be a tool balancer.

Dean.:welcome:

Go to aero motive Web site it has picture ,decription and intended use ,listed as a weight balancer,but it has ben discontinued does not meet Material Saftey Data ( OSHA )

Dave57210 05-01-2014 02:37 PM

When I casually glanced at the model number 5FAM, I thot it said "SPAM"

tresi 05-02-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1 (Post 1633627)
Hmmmm, shows you what I know.:rolleyes:

Actually aircraft grounding wire reels do look very simular. The give away that it was not a ground wire reel was the data plate that gave a weight capacity and a grounding wire would have a copper or copper coated squeeze clamp instead of a caribiner. I only worked on airplanes and helicopters for about 20 years.