Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What tools do you think are necessary for a personal auto shop?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 11:03 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB
Hey guys we're gonna be converting our barn next year to a shop and I was just wondering what tools you guys thought were for sure needed for a shop? Thanks a bunch
Really - start with what I call the "Building Tools" - these are tools or equipment that the building would need or certain design considerations might need to be accounted for.

Insulation: More the better for noise reduction and heating cooling costs - as well as making it easier to maintain an even temp and humidity,

Lighting: Get the 100watt 8ft flourescents at least. they use the same rought watts as a 60w fixture and really give off more light.

Heating: If you can afford it and you're pouring a floor I hear the radiant floor heating is pretty good these days - otherwise I'd get NG or LPG Infrared Tube Style heaters

Automotive Lift: you want to make sure you think about 1 of these first if you want one and you have to pour and concrete as you want the floor thick enough and strong enough to bolt one down. (I curse every time I have to get my fat, old bones down on the cold cement floor, crawl around in the filth - wishing I had a lift)

Air Compressor: If you need one for framing - may as well buy one big enough for the shop. Installing it outside or away from the work area takes planning beforehand.

Garage Doors: If I went to buy some I would spend the extra and get single the rollup style - where the door rolls up at the header of the doorway instead of the conventional style that roll back on tracks - the conventional style blocks many lighting and heating choices.

Once this is covered you'd have a near dream shop right from the start IMHO!

Then I can start spending you money on a list of tools to fill your garage up with!