Hot Rod Forum banner

What trans in a 1974 C-10 chevy truck?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Torque454 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what auto trans would be in a stock 1974 C-10 longbed pickup with a 350 engine. This pickup is a stock truck, so has never been changed. Its a 1/2 ton. Thanks.

#9 ·
What trans

I have a guy who is going to sell me his truck with a new engine in it, but i was not sure about the trans. He is hurting for money due to a divorce. Trucks in real nice shape, and he said he will take $800.00 cash for it. Had the engine put in new here in town so i know who did the work. I cant drive anymore, but my brother and my wife can drive me around, its even got new dual exhaust that sounds great. Good deal or not?.

#14 ·
What trans

I got the truck, but when we hit the foot feed to pass another car it wont kick down to passing gear. All i can find is a vacuum hose going to the trans. Is this the only thing that controls the kick down. Thanks for any help you can give me.

#15 ·
Mrwood said:
I got the truck, but when we hit the foot feed to pass another car it wont kick down to passing gear. All i can find is a vacuum hose going to the trans. Is this the only thing that controls the kick down. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Ther should be a Detent cable that connects to the Carb then down to the right/passenger side of trans by the dipstick tube.

#16 ·
Its a TH400 if there isnt a kickdown cable. Look for a switch and a wire above the throttle pedal. The wire on mine was orange and ran from the fuse box to the switch above the pedal and then from the pedal to the side of the trans. This is more the kickdown. It may have not had a 400 originally and may not have had the kickdown added. That may be why it doesnt kick down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.