Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What tools do you think are necessary for a personal auto shop?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I find the tools I use the most are the basic hand tools, wrenches, ratchets, sockets, screw drivers, pliers and vise grips. Also a bench grinder, right angle grinder, cordless drill, good set of drill bits, a drop light, oxy acetylene torch set, and a mig welder. a chop saw is nice, but a hack saw or a cut off wheel for the afore mentioned right angle grinder will work. as far as a lift goes its great...really really great, once you have one you will never go back. but to call it essential is a stretch. lots of people have gotten by with a floor jack and jack stands. if your converting a barn be sure to get a good cement pad poured ABOVE grade so that water isn't coming in all the time we fight a constant battle with that at our shop. and as mentioned before insulation and heat, maybe a wood stove with the cost of oil going up. once you get the basics and start a few projects you'll be able to figure out what else you need....and how could i forget, the least appreciated tool in the shop, that we all should (but most likely don't) use every time we're in the shop...a push broom to clean up when we're done. on that note, its nice to have lots of shelves, bins, drawers and pegs for storing things. keep it all organized right form the start that way your not reduced to paths around the shop.